Amarra - anyone using it?
Jun 29, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #121 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh I see...because they've got a great rep they don't need to bother us w/ technical fluff. we just have to "trust" them when they say that they do "better-than-bitperfect audio" w/o processing it.

reminds me of what the main doctor says in Half Life 2 : "Let me remind all citizens of the dangers of magical thinking. Be wise. Be safe. Be aware."

or maybe the very high price tag speaks for itself...circular logical at work..."it's so expensive because it sounds so damn good, who cares about HOW and WHY
rolleyes.gif
"

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I would like to know more and believe they will need to explain this better in the near future for now I am cool with what I have heard.

well you'll see I quoted an earlier post where I say I'd like to know more and think they need to explain it, no?

I never did nor do I think anyone stated a price factor in thinking it sounds good. Personally it is a lot for software and the price is going to be an obstacle particularly for those that view software as free.

Why don't you get a listen to it before you dismiss it

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #123 of 920
I'm not sure maybe it seems to depend on the dac this is from their website

Amarra Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What hardware will work with Amarra?

A: Amarra has been qualified to work with these audio interfaces:

• Amarra Model Four
• Amarra Model Three
• Sonic Studio Series 302
• Sonic Studio Series 303
• Sonic Studio Series 304
• Sonic Studio Series 305
• Weiss Engineering Vesta, Minerva, AFI1, ADC2, DAC2
• Lynx AES16e PCIe (Mac Pro)
• RME Fireface 400 and 800
• Benchmark, Empirical Audio, Wavelength
• More interfaces are qualified each week.

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #125 of 920
im willing to bet some people will get this "free" soon enough and it might gain popularity than when those people who don't pay for software can test and load it.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #126 of 920
Add Soniweld Diverter and Decoder to below.

Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure maybe it seems to depend on the dac this is from their website

Amarra Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What hardware will work with Amarra?

A: Amarra has been qualified to work with these audio interfaces:

• Amarra Model Four
• Amarra Model Three
• Sonic Studio Series 302
• Sonic Studio Series 303
• Sonic Studio Series 304
• Sonic Studio Series 305
• Weiss Engineering Vesta, Minerva, AFI1, ADC2, DAC2
• Lynx AES16e PCIe (Mac Pro)
• RME Fireface 400 and 800
• Benchmark, Empirical Audio, Wavelength
• More interfaces are qualified each week.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #127 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadrangulum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALAC and FLAC support are both coming in the next revision.

What jp11801 said is absolutely correct in my opinion. If you have a Mac, you should take up Sonic Studios' offer for a free trial.

I am doing exactly that. I have requested the demo. ALAC support would be huge for me. I don't see re-ripping several thousand discs--or even a few hundred--in my future. If Amarra is all it claims, I could see moving off the AppleTV in at least one of my systems. But that's a decision yet to be made. Am hoping I can get a chance to really try the demo before my vacation later this month and the Bay Area meet.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #129 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am doing exactly that. I have requested the demo. ALAC support would be huge for me. I don't see re-ripping several thousand discs--or even a few hundred--in my future. If Amarra is all it claims, I could see moving off the AppleTV in at least one of my systems. But that's a decision yet to be made. Am hoping I can get a chance to really try the demo before my vacation later this month and the Bay Area meet.

Please update us on your impressions PR. I would really love to hear more about this.

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #131 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1s and 0s cannot be made better, you can change them but it will mean it's worse than bit-perfect.

Intuitively, and objectively, I agree with you Reader. But there are enough people whose opinions bear respect here who have been persuaded, or have even listened first, and then plunked down cash, to at least make it worth the inquiry. That's why I want to find out for myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please update us on your impressions PR. I would really love to hear more about this.

I plan to Bojamijams. If I can get it all set up before going on vacation later this month, that would be ideal. I'd like to have a listening background before the mini-meet in the Bay Area on 8/8, where I understand Amarra might be available for listening. I don't have any DACs that are "qualified" for the Amarra, but what I'll do is set it up on a spare Mac Mini, running into any or all three of my modded PS Audio DL-III, Promitheus DAC, or Valab DAC [which according to Bill Allen does great with the Amarra]. From there into the Apache and out the HD800s and the JH13s. Hopefully by then, I will have my one of my balanced cables for the HD800.

I am a bit skeptical of any sort of "greatest-thing-since-sliced-bread-helps-you-lose-weight-and-have-a-better-sex-life-moose-pee-in-a-can" stuff. And I have run into it in all sorts of hobbies and on every platform I have ever used. I am not so much turned off by their price point; though hefty, I have seen much worse prices for truly professional niche software. And working for a company that does a fair bit of software development, I am well aware of the developmental costs that can be incurred. But I am also aware that our little hobby probably looks like an attractive horizontal move from their niche. And I sure would like some better technical info than we have seen so far. Still, I don't mind trying it out.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #134 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMajor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is an extensive discussion of Amarra over on AudioCircle:
Amarra testing

Thanks for the link!
Heading over to read up on their findings...

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #135 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMajor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is an extensive discussion of Amarra over on AudioCircle:
Amarra testing

Quote:

The conclusion is:

In order to get the same performance with Mac and iTunes that you can get for free using XP, Foobar2000 0.8.3 unmapped, you must spend $1500 on Amarra software. Amarra reduces jitter and avoids the Mac Core Audio stack.

who would have thought such a thing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back