Amarra - anyone using it?
Jun 27, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #106 of 920
Lets say, theoretically, that it does something to reduce the jitter on digital output, via some software that ensures the timing of the digital signal is as good as it can be. That logic would actually make some sense to me, as my DAC is less effected by sources with a lot of jitter, and, does not have the most ideal connection from my computer (optical to PC Link II to BNC coax), meaning that either the only small amount of improvement I hear is negated by one or the other.

This is entirely amateur speculation, of course.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #107 of 920
im willing to try it but i dont want to be locked to a mac

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #108 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im willing to try it but i dont want to be locked to a mac

Then Amarra is not for you, as it is Mac OS X only.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #109 of 920
Quote:

sweet where Quad?

I'm so sorry I didn't respond earlier. There's a local dealer for Sonic Studios here in Las Vegas.

Anyways, I'm going to save my big write up for later but basically, the demo I had at the store sold me on it. I did this test using my DAC, headphone set up, and music so I cannot think of a way for the dealer to pull some shenanigans on me like those phony Monster "tests" at Best Buy. I heard the difference while fooling around with the software myself and did a DBT, identifying Amarra 100% of the time on ten different songs.

I'll be getting my copy this week hopefully.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #110 of 920
Folks I heard the amarra system again last night and all I can say is WOW, before you dismiss this I would encourage you to hear it. Amarra sounded really wonderful and I hope a few more folks can hear it at my upcoming meet in August.
With regards to how it works, I have no freaking clue but I know it sounds great and I have been assured that there is no EQ or DSP in the chain to alter the sound, it is just the sonic studio engine running in the background with itunes as a GUI. Right now it it seems to work with just AIFF not ALAC but I think ALAC is coming.

The system I heard this in also has an EMM Labs stack and the Amarra system to me betters it. The one quibble that is being addressed is some of the set up of the dac is in a pro audio interface and needs to be simplified for home users. This is in the works and should be ready for future releases/updates.

There was a demo of the software yesterday at the computer audiophile symposium so they may have more thoughts after hearing it yesterday.

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #112 of 920
It might sound amazing but how can you have bitperfect and modification unless it is EQ/DSP?

Jun 28, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #113 of 920
Quote:

It might sound amazing but how can you have bitperfect and modification unless it is EQ/DSP?

you may have missed my "With regards to how it works, I have no freaking clue" statement in my post. I don't know how a Meridian 808 works but I know it sounds good. Same thing here I do not know how or what they are doing but I know what we heard last night. PS this was in a fellow members home who bought amarra with no Sonic Studios people present.

What I do understand is that neither you nor I know exactly what is happening when amarra is turned on in a system. Until proven false I'm going to have to believe what I am told by the people at Sonic Studios as they have been a leader in the pro audio industry for twenty years.

The best part is for folks that need to fully understand how it works to be comfortable hey just don't buy it. While I would like to know more and believe they will need to explain this better in the near future for now I am cool with what I have heard.

When amarra was turned on the frequency range was just as extended as off but without any of the upper frequency crap that is present in digital. Again Please do not take my word or anyone else's for that matter. Go and take a proper demo of the software.

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #114 of 920
no the thing is, it does a little EQing as my cousin does this type of work, but what gets me is, how all the higher up's here are so against DSP/eq but are ok with this?

If it sounds better than more power to it, I would use it, but those who looked down on EQ liking this now confuses me.

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #115 of 920
Don't let it bother you. In only a few short months, I've realized this place is full of hypocrisy and ********.

For example, you have a lot of people saying portable amps are useless, pointless, just go for desktop amps.. .then you see people saying the RA1 is amazing with Grado RS'1 and thats the tinyest of the tiny portable amps. So What?

Answer.. ********... rules mean jack here... if you amplify a signal into another amplifier and then AGAIN into another, you'd get 99.9% people here calling you stupid. But I bet you someone here would love that sound instead of going just from DAC to their best amp

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #116 of 920
Quote:

no the thing is, it does a little EQing as my cousin does this type of work, but what gets me is, how all the higher up's here are so against DSP/eq but are ok with this?

If it sounds better than more power to it, I would use it, but those who looked down on EQ liking this now confuses me.

My only issue with eq is most people do not know how to use it. Not sure who the 'higher ups' you refer to are but eq was discussed pretty frequently around here with people on both sides of the fence.
Unless your cousin works for sonic studio I'm not sure how he could speak with any authority on the matter.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #117 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I do understand is that neither you nor I know exactly what is happening when amarra is turned on in a system.
[..]
The best part is for folks that need to fully understand how it works to be comfortable hey just don't buy it.

1) honestly, don't you find it disturbing that in 2009 a company is selling a "bettter" audio media player w/o any technical infos at all?
it'd be like buying an "improved" car for +$1.5K, and the seller NOT telling you what he has changed...."oh well, it's better! take it for a ride, see for yourself
redface.gif
"

I'm sure it does sound better, they're prolly doing some DSP/noise shaping....but we're not in the 18th century anymore, it takes more than "magical" marketing these days...well, except in the audio area where you can get away w/ just about anything(cryo'ed wire, etc etc)
beerchug.gif

2) so you're saying that $1.5K is not enough to demand technical clues...and if we're not happy w/ "magical" marketing, we should just ignore the product? interesting way of thinking
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #118 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) honestly, don't you find it disturbing that in 2009 a company is selling a "bettter" audio media player w/o any technical infos at all?
it'd be like buying an "improved" car for +$1.5K, and the seller NOT telling you what he has changed...."oh well, it's better! take it for a ride, see for for yourself
redface.gif
"

I'm sure it does sound better, they're prolly doing some DSP/noise shaping....but we're not in the 18th century anymore, it takes more than "magical" marketing these days...well, except in the audio area where you can get away w/ just about anything(cryo'ed wire, etc etc)
beerchug.gif

2) so you're saying that $1.5K is not enough to demand technical clues...and if we're not happy w/ "magical" marketing, we should just ignore the product? interesting way of thinking
smily_headphones1.gif

If I had to venture a guess, I think we all find the absence of technical information positively frustrating. You quoted the solution yourself however. If you absolutely need to know how Amarra works right now, then don't buy it. I don't even think anyone's saying that in a smarmy manner either as that exhibits a great deal of consumer sense and purchasing judgments really aren't the business of anyone else.

On the other hand, it's quite rational in my mind to make a purchase anyways as Sonic Studios is not just some upstart audiophile company. Amarra is backed up by a rich history of experience and technological leadership.

Further, I see nothing wrong with "oh well, it's better! take it for a ride, see for for yourself." Why not try and make a purchasing decision based off of first hand experience?

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #119 of 920
oh I see...because they've got a great rep they don't need to bother us w/ technical fluff. we just have to "trust" them when they say that they do "better-than-bitperfect audio" w/o processing it.

reminds me of what the main doctor says in Half Life 2 : "Let me remind all citizens of the dangers of magical thinking. Be wise. Be safe. Be aware."

or maybe the very high price tag speaks for itself...circular logical at work..."it's so expensive because it sounds so damn good, who cares about HOW and WHY
rolleyes.gif
"

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #120 of 920
That's not what I'm saying at all.

As I said in my earlier post, I am bothered by not knowing how Amarra actually works (though to be honest, I think their website explains almost as much as it can without divulging the source code) but I've tried it and liked it and coupled with their legacy in the industry, I felt that was enough for me to jump in.

And once again, if that doesn't sit well with you, you can cast a vote of no confidence by keeping your dollars in your pocket. That doesn't bother me at all because it isn't my business and like I said, perhaps it demonstrates some consumer wisdom. But if you can, I do think you should take the free trial. What's wrong with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back