Amarra - anyone using it?
Dec 11, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #916 of 920
I’m currently in the process of trying to create a system solely to use Amarra luxe again….

I wish it would work on JUST an iPad, but I guess I’ll have to go the route of-

newer mac mini with Luxe < DAC

Controlled by my phone with the app.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendation for this combo, or others?

I would need to buy the Mac mini instead of an iPad to steam using Luxe….

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #917 of 920
Have you compared it to Fidelia?

Compared to which one? Waay back, when Fidelia was still supported, I owned a copy. Compared to Amarra and Audirvana, it was of much lower fidelity. As a result, I never used it. Amarra became my reference player, still is, while I use Audirvana as a darker, less revealing backup.

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #918 of 920
I’m currently in the process of trying to create a system solely to use Amarra luxe again….

I wish it would work on JUST an iPad, but I guess I’ll have to go the route of-

newer mac mini with Luxe < DAC

Controlled by my phone with the app.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendation for this combo, or others?

I would need to buy the Mac mini instead of an iPad to steam using Luxe….
Hey man,
I run Amarra on both an ancient 8GB Intel mac mini as well as my M1 MacBook Air. Basic mac minis are available at nice prices from Costco as well as Apple’s refurbished gear program. Where I live, the e–waste recycler has really low cost refurbs, and Craig’s List sometimes has decently priced used ones.

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #919 of 920
Hey man,
I run Amarra on both an ancient 8GB Intel mac mini as well as my M1 MacBook Air. Basic mac minis are available at nice prices from Costco as well as Apple’s refurbished gear program. Where I live, the e–waste recycler has really low cost refurbs, and Craig’s List sometimes has decently priced used ones.
I appreciate that. I was looking at both eBay and Craigslist. I didn’t know there was a refurbished gear program… I’ll look at that as well.

I’m currently between the Air, or, a mini + pad.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #920 of 920
Running a music server “headless,” no display, has advantages in SAF or Spousal Approval Factor and amount of real estate, but there are times that a laptop is appreciated, as when the computer hangs or you need to configure some network setting.

BTW, you’ll find Apple’s refurb program in their footer with the link, Certified Refurbished. Minis are $509 and come w/a one year warrantee; tough to argue w/that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back