Amarra - anyone using it?
Mar 11, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #886 of 920
Anyone else experiencing crackling sounds during playback sometimes? Seriously difficult to diagnose the cause but I figured I would ask here to see if the problem could be with the Amarra client or if it is something else in the chain.

Hey Bitsir,

When I’ve had this behavior w/Amarra or other audiophile player apps, it’s usually because either the host is “busy” doing too many other tasks, or the sample rate playing back exceeds the abilities of the system as a whole; host computer + DAC. For instance, my ancient host+ USB DAC (Mytek Brooklyn) has trouble w/DXD (8x) native file playback, but it can deal with an 8x MQA file no problem.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #887 of 920
I am using Amarra SQ+ for playback from my Mac Mini (media server) and MacBook Pro (does all the rest). I have found it particularly effective when playing from Qobuz to my Hugo 2 when I am using headphones (Beyerdynamic T5P-Mk.2. However the app is a bit buggy with oddities like double speed playback or no playback sound at all, where you have to start a stream from Qobuz direct to my main system DAC, a Benchmark Media DAC-3L, and only when it is playing properly at the correct speed, fire up Amarra. This is mostly on 96/24 files. This happens on both my main system Benchmark DAC and on the Hugo 2, so Amarra driven problem not DAC specific. I also often have to go into settings to get it to fire up from Qobuz. Now I don't know if this is a Qobuz or Amarra problem or a sync problem between the two.

Dec 6, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #888 of 920
Hello, a newbie here. I have the same album twice, one is ALAC and the other one is FLAC; Amarra deluxe shows it as one. First 12 songs of the album are the ALAC ones, last 12 are the FLAC ones. How can I make that they show as separate albums, please?

Dec 6, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #889 of 920
Hey there sleepless64,

First thing I would try is altering the metadata of one of the two albums. I use iTunes but there are many other apps that let you edit metadata. Try adding “[FLAC]” to the end of the album name to distinguish it from the ALAC version. With different album names, the two versions will be treated as two different albums.

I assume you have two versions of the same content for comparison purposes? Unless something is terribly wrong with your playback chain’s rendering engine or you have a errors in your file system, they will sound the same as the rendered bitstream will be identical. :wink:

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #890 of 920
Amarra SQ+ does not work with Big Sur. Sonic Studio are aware of this and are apparently working on an update but no estimated release date. Given that the beta version of Big Sur has been available for close to 6 months, this is less than epic service for quite an expensive bit of software.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #891 of 920
Hey there sleepless64,

First thing I would try is altering the metadata of one of the two albums. I use iTunes but there are many other apps that let you edit metadata. Try adding “[FLAC]” to the end of the album name to distinguish it from the ALAC version. With different album names, the two versions will be treated as two different albums.

I assume you have two versions of the same content for comparison purposes? Unless something is terribly wrong with your playback chain’s rendering engine or you have a errors in your file system, they will sound the same as the rendered bitstream will be identical. :wink:
Thank you very much. It worked by altering the metadata. Fixed.

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #892 of 920
There are so many bugs need to be fixed for the Win10 version. However, the software haven't been updated since the end of last year.
The news should be read as
"Amarra Luxe Scores BUGs on List of Windows Music Players for Hi-Res Audio"

1608091356732.png
1608091356732.png

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #893 of 920
Amarra SQ+ does not work with Big Sur. Sonic Studio are aware of this and are apparently working on an update but no estimated release date. Given that the beta version of Big Sur has been available for close to 6 months, this is less than epic service for quite an expensive bit of software.

Just found out that Fidelia also doesn’t work properly on Big Sur.

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #895 of 920
Good reason to avoid generic computing OS‘s like the plague for audio.

Well, not that I disagree, but I got limited space and also rather spend extra cash on new pair of Stax )

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #896 of 920
NEW BUG FOR AMARRA LUXE IN WINDOWS 10

I cannot log in to Tidal in Amarra. The reason?
It seems that Tidal requires you to complete a "captcha" to log in regularly, but this captcha isn't prompted when trying to log in to Tidal in Amarra and instead
it simply says "login failed". I know for a fact that I am entering the right username and password.

This needs an immediate fix!!!

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #897 of 920
I can only presume everyone at Sonic Studio who sell and presumably write the code for Amarra software products, have p***ed off for the duration of covid and are not bothering to update any of their products to work on the latest operating systems or hardware, in my case 2 x M1 Macs an Air and a Mini running Big Sur. Just not good enough for what was an expensive piece of software. Would have been better off using shareware, then at least when it stops working, it has not cost you anything.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #898 of 920
I can only presume everyone at Sonic Studio who sell and presumably write the code for Amarra software products, have p***ed off for the during of covid and are not bothering to update any of their products to work on the latest operating systems or hardware, in my case 2 x M1 Macs an Air and a Mini running Big Sur. Just not good enough for what was an expensive piece of software. Would have been better off using shareware, then at least when it stops working, it has not cost you anything.
So frustrating. I'm just in love with the Amarra sound, it's got that special analog, vinyl smoothness that's missing in other players I've tried.

It's such a shame that their client and software support sucks, they're sitting on a winning ticket yet they refuse to cash it in.

The client runs like it hasn't been touched for 15 years. Just fix it and then you can all swim in money!

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #899 of 920
Apr 16, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #900 of 920
The problem is that the Russian, Korean and Chinese scumbag hackers have spoilt the game for everyone. All companies are now running so scared of security breaches and put in so many levels of security checking, that it makes life impossible for people to use their services and products. I am currently stuck in the UK due to Covid but I needed to access my French bank account online to see if a very substantial travel refund had been paid into it. My French bank has added yet another layer of security to online access (it was already difficult enough with constantly changing numerical pass codes), where you have to receive a code by SMS on your registered phone. You have to confirm the phone number before this happens but in order to do that, you need another security number. The bank in spite of knowing I am in the UK, sent the security code by regular post to my French address. The code expires after a week, which is less time than it takes a forwarded letter to get from France to the UK, if I were able to arrange that. I spent nearly two hours on the phone this morning to different people at BNP Paribas and got nowhere trying to get round this blockage. For "security reasons" the bank was even unable to confirm if the payment had been received or not. Moronic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back