Amarra - anyone using it?
Aug 5, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #151 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by dugq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but itunes on the mac is bit perfect

Design w Sound » CAS 7: iTunes PC 8.1.1.10 problem

Very good link. Some straightforward analysis with unambiguous conclusion - smells like a breath of fresh air! I note comments at the end (See below)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
2 comments to CAS 7: iTunes PC 8.1.1.10 problem
Tommy
May 27th, 2009 at 6:10 pm
If the itunes is bit perfect and transparent, why those expense software like Amarra can improve the sound quality?
admin
May 27th, 2009 at 9:47 pm
Hello Tommy,

Amarra has some user features which makes it a better choice, although Amarra also uses iTunes as database library arrangement. I can name two good features.

Amarra automatically changes sampling rate based on the file format. This is very good feature when you have a mixed sampling files on one play list.
Amarra provides volume control which is better design than iTunes one. The Amarra volume control supports remote by iTunes/iPhone. This provides a total solution
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is the case Itunes Amarra for the Mac seems a lot of $$$s to spend just to avoid having to manually change audio settings (bit rate).

Does Almarra bring anything else to the table for Mac SQ apart from this?

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #152 of 920
Hmm...I trust Lee's recommendation. He's screwed around with more gear than 99% of the people on this board. He told me that no PC audio software has made him want to abandon his CD sources, only Amarra. I may have to go for the Mini version, just want the meat and potatoes, no gravy.

People may call this software ridiculous (just saw that the regular version is $999 on sale) but people routinely spend twice what the Mini costs on one power cable. How are they not the crazy ones when this is a major change to your transport?

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #153 of 920
I've been demoing the full Amarra for a few days now. It definitely makes a difference, but I am not sure what it is. My listening notes are all over the map. I am hampered by the fact that all my good equipment is hooked up to an Apple TV. My MBP also has all my files, but I am only set up to play out of USB into an iBasso Viper [with the HiFLight opamp kit that sounds like the Predator]. I re-ripped a few discs into AIFF [will be nice whem Amarra supports ALAC and FLAC], and as I said, I can hear differences, but am not sure what they are. More listening is in order. I am still troubled by the Amarra "black box," i.e., not knowing what is truly going on, and I am still unsure what this might mean for my choice of interface. I use an AppleTV right now, and while it won't play my DVD-Audio files, or rather iTunes on my MBP won't sync them over there, I love it. But the prospect of Amarra, and possibly a Sonic Studio—which I heard yesterday at the NorCal meet, and it sounded quite good—might convince me to switch to a Mac Mini and the Front Row interface.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #154 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...I trust Lee's recommendation. He's screwed around with more gear than 99% of the people on this board. He told me that no PC audio software has made him want to abandon his CD sources, only Amarra. I may have to go for the Mini version, just want the meat and potatoes, no gravy.

People may call this software ridiculous (just saw that the regular version is $999 on sale) but people routinely spend twice what the Mini costs on one power cable. How are they not the crazy ones when this is a major change to your transport?

For the record, I don't receive any compensation from Sonic or anyone else for recommending Amarra, I do it strictly because I really do think it is a step forward in digital playback. I don't even offer it for sale, one needs to talk to VRS or Sonic for that.

I haven't tried Amarra mini yet, just the full version, which I have running on multiple Mac computers.

Lee

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #155 of 920
Lee, if you provided this information elsewhere, my apologies for redundancy, but what hardware are you feeding with the Amarra software?

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #156 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lee, if you provided this information elsewhere, my apologies for redundancy, but what hardware are you feeding with the Amarra software?

Any variety of systems, you can look at my profile for the headphone gear I own. I have a crazy amount of home gear as well.

My main reference/control "speaker based" system is a set of Sonicweld Pulserod's fed by a Sonicweld Diverter and a Mac using Amarra.

I also use it on a few other more "reasonably" priced systems I have set up for variety and design purposes.

My main reference/control headphone system is either HD800's, ED9's, or ED8's, (my PS1000's, which will hopefully arrive this week...been playing the waiting game....will most likely join the three listed as a "reference" can) powered by a Sonicweld Decoder driven by a Mac with Amarra.

I do have multiple headphone systems set up as well, as I have a sickness and am addicted to all things headphone, so I may be listening to anything I have, on any given day, depends on the weather.

I blame Dan Millheim and Craig at Whiplash Audio for getting me "into" the headphone part of the hobby...

Peace,

Lee

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #158 of 920
First I need HD800s, then a Diverter, and finally Amarra. I like the look of the Ref Three and all as a convertor, but if it doesn't even have a 96/24 chip, just an off the rack USB solution, then it is less interesting to me. Makes me think it's not going to benefit me over my little Pop Pulse.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #159 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
…the prospect of Amarra, and possibly a Sonic Studio—which I heard yesterday at the NorCal meet, and it sounded quite good…

Dude, sorry to ask a stupid question but, what NorCal meeting are you talking about?

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #160 of 920
Put a deposit on a usb key for the trial period of the Amarra Mini today, 90% sure that I will get it after doing countless A/B using the demo(has dropouts on demo mode) with other transports, computer and otherwise. Knew it would be soon on my plate after picking up a macbook pro at the end of last month.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #161 of 920
I just heard of this thing today & right
after hearing about it, my wallet caught
on fire.
darthsmile.gif

I'll just have to take all of you guy's word
for it that it's the thing to have but I
probably won't join the inner circle. $395
for the mini is kind of steep. Plus, I'm not
sure the gear I have would do it justice,
plus having to get a 1Tb external drive &
re-ripping everything to ALAC.

Sadly, this app will have to be last on
my list of things to have (down there
with high-priced cables). I could get
the Wadia 170i or a DACMagic for about
the same money..something tangible that
I can feel.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, does anyone know if they will sell
it on Amazon? The company I work for
has an awards program where I can accumulate
things like Amazon gift certificates. I don't
mind blowing award money on things like
this.

Thanks,
Twitchy

Aug 23, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #162 of 920
I actually just got the 1 TB external hard drive, that's so funny. Amarra mini came in the mail yesterday. I am still waiting for the modified DLlll dac, hope it works with Amarra, my Dacmagic does.

Here is what I am hearing after intensive A/B in yesterday when i was done converting my files to wave and AIFF....It kills itunes alone, takes out all the ragged roughness and just plain better audio. It seems to kick on Foobar thru my PC as checked before with the demo and cutouts. It actually makes the computer audio listenable and not nail bitting.

What it hasn't seemed to accomplish for me(and this may be attributed to the dacmagic usb input verses a digital cable) is that it doesn't have the transparency of my Oppo disc player. It seems to have a touch less dynamics too. It is so marginal that you really have to a/b carefully back and forth to hear the dynamic difference but the transparency is noticeable. Like i said above though, the Oppo is coming into the Dacmagic thru a high end digital cable and of course the Amarra is coming into a usb input so I am not sure it is a fair comparison....and compared to itunes alone it is...well no comparison.

So I guess the questions I have to answer are: 1) will the DLlll's usb input solve some of the difference, and 2)Do I ever want to elect to use audio out of my computer instead of CD's.

Probably bite on this one though. I have 30 days to decide, hope my PSaudio DLlll comes with in that time to help the decision.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #163 of 920
Hi Dave,
What USB cable are you using? When I upgraded my USB cable to a Ridge Street Audio Alethius! USB cable it made a jaw dropping difference to the sound quality. I'd say it was on a par with spending more than $1000 extra on a better DAC.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #164 of 920
I am using a high end Cryo-parts usb cable, when i shifted to it 6 months ago it did make quite a difference. I think some of the problem is the dacmagic's usb input is not as good as its digital input. Also I don't know if it is even possible to get the same transparency with a computer as a dedicated disc player. Tell you though the Amarra has fixed my ongoing issue with fatigue, you may have remembered it when i was searching for warmer tubes for the Zana Duex.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #165 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually just got the 1 TB external hard drive, that's so funny. Amarra mini came in the mail yesterday. I am still waiting for the modified DLlll dac, hope it works with Amarra, my Dacmagic does.

It will work, however, you won't be able to listen to anything above 16/48 via USB.

Did you get an external Firewire drive? Try not to use a USB external HD when using Amarra.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I guess the questions I have to answer are: 1) will the DLlll's usb input solve some of the difference, and 2)Do I ever want to elect to use audio out of my computer instead of CD's.

Maybe. The DLIII uses a unremarkable USB input chip, however, maybe the mods that you are having done will help. The DLIII sounds quite good (for the price) through the S/PDIF input, IMO.

Peace,

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back