Am I the Only Person Out There That Prefers IEMs Over Full-Size Headphones?
Dec 1, 2011 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

BassInMyFace

100+ Head-Fier
I find myself always preferring to listen to IEMs over full-size headphones.  I cannot even pointpoint why I like IEMs more, but I always find myself selling full-size headphones to buy more IEMs.  I can officially say that I own only IEMs now.  I find myself preferring to use them in any situation as well, whether sitting at home in my office on the computer or out-and-about in public with my DAP.  I no longer utilize IEMs solely for portablility but for all listening experiences altogether.

I may like them more because of the "built-in" isolation effect, how easily they can be driven without the need for an amp (for most IEMs at least), or simply because I barely realize that they are there without a heaping mass of metal on my head like some full-size headphones.  The top tier IEMs' sound quality is becoming equal to most full-sized headphones too in my opinion (except for the $1,000+ reference full-size headphones).

I guess I'm just curious if I am the only person that feels like this and no longer uses full-sized headphones?  Does anyone else agree and do the same?

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 30
Absolutely agreed. Portability, isolation, and comfort were major factors for IEM's. SQ, detail-wise at least, to me is relatively similar at high levels(Custom IEM's versus LCD-2's). It feels unnatural to have this big block of wood or plastic on your head

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 30
I do use my iem's a lot and if I had to settle on just one phone it would be my JH13 but I do like to use full size phones

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 30
I like IEM's way more than cans though I do have some cans.  I agree with you on the IEM sound quality vs full-size, it take pair of expensive cans to compete with say my Ety HF5's or my new TF10's (which I just love).  You can get the same sound quality out of some $200 to $300 IEM's vs $600 to $800 cans ,thats just my opinion anyway.

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 30
I like my IEMs better than my cans, it's better isolation, lower profile attracts less attention etc.  Ive got some Grado 325i's I use for home listening, but generally I wouldn't take full size headphones out.

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 30
I agree, I do not care for wearing headphones.  I had to do it professionally for years and after trying my first pair of cheap of IEMs I was converted.  Ultimately I do not like stuff touching my head, be it a hat or anything else.  Isolation, even from IEMs that are considered poor noise isolators, is usually superior that that offered by headphones.

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 30
I'm probably in the minority: I dislike IEMs and mostly use earbuds. Sometimes I use portable headphones (I've got, among others, ATH ES10, ATH ES7 and Sennheiser HD25 1:II).

I don't need isolation if I go outside. I want to be aware of the world around me, especially if crossing a street or something. Also, I dislike shoving something into my earcanal. If I do it, it is to keep sound out, i.e. at a concert, and not let sound in.

Well, different flavors for different people. I just wish there were more high end options when it comes to earbuds. But if there was as many different earbuds to choose from as there are IEMs and canal phones, it would be much more difficult to pick something. Now I can buy 10 different earbuds and pretty much own the best of what's available today in earbuds.

So in looking for more good earbuds, I'm going back in time to the Sony and Aiwa models of the late 80ies/early 90ies. That's a fun and kind of expensive hobby since these vintage earbuds are becoming more expensive each year that passes...

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 30
I do love my JH13's and they probably get the most time out of any of my phones, as they are great quality for on the go, working out, sleeping etc.    But when I want to sit back and be blown away I use full sizes (LCD-2/HD800.)  Love the speed, clarity, and balance, portability, ease of use/drive on customs though.  If I could only have one headphone, it would be my customs.  

It's like comparing apples to watermelons.  Sure, watermelons are better (especially served cold at a summer barbeque) but between the hassle of luggling one around with you every day and the "stigma" of carrying a large knife around you're better off with the apple.

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 30
Have beginnings of agreement with the op particularly as some quite inexpensive IEMs (GR07, PFE 112) ,when carefully amped, in my opinion show up the depressing mediocrity of some "mid fi" full size cans - I'm thinking of HD650, AKG 701 et al.
Lately I've been listening to my iems on my home system more and more.

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 30
isolation creates a blacker background and less distraction from outside noise when you're listening to music. in most cases they do not need an amp to sound their best. i definitely prefer iems! most of the discussion in this sub-forum happens to be for iems
etysmile.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 30
I'm new to good equipment. IEMs are great but my ears are getting tired of that vacuum pressure. I will keep using them but I want to combine IEMs with good quality earbuds which I don't have yet. I don't like cans because I feel uncomfortable wearing them but I wouldn't mind to have one pair to listen occasionally.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
I like my IEMs better than my cans, it's better isolation, lower profile attracts less attention etc.  Ive got some Grado 325i's I use for home listening, but generally I wouldn't take full size headphones out.

I agree with this - when I'm out I like to keep to myself and attract little attention and IEMs are so inconspicuous. I don't have any full sized headphones for home... I might have to look into some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back