Am I reading this right? (Curse you, Head-Fi!)
Aug 31, 2010 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zmd

500+ Head-Fier

I've been happily using the PX200-II for two months now and I'm starting to feel the itch to upgrade again (for no apparent reason). So I go online and spot a HD25-1 II brand new, that's about 3X the price of my current PX200-II (this being a deal - it's usually 4X over here).

Now, seeing that (a) I like the sound of the PX200-II and (b) the graph above makes me think they have about the same sound signature, should I try to sell the current ones and go for the HD25? Are they really worth 200$?
Or, more specifically, what would justify a threefold price increase?

My own personal theory is that the new PXs are somewhat of a successor of the old and prestigious HD25s - judging by graphs and second hand impression alone. I have never heard a set of HDs, mind you.

I'd really like |joker|'s input on the matter, since he is the resident portable guru.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 7
FR graphs do not tell you everything there is to know about a headphone.
Things like quality of soundstage, instrument separation, etc. of a headphone cannot be concluded from just looking
at a graph. To really tell the difference between headphones, you must listen to them first.

Also, |joker| already compared both here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-47-portable-headphones-compared-maxell-dhp-ii-added-08-30

The hd 25-1 II won by a long shot.

Edit: Just because the headphones are vintage, doesn't mean that they are worse than what is being offered today. Just take
a look at Grado's very own HP 1000

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 7
I know he did, read it and re-read it a few times. The PX200 won when it comes to soundstage.. So it's not that cut and dry.

The point of this thread would be, I guess, to either have someone tell me it's not worth the huge price difference or to push me further into headphone insanity with reasonable reasons.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I'd really like |joker|'s input on the matter, since he is the resident portable guru.

Did you read his portable headphone shootout? If not, I would suggest reading his comments about the HD25-1 II. It can be found here.

Quote:
zmd said:

The point of this thread would be, I guess, to either have someone tell me it's not worth the huge price difference or to push me further into headphone insanity with reasonable reasons.

That will be a question that will boggle Head-Fi'ers minds for a very long time. Think of the AD700 vs AD900. Although the improvement is only slightly, some claim it is worth paying $280 over $90, even though it is 3x as expensive. Is it worth 3x the price? Of course not, but for some it definitely will be. It just depends on how much you want to pay for that margin of improvement.

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes, go for it.

Even if the px 200 II won in soundstage, the difference between a 7 and a 9 is still a lot. I've tried various headphones/IEMs that are in his reviews
and when it came to the sound quality between the phones that I've tried, |joker|'s numbers made sense. The px 200 is not a better headphone (technically) than the
HD 25, but he gives credit to it when credit was due - by complementing its strengths over the HD 25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back