Alternatives to Audiolab M-DAC?
Jul 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

aphinity

100+ Head-Fier
Think I might just pull the trigger on the Audiolab M-DAC.  Looks like a winner......

Unless, someone has a better option sub-$1000 that drives headphones and monitors well?

Thanks.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 36
+1 as i want to know the same.
maybe a less costly solution without headphone amp. but i'm a believer of "what you pay is what you get" (at least most of the time) so probably it will be the mdac.

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 36
+2
Currently have it narrowed down to either the M-DAC, or something from Audio-gd.  It seems like with the Audio-gd choices you are likely to be able to get a more powerful headphone amp with your DAC (built-in or separates), but the DAC portion isn't going to have all the bells and whistles of the AudioLab product.... luckily the M-DACs are currently all sold out for North America so I have a bit of time to decide.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 36
the Audiolab M-DAC is compatible with the 240v residential service in the United States, right?

i still have a few more weeks until the silver M-DACs are back in stock for North America....

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 36
bump for any recommenders who want to chime in for top Audiolab DAC alterbatives in the sub $1k range....

many thanks for your thoughts, folks.

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 36
M-DAC alternatives:

Yulong D100, Matrix Mini-I, Audio-gd NFB-5, DacMagic Plus and the Asus Xonar Essence One come to my mind. All of them sub-$500 apart from the last two.

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 36
The M-DAC is such a versatile component that without knowing what your specific usages will be it would be hard to give a recommendation. At the price point you'll find products that have aspects of it's versatility but I don't know that you'll find anything else that does everything the M-DAC does with the sound quality it has.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 36
i don't know but now i tend to buy an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC used if i can find one. I've read a rather negative statement on hifiwigwam which got my concerns confirmed. i've had these concerns that its rather not the ideal DAC for long term enjoyment. Can somebody tell me what the difference is between micro- and macro dynamics? because the hifiwigwam user claims that the M-DAC lacks in microdynamics.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:
lol, I have an M-dac and it what you are saying is complete ********, it lacks in microdynamics?
it's the best dac for 1000$ period.

Quote:
i don't know but now i tend to buy an Eastern Electric Minimax DAC used if i can find one. I've read a rather negative statement on hifiwigwam which got my concerns confirmed. i've had these concerns that its rather not the ideal DAC for long term enjoyment. Can somebody tell me what the difference is between micro- and macro dynamics? because the hifiwigwam user claims that the M-DAC lacks in microdynamics.

i personally never said this sentence as you can read above.
but it was my fault i was just expressing my anxiety because i want to get it right if i spent so much money. nevermind
Edit: ahh nevermind i can get my info from somwhere else.
Unsubscribed.

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 36
Oh well.. the communication went a bit wrong there i guess... 
blink.gif

But yea, i don't think the M-Dac lacks in the dynamic department. And have never heard anyone else saying that....

beyersmile.png

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 36
newbie question for American M-DAC owners:

will the M-DAC work OK with the 240V outlets in the US?  it pretty much plug and play in the US once you get the right computer updates/drivers installed?

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:
newbie question for American M-DAC owners:

will the M-DAC work OK with the 240V outlets in the US?  it pretty much plug and play in the US once you get the right computer updates/drivers installed?

Yes the M-DAC works with the 120 Vac residential service in North America.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #15 of 36
So I thought I'd start a new thread about getting a DAC, but hijacking threads is more fun :D (and stops the crap threads).

I am looking for something sub £400, preferably about the £225 - £300 mark. Possibly £350 if its v.good.
My requirements are:
  • Audio from my PC Via S/PDIF/Toslink/USB to a DAC.
  • I have no requirement for DAC to have a built in headphone amp (nor do I want one) but if it comes with it - bonus feature.
  • Output via Phono and balanced output (I will sacrifice balanced if DAC is very good)
  • Multiple inputs as I have a few sources
  • One of the options below :D

My current options are (by what I've read and availability in UK):
  • Matrix Mini-i - £225
  • Peachtree DAC•iT - £285
  • Arcam rDAC - £300
  • Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus - £350 (Seems ideal - I know system matching can be tricky but I've got a decent kit to match)
  • Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - £400- Ideal but out of my price range? Unless someone wants to sell me one.

In terms of sound - any of these are better than what I have but I'm tempted by the DACMagic plus the most as it looks the best (personally) and I would like a fair bit of detail from my setup. Warmth is not neccessary as I have my HK to do that for me.

Setup will be: Source -> DAC-> Fiio e9 -> Headphones or Source-> DAC -> HK Amp -> Mordaunt Short MS902i's which match very well with the amp I have.

Looking to buy ASAP so help please. Thanks.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back