Alternative to Future Sonics Atrio?
Aug 8, 2009 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Meer

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here. So I hope my question doesn't sound stupid.
wink.gif

About a year ago I bought a pair of Future Sonics Atrio IEMs. They were the first pair of somewhat high end phones I've ever bought, and as soon as I tried them I fell in love with them. The sound was amazing compared to what I was used to, and the noise isolation was great.

But the problem is they broke, three times! Twice the right phone suddenly stopped working, once the left. Luckily they have a warranty and each time I was able to get a replacement, but after this last time they broke I'm fed up. Going through three pairs of phones in a year is ridiculous. Good quality phones shouldn't break every few months.

So I'm looking for a different brand. Something in the same price range with a similar sound, but which will be more durable.

I read many reviews before I bought the Atrios, and they all sounded like exactly what I was looking for, and they were, until they broke. I heard them described as having a dark sound (as apposed to bright like some other IEMs), punchy, and strong bass but not overpowering.

That's what I'm looking for. Also noise isolation is very important to me. Is there something like that, similar to Future Sonics, but with a better track record of lasting a long time without breaking?

Aug 9, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 27
I'd second the FX500 recommendation as far as sound signature is concerned. But only with reservation, because of the OP stating that noise isolation is very important. The FX500 are vented and though they isolate surprisingly well for open phones, isolation is clearly below the Atrios.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 27
Monster Turbine?
Also, I have put my atrios through heavy use and they are still holding up, with the exception of having the halves of one separate cleanly once, but that was easily fixed with a dab of superglue. The atrios actually have a track record of good build quality, moreso with version 2 (no memory wire). A better track record than the Turbines, I must say. The cable on the Atrios is much better than that of the turbines.
The only thing I can think of that could kill them is fluids entering the driver through the nozzle or something like that.
Whatever the case, you might be hard-pressed to find something that will hold up like that if you've managed to break 3 pairs of atrios somehow
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 27
Atrio has some of the most solid build quality among IEM that I have seen. Unless it is just a string of bad luck that three different sets fail on you, I think I would suggest you be extra careful on your next pair of IEM. They are not the kind of things that you can put into back pocket, wrap around the iPod, or simply toss into back pack. A bit of caring goes a long way.

Oh, welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 27
The FX500 isolation should be fine unless you are in a very noisy environment or plan on using them as earplugs with no music playing. I find that when listening at low to moderate volume I can't here anything else going on in the office, which can be its own issue at times...

Aug 9, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever the case, you might be hard-pressed to find something that will hold up like that if you've managed to break 3 pairs of atrios somehow
wink.gif

Well, I don't have a clue what I could have done to break my atrios. I don't think I am very rough with them. When not in use they are usually just sitting on my desk. I don't travel with them a lot, I don't tightly twist up the cord, I'm usually just sitting at my desk. I didn't do anything really traumatic with them like swing the cord around, bend it or pull it, drop them in the toilet, leave them in a pocket and put them in the wash, use them as a lasso to rope cattle, etc.
wink.gif
They just all suddenly stopped working, with no apparent physical damage that I could see.

All I can think of is that the cord did once or twice get caught on a doorknob or something and get yanked a bit as I was walking, although they never broke soon after that. The cord didn't seem damaged and didn't loosen.

And I do use them extensively, for hours at a time usually most days.

In any case, next pair of whatever I buy I will try to be more careful with them, maybe I am being rough and just didn't notice it.

I will consider the JVC FX500. Although yes, noise isolation is a big concern of mine. Although I am usually not in an extremely noisy envorment like a subway, I am very sensitive to the noise around me and I like to have it blocked out as much as possible. Also I use them when cutting the grass often in the summer. I was very pleased with how well my atrios muffled the loud rumble of the lawnmower and still managed to keep the music clear and detailed. I'd like something that could match up to that.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking to upgrade my NE-7m's, and this thread is turning me off from the Atrios...would Audeo PFE's be a good alternative...?

I'm all for the Atrios. My gf has a pair of 7ms and they sound pretty good. The atrios are capable of hitting some very low notes and do a good job of handling the highs and the mids. Build quality is sturdy. I accidently put them in the washing machine and it came out fine. The M5/M8s are mid-high tier IEMs rivaling the Victor FX500 and the Monster Turbines.

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

I've been looking to upgrade my NE-7m's, and this thread is turning me off from the Atrios...would Audeo PFE's be a good alternative...?

They're entirely different earphones and if its build quality you're concerned about, go with the atrios. The atrios is a quite a bit bassier and warmer than the more detailed PFEs. Both have their fans.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will consider the JVC FX500. Although yes, noise isolation is a big concern of mine. Although I am usually not in an extremely noisy envorment like a subway, I am very sensitive to the noise around me and I like to have it blocked out as much as possible. Also I use them when cutting the grass often in the summer. I was very pleased with how well my atrios muffled the loud rumble of the lawnmower and still managed to keep the music clear and detailed. I'd like something that could match up to that.

FX500s isolation is certainly good enough for office, bus or average street noise, but sadly can't really cope with a noisy subway or a lawnmower. In fact, out of my IEMs only the CK100 has isolation comparable to the M5, the SE530 even a bit better.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #13 of 27
Fx500 has about the same amount of bass as atrios but it might be too bright sounding for some. The cable quality isn't as good as atrios, not to mention it can be too short (normal cable) or too long (with extension cable) to be convenient. And there's the rediculously small case.
Never heard the turbines but its probably worth the try. But in terms of build quality, it's not easy to find another like atrios.

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

If you are being turned off of the Atrios for build quality reasons, I can attest (owning both at some point) that the Atrios are far superior to the PFEs in build quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back