Alternative to Bose On Ear headphones
May 4, 2011 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

xkfow

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Bose On ear headphones which I use daily. After two years of usage, the ear covers need replacing due to the plastic being brittle and breaking. Replacing them will cost $100, compared to the cost of $250 for buying a new pair.

Before I throw more money into these, I am wondering if anyone more expert than me could recommend any other similar headphones at a similar price range.

I originally purchased the Bose On ear headphones for two main reasons, I loved how they block out almost all sound, and compared to everything I have had in the past, they are so much clearer, especially at the bass end. I am a bass player, so being able to hear the bottom end clearly is very important to me.

May 4, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Thanks for the reference, I should also mention that I walk around with these a lot, ie 30m walk to walk, so I am not comfortable with headphones that are too bulky.

HD25-1 II is hardly bulky. So, I vouch for them too. :)

May 5, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 11
They are on my shortlist. I have been doing some reading, and I am wondering if the Audio Technica ES55's would be a step up from what I have now?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-es-55

I assume from the price they are not as good.

May 5, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 11
Get the HD 25-1-IIs... if not then the Beyer t50P or DT1350s for a more metallic can. the Earsuits are decent as well.. or you can try.. Fanny Wang!!! on ear wangs!!

May 6, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 11
I have also been looking for an alternative to Bose OE, I tried the ES55 yesterday and they were very good.  I prefered them to the Bose.

I would have bought them there and then but I just wanted to try a pair of AKG K450 as well.

I should be able to do that next week. 

May 6, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
They are on my shortlist. I have been doing some reading, and I am wondering if the Audio Technica ES55's would be a step up from what I have now?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-es-55

I assume from the price they are not as good.

You'd be surprised.  Bose products are known for being overpriced - usually headphones half and even a quarter of the price can sound better.

But I'd also go for the HD25-1 II.  Great for their price.  You could also go for the Phiaton MS 400 if you wanted something a little flashier, but they're pretty big relative to these.  They do fold up though.

May 20, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
$100 for earpads??!!. Is that what Bose quoted you?

This is the Bose store in Melbourne (Australia) CBD.  Everything in Australia is excessively expensive. Partially because equipment such as this has so many taxes on it. I an not up to date with the latest tax info but I believe the tax would be at least 35%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back