Alternative to Algorhythm Solo?
May 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

csteimnetz1

Head-Fier
When I first saw the Head-Fi TV episode for the new Algorhythm Solo I was immediately interested but when I found out it costs $580 I was a little disappointed. So I was wondering if anyone was aware of any other products out there that can take a digital signal out of an iPod but are also portable. I don't think there is anything else out there but always good to check. I am just trying to save my wallet but I guess that is futile. Thanks 

May 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
GO DAP series, i think there are 3 models, the latest model is Go Dap X

This looks to be promising yet there is not very much info on their website about it yet. I will definitely follow this company. Thanks

Quote:
Fostex hp_p1, listening to mine right now with ATH-ESW9.

Yes, I have seen the HP-P1 and it does cost a little more but you also get a amp I believe. Although it is still more than I am looking to spend now. Maybe down the road.

Quote:

I did not think that FiiO E17 had the ability to take a digital signal out of iDevices although I could be mistaken.

May 31, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 16
No.
Using the e17 or fiio e7 with an lod means you are only bypassing the ipods amp.
The e17 dac is not used when ipod/lod/amp/headphones.

Only algorthym solo , fostex and godap are the portables that can bypass the ipods inner dac.

E17 etc are for ise with laptops etc. They cant take the digital signal from an ipod.

May 31, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 16
Do take note that if the Go-DAP X is based on the Go-DAP 4.0, then there is a chance that you'll have use the Amp with the DAC. i.e. you can't decouple the two.

Meanwhile for the Fiio E17, it is (UNSUPPORTEDLY) working with the iPad via the Matrix Audio USB-DDC & the Apple CCK.

Edit: just noticed the OP said iPod, not iDevices in general. Ignore the Fiio E17 comment above as that's strictly iPad.

May 31, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Do take note that if the Go-DAP X is based on the Go-DAP 4.0, then there is a chance that you'll have use the Amp with the DAC. i.e. you can't decouple the two.

So it looks as if the Go-DAP X will not be able to extract a digital signal from the iPod which is a shame.

Quote:
Only algorthym solo , fostex and godap are the portables that can bypass the ipods inner dac.

Then it appears as the only real choices are the AlgoRhythm Solo ($570) or the HP-P1 ($650). I better start saving. Thanks for the your input.

May 31, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 16
You have an iPod Video.....get that thing iMod'd and use an amp, then you won't worry about the added bulkiness and get similar attributes as the CLAS as it also has a Wolfson DAC chip in it. Also would be cheaper. Might even be able to find someone to diyMod it and put in internal caps if you don't want to use a specialized LOD

May 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
You have an iPod Video.....get that thing iMod'd and use an amp, then you won't worry about the added bulkiness and get similar attributes as the CLAS as it also has a Wolfson DAC chip in it. Also would be cheaper. Might even be able to find someone to diyMod it and put in internal caps if you don't want to use a specialized LOD

I am not familiar with any iPod modifications. Sounds interesting. Could you point me to some more info on it?

May 31, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 16
PM sent with three links you should find quite educational. I'm getting the modification done to my iPod Video very soon. Just got all the money for it saved up to get a 240GB HDD installed and then the upgrade to bypass the internal amp
Quote:
I am not familiar with any iPod modifications. Sounds interesting. Could you point me to some more info on it?

May 31, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 16
Hope you don't mind me jumping in. Thought I'd just clarify a little bit more.

Note that the iPod can already do a line out to an external amp without the iMod.

The difference between the iMod+external amp & stock iPod+external amp is that the iMod further simplifies & shortens the connection from the DAC to the line out dock by bypassing Apple's resistors/capacitors/inductors, replacing with better quality (or preferred) capacitors.

I did my own diyMod with Elna SLIMIC II caps, courtesy of another Head-Fier. Now although the iMod means a more direct access to the Wolfson DAC, note that the iPod's DAC may be different from the CLAS DAC & shouldn't assume that they have the same SQ. Some trial & error in choice of caps are required (if diyMod...if RedWine iMod, you're at their mercy of choice of Caps)

Assumption: you have a iModdable iPod in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back