Alternate ear pads for the Sennheiser HD 203s.
Mar 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

swaffleman

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering if anyone knew of where I could get some better ear pads for these. Ideally I'm looking for one that will create a little more space between my ear and the driver housing. My issue with the stock pads is that my ears will touch the housing and after a while that gets uncomfortable.

Interestingly, I am using the pads from the Maxell DHP iis right now, since my Maxells have become defunct (you all were right about them falling apart, that's the last time I'm buying anything from that company). Those pads fit perfectly, are nicer, and more comfortable. 

However, I would still like some even thicker ear pads of the same size, if anyone knows of any.

I really like these headphones by the way. I still use them as my main one. I just don't like how the driver housing protrudes slightly from the ear cup (thus making them come into contact with my outer ears, since they are closer). The head band on mine don't clamp very much either so other than this little issue, they are ideal. Incredible sound for the price.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Ooh! You should do a review!
I was considering buying this as my first not-low-end headphone, but I picked something else, because there's virtually no info on the HD203s.

On topic: I'm pretty sure the hd202 Mk. II pads and the EH 350 pads would fit. I think that they all feel pretty much the same, though. :/

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 10
I have a review that I did nearly a year ago in a couple of months from now!

It's on the front page now, since I felt inspired to update it with how they sound after almost a year of use.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
I have a review that I did nearly a year ago in a couple of months from now!

It's on the front page now, since I felt inspired to update it with how they sound after almost a year of use.

Oh, well durr.
I am a silly person!
i wish I'd found that review 2 months ago. Unfortunately, I am apparently incapable of effectively utilizing the search function.
dt880smile.png

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 10
What did you end up going with?

It's not too late to get a pair of these. They go for like $40 at most best buys. Best buy has been carrying quite a few Sennheiser products these days. Obviously none of the really expensive models, but a mid range Sennheiser model still sounds better than most.

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 10
I ended up with some JVC HA-RX900s. They sound really nice, and they're comfortable, but they're heavy (~.8 lbs without cord) and they creak.
blink.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 10
I haven't heard them. They have mostly good reviews on Amazon though. I bet they are pretty nice. I'm just such a Sennheiser fan boy at this point. I really like the darker and thicker and sometimes airy sound they have. Most of the time they are pretty balanced too.

Interestingly enough, I just learned that the HD 203s are a newer version of the eh 150s, which I also own. They sound almost the same. There are some things the 203s do better but they 150s have a more fun sound (also a smaller frequency response...they only go up to 18k htz).

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
They are bulky, yes...but heavy? 
rolleyes.gif

For me, coming from some HD202s, that's a yes. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I haven't heard them. They have mostly good reviews on Amazon though. I bet they are pretty nice. I'm just such a Sennheiser fan boy at this point. I really like the darker and thicker and sometimes airy sound they have. Most of the time they are pretty balanced too.

Interestingly enough, I just learned that the HD 203s are a newer version of the eh 150s, which I also own. They sound almost the same. There are some things the 203s do better but they 150s have a more fun sound (also a smaller frequency response...they only go up to 18k htz).

Yeah. They sound nice and clear, but I'm not too fond of some of the higher-pitched noises it makes.

...So that's why the eh150s look so similar!

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Well I honestly think that they only redid the 150s as the 203s for two reasons...one, the title "HD" is more recognizable, so from a marketing standpoint it makes more sense to make it that, and two, the head bands on the 150s tend to be way too tight, and I noticed that the HD 203s, while the exact same design, have a more flexible and larger headband, which makes comfort much, much better. I actually still use my 150s, but I'll literally take the ear cups off of their headband and snap them into the 203 headband (yay for interchangability!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back