Already own Triple.fi 10s, about to buy some Sennheiser IE 8s....
Oct 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #16 of 37
Hey there Magic X. Through my experience, you are right about the burn-in affecting the sound of the IE8s. For me, the bass only started to make a serious appearance at 700 hours, while the drums gained impact only about 1000 hours into the burn-in. I feel that the IE8 actually has a very neat midrange and highs, but they are masked by a veil and are often overshadowed by the mid-bass hump. A good amp would serve to ameliorate the sound sig. Just tried it today with a RSA Mustang. Very promising. Just remember, patience is a virtue, my friend. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
Hey there Magic X. Through my experience, you are right about the burn-in affecting the sound of the IE8s. For me, the bass only started to make a serious appearance at 700 hours, while the drums gained impact only about 1000 hours into the burn-in. I feel that the IE8 actually has a very neat midrange and highs, but they are masked by a veil and are often overshadowed by the mid-bass hump. A good amp would serve to ameliorate the sound sig. Just tried it today with a RSA Mustang. Very promising. Just remember, patience is a virtue, my friend. 
beerchug.gif

Well...considering I've got about $170 leftover in Amazon gift card money, what would be a good amp? The FiiO E5 amp looks nice and affordable for the price.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #20 of 37
Give the mod a shot Magic, I really thought the decrease in isolation was totally worth the SQ improvement. You don't have to go nuts with it, even a little bit will make quite a large difference. 

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #21 of 37
I own a pair of TF10's and I was able to try a pair of IE8's at an INMOTION store in an airport.  My immediate, and only response was that they were SUPER SUPER SUUUUUPPPEEEERRRRR dark.  Sounded like the equalizer was all messed up.  Certainly wasn't a reference headphone that's for sure.

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #22 of 37

Quote:
I own a pair of TF10's and I was able to try a pair of IE8's at an INMOTION store in an airport.  My immediate, and only response was that they were SUPER SUPER SUUUUUPPPEEEERRRRR dark.  Sounded like the equalizer was all messed up.  Certainly wasn't a reference headphone that's for sure.

I wouldn't say that they're super dark in their sound signature, but the IE8s are definitely darker than the TF10s. However the IE8s aren't meant to be neutral sounding at all - I would say that they're meant for a "fun" sound signature.

After a couple of hours with these IEMs, I love them to death, if not moreso. I didn't want to take them out of my ears last night when I wanted to fall asleep, so I almost fell asleep with them still on. 
etysmile.gif

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #23 of 37

Quote:
I wouldn't say that they're super dark in their sound signature, but the IE8s are definitely darker than the TF10s. However the IE8s aren't meant to be neutral sounding at all - I would say that they're meant for a "fun" sound signature.

After a couple of hours with these IEMs, I love them to death, if not moreso. I didn't want to take them out of my ears last night when I wanted to fall asleep, so I almost fell asleep with them still on. 
etysmile.gif

try to eq them so the midbass is less dominating.  They sound even better then.. When I turn the eq of they sound crappy now..  Here are my eq settings, might be useful for you (check the picture). My bassport is fully opened btw.

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #24 of 37

Quote:

etysmile.gif

That's not hard to do since they're one of the most comfortable earphones out there. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #25 of 37

Quote:
That's not hard to do since they're one of the most comfortable earphones out there. 
biggrin.gif

I agree with you. 
biggrin.gif
 I've been laying in bed for the past hour with them in just listening to music. They're so comfortable it's like they're almost not even there. It's strange because I once thought that the Triple.fi 10 Pros (with the flip-side mod) were fairly comfortable, but now I'm reconsidering that position. :p

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #28 of 37
The most fun part about owning the ie8 is the burn in... I read some where that they burn in according to the music you listen to (nice if true, making each burnt in ie8 unique to the owner's listening preferences)
I ended up selling my tf10 first just to see how the ie8 will sound when fully burn in, although the tf10 were awesome too. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #29 of 37

Quote:
I agree with you. 
biggrin.gif
 I've been laying in bed for the past hour with them in just listening to music. They're so comfortable it's like they're almost not even there. It's strange because I once thought that the Triple.fi 10 Pros (with the flip-side mod) were fairly comfortable, but now I'm reconsidering that position. :p

I used to wear them going to bed but the TF10 raped my ears. 
eek.gif

PS - I like using smileys 
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #30 of 37
So as it turns out...I've been up since 11 pm listening to music with my IE8s. I CANNOT take these out of my ears. Also, I am finding it near impossible to go back to my TF10s now. The TF10s do have more pronounced treble, however I feel that the amount of detail between them and the IE8s are similar, the difference being that the IE8s are more smooth and laid back and very non-fatiguing to my ears. The TF10s let me hear every detail in the treble range that's for sure, but after listening to the IE8s I believe that the TF10s were too bright sounding. The IE8s' treble range, while not as pronounced as the TF10's, sounds more natural to the ear. After listening to one of my favorite pop punk albums of all time with the IE8s (Cartel's 'Chroma'), there is no way in hell I can go back to the TF10s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back