Already own Triple.fi 10s, about to buy some Sennheiser IE 8s....
Oct 18, 2011 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

MagicX

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi! :)

So about 2 1/2 years ago I bought my first high-end IEM, the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro. A year prior to this purchase, I had gotten a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pros. I enjoy the clarity of the Triple.fi's detail in the treble range, however the bass detail and soundstage I feel could be better. The midrange was detailed but slightly recessed so it seems to get lost whenever I listen to music with them.

Now, I'm about to jump the gun and purchase a pair of Sennheiser IE 8s from Amazon, but would like to know if people could try to describe to me in as best as possible a way the differences I would most likely notice. The sound signature looks to be quite different, however I have heard that it has a "fun" or "bassy" sound signature which would be something I would much like. I do not mind if the music is colored by them since my Triple.fis are quite good at being neutral sound-wise. If anything, I would hope that these IE 8s sound more "natural" and make songs come alive.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 37
The IE8 is definitely more "fun" than natural, and the high end isn't quite as detailed as that of the Triple.fi 10. They had too much midbass for my liking.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 37
Was the treble detail lacking enough to where it would sound like the Shure SE530s, or is there still plenty of treble detail? Also, could you explain the midbass part of the IE 8s?

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 37

Quote:
Was the treble detail lacking enough to where it would sound like the Shure SE530s, or is there still plenty of treble detail? Also, could you explain the midbass part of the IE 8s?

Going from memory (It's been a while since I've heard either the IE8 or the SE530), I think they are about the same, treble-wise. To me, the IE8 sounded bloated and boomy due to the excessive midbass-boost.

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 37

Quote:
Hmm.....well I hear that since the IE 8s use dynamic drivers that the sound signature will become better over time with burn-in, correct?

That is correct. However, their sound signature as a whole won't change, and it is very different than that of the TF10

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 37
just eq the midbass down and they sound great (to me), natural sound, huge sound stage, great bass and smooth highs. I've owned the se530, tf10 and ex700. And the IE8 is my absolute number one because they sound so relaxed.

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 37
Well everyone, I've taken the plunge and successfully ordered the Sennheiser IE8i from Amazon directly (the IE8 version was out of stock, and it was about $30 more in price too, so whatever :p ). In total $292 for the IE8i version direct from Amazon, and one-day shipping...can't wait for these IEMs to get here tomorrow! :D 

If the cable becomes an issue, I'll just replace it with the regular non-mic version. :)

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 37

Quote:
You could get a non mic IE8 for $255 shipped from JR if you're in the United States. Good thing Amazon has a great return policy.

I do realize this, however I've always trusted Amazon the most as my preferred online retail store. I ordered the IE8is directly from Amazon by the way, so there is no possible way these could be fakes (not bought from the seller marketplace or a "fulfilled by Amazon" seller). 
gs1000.gif
 Besides, I had over $350 in gift card money that I needed to use on Amazon for something :p

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 37

Quote:
I do realize this, however I've always trusted Amazon the most as my preferred online retail store. I ordered the IE8is directly from Amazon by the way, so there is no possible way these could be fakes (not bought from the seller marketplace or a "fulfilled by Amazon" seller). 
gs1000.gif
 Besides, I had over $350 in gift card money that I needed to use on Amazon for something :p

Oh, congrats then! Maybe Amazon will carry the IE80 within a month and you'll be able to trade for that. Gift card money is always nice.

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 37
Hahaha, that's actually not a bad idea. Return them since Amazon's return policy is fantastic, then perhaps upgrade to the newer version. *grins*  However, I may just fall in love with the IE8s...

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 37
Oct 20, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #15 of 37

Quote:
I thought the IE8s were a nice upgrade over my TF10s with Lune cable when I first got them. They extremely dependent to insertion depth, the shallower the insertion the better the SQ and you may look into tip extenders for IE8s as those really elevated their performance

http://www.head-fi.org/t/430955/want-even-bigger-soundstage-with-your-ie8-the-must-have-tip-combination-with-video-instruction-and-impressions

Thanks for the heads-up on that mod! While I probably won't try it (seeing as I like my isolation), that is one crazy mod. I'll keep it in mind. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back