ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #331 of 1,147
received the Pan Am. Sounds great feed by the Algorthym Solo, not so good the MacBook Pro. I go into system preferences go into sounds select the ALO via usb as the output. I suspect this is an analog feed not a digital as the volume can be controlled on the MacBook. How do i get a digital feed to the Pan Am? 

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #332 of 1,147
received the Pan Am. Sounds great feed by the Algorthym Solo, not so good the MacBook Pro. I go into system preferences go into sounds select the ALO via usb as the output. I suspect this is an analog feed not a digital as the volume can be controlled on the MacBook. How do i get a digital feed to the Pan Am? 

USB is digital, so you are good there...

Make sure your mac is not altering the feed in any way ( EQ, special effects, etc) also check for proper output sampling rate.
Max out the volume on the laptop and control it from the Pan Am

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #333 of 1,147
Oftentimes, analogue input resolves details better than USB input does. Why? Could be controller issues, could be computer noise. I would suggest using the Pan Am via battery and fed by analogue sources for best possible sound quality.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #334 of 1,147
I recommend setting the volume control on iTunes to maximum to ensure you aren't potentially degrading the digital information.

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #335 of 1,147
Just got my CIFTE 5654 tubes in the mail today, MAN!!! Do they sound nice!!!

I think I am done tube rolling with the PanAm, I think these are the tubes for me!!!
beyersmile.png

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #337 of 1,147
  Just got my CIFTE 5654 tubes in the mail today, MAN!!! Do they sound nice!!!

I think I am done tube rolling with the PanAm, I think these are the tubes for me!!!
beyersmile.png

What are the sound characteristics of the CIFTE 5654?
I have settled on the Mullards, and really love them. There is something sweet and open in the mids that makes the sound very expansive. But, the bass is not as punchy as the Centrance Hi-Fi m8. While I am very happy with the Pan-Am/Mullards, (it edges out the HiFi M8 in overall quality), I would like to find tubes with a bit more punch if that is possible from the amp.

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #338 of 1,147
USB is digital, so you are good there...

Make sure your mac is not altering the feed in any way ( EQ, special effects, etc) also check for proper output sampling rate.
Max out the volume on the laptop and control it from the Pan Am

went into audio/midi changed sample rate to 24/96. Thanks for the heads up much improved!

thanks

Oct 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #339 of 1,147
it is amazing how mych better the $9 Russian tubes sound than the "stock" tubes! I have yet to roll in the Siemens.

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #340 of 1,147
Just rolled in the Siemens. A bit bright as has been noted. however easy to tell that these will be the best of the 3 available from ALO. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #341 of 1,147
anyone else tried using anker astro pro with the pan am? it says output at 2A. isn't it twice of the walwart?

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #343 of 1,147
  anyone else tried using anker astro pro with the pan am? it says output at 2A. isn't it twice of the walwart?

It's OK to use a power supply that offers more Amps than what the load requires. 

It's not OK to use a power supply that offers a different voltage (or a voltage that's not polarized correctly at the connector).

Mike

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #344 of 1,147
Hello all just need some advice on my new Pan Am I got today. I have the Passport and Gateway connected correctly and I have a USB connection running at 96/24 in Windows 8.

Now my issue which I think is due to needing burn in time on the stock tubes, is that on the LCD-2 I notice that on songs with a lot of instruments/background music start to get slightly distorted. I understand that the Pan Am should have enough power to drive the LCD-2 at High Gian Volume on medium level.

I have a Schiit Lyr as well and the LCD-2 don't occur the same symptoms. Do you believe running pink noise for a certain amount of hours will resolve this?

Cheers.

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #345 of 1,147
Just a update, bit more burn in and its better. What I also found out is that I'm used to the amount of watts the Lyr outputs and treating the Pan Am that it can pump out that much juice. Putting the volume just below medium sounds fine for now.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back