ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Mar 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #166 of 1,147
Has anyone been able to try this Amp/Dac combo with some Fa-011's ? just got them and I will be looking to buy (eventually) a better amp/Dac to get me going until im a millionaire :p

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #167 of 1,147
Quote:

What's these?

Must be Santa Claus! I found them in my Santa Sock.
biggrin.gif

Thank you for showing us these great tubes! I am looking on eBay right now but I am not quite sure if I have got the right one. Palchiu could you please PM me where your got these two sets of tubes?

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #169 of 1,147
Well, welcome me to the club. Got my PanAm today with Russians and Siemens tubes, starting out with Russian tubes , I'll put the Siemens in tomorrow. I guess I'm going to get LCD-2, but nobody told me how good this sounds with HD650's! I have even put K702 in, because the 650 sounds so good! Using Mac Mini w/ Audirvana + mosts test with 24/96 Apple Lossless files, I must say I'm surprised with the DAC, made the right choice over the EF-5. Definite a border-line hi-end headphone amp.

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #170 of 1,147
Quote:
Well, welcome me to the club. Got my PanAm today with Russians and Siemens tubes, starting out with Russian tubes , I'll put the Siemens in tomorrow. I guess I'm going to get LCD-2, but nobody told me how good this sounds with HD650's! I have even put K702 in, because the 650 sounds so good! Using Mac Mini w/ Audirvana + mosts test with 24/96 Apple Lossless files, I must say I'm surprised with the DAC, made the right choice over the EF-5. Definite a border-line hi-end headphone amp.

Would love more impressions with the HD650 as you! I haven't heard of anyone really commenting on the combo yet...

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #171 of 1,147
Would love more impressions with the HD650 as you! I haven't heard of anyone really commenting on the combo yet...

My HD-650's sound excellent on the Pan Am with both stock Russian tubes and Mullards. The Beyer DT880's (600 ohm) are perhaps my favorite cans with the Pan Am and Mullards. The soundstage and response at all frequencies is just superb.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #172 of 1,147
Quote:

With the Rrussians tubes very smooth and velvety, vocals are the best, listening to 24 bit/96kHz HD Tracks of  Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters", the first rack "Court and Spark", Norah Jones closed-mike is best I have from her. On the 24bit/96kHz SACD rip of MoFi's Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" on the track "You and the Night and the Music" the bass is just amazing.  Elton John's "Madman Across the Water" (also 24/96 HD Tracks), the title track show the abilities of the dynamic range of this amp. While the orchestra explodes from the background surrounds Elton and the piano you still the acoustic guitar in the left channel quietened underscores the song. With the Siemens tubes, more detail, not as much bass, gorgeous midrange. On 24bit/192k HD Tracks of Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway debut, the track "Where Is the Love?" the interplay of the two singers voices are defined by the Siemens.   Note: this only 96 hours in burn-in, right now I prefer the Voshkod's, after burn-in this might change. My Mullards are on the way. This DAC/amp have taken the Sennheiser's to the place only achieved before by the Musical Fidelity X-Can v8/V-DAC in my setup, possibly passing that setup.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #173 of 1,147
Quote:

With the Rrussians tubes very smooth and velvety, vocals are the best, listening to 24 bit/96kHz HD Tracks of  Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters", the first rack "Court and Spark", Norah Jones closed-mike is best I have from her. On the 24bit/96kHz SACD rip of MoFi's Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" on the track "You and the Night and the Music" the bass is just amazing.  Elton John's "Madman Across the Water" (also 24/96 HD Tracks), the title track show the abilities of the dynamic range of this amp. While the orchestra explodes from the background surrounds Elton and the piano you still the acoustic guitar in the left channel quietened underscores the song. With the Siemens tubes, more detail, not as much bass, gorgeous midrange. On 24bit/192k HD Tracks of Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway debut, the track "Where Is the Love?" the interplay of the two singers voices are defined by the Siemens.   Note: this only 96 hours in burn-in, right now I prefer the Voshkod's, after burn-in this might change. My Mullards are on the way. This DAC/amp have taken the Sennheiser's to the place only achieved before by the Musical Fidelity X-Can v8/V-DAC in my setup, possibly passing that setup.

Those impressions are thrilling...I can hear your enthusiasm. You haven't by any chance heard the Bottlehead Crack? I'm not a DIYer so the ALO Pan Am is sooo tempting...

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #174 of 1,147
Quote:

Thank you for showing us these great tubes! I am looking on eBay right now but I am not quite sure if I have got the right one. Palchiu could you please PM me where your got these two sets of tubes?

Wow, just received these Cifte tubes last night and they sound really nice. Warm, lush - similar to the Mullards, and that with no break-in time.  Listening with Beyer DT880's. Here's the link for anyone interested in the Cifte's

http://tubes.tw/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1068

I had purchased 4 of these and I liked them so much I just ordered 8 more!  Looks like they have plenty of them (listed 100). They are pretty low-priced too.

I can't believe how good the Pan Am sounds with virtually all of the tubes I try in it, and how inexpensive they are - Russians, Siemens, Mullards and now Cifte's.  Compared to the 6DJ8 and Octal tubes for my bigger amps, all of these are ultra-inexpensive.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #175 of 1,147
I've had my Pan Am for about 2 months now. I simply just love it. This is my first experience with a tubes coming from a Headroom Micro stack. It's pretty eye opening (ear opening? lol).

I have a DT880 and an HD600 and was looking at the Bottlehead Crack. But with nary a DIY bone in my body I didn't want to get something I could majorly screw up building. Having very little desk space was also something I had to consider. Ultimately it was Shigzeo's great review that made me decide on the Pan Am. I wanted a Bender to call my own.

What really jumped out to me on first listen was the bass (I put in the Russians first and didn't even bother with the stock tubes). On both my headphones with my previous setup, bass was present, it was well done and I couldn't complain having not heard it presented any other way (I wish I could go to meets). But with the Pan Am, the detail, the quality was something I had yet to experience and I found myself saying, 'wow, I have been missing out.' I was enjoying the bass so much that it was quite a while before I could appreciate all the other things this amp does so well e.g. it really did help taming the highs on the DT880 and just did wonders with the HD600's already lovely mids.

I have since gotten the Mullards to go along with the Russians. I can't say which ones I like better yet. But whenever either is being used I find it hard to switch to the other, so go figure. The Mullards are smoooooooth as silk whereas the Russians are a tad aggressive.

Sorry for the long winded post.

tl;dr I love my Pan Am :D

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #176 of 1,147
Just received my Pan Am and got it running! This is my first setup above the computer headphone jack...and glad to say I'm impressed! I have the Russian tubes but will roll them in after getting familiar with the stock sound.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #177 of 1,147
Just received my Pan Am and got it running! This is my first setup above the computer headphone jack...and glad to say I'm impressed! I have the Russian tubes but will roll them in after getting familiar with the stock sound.

Congratulations on your new Pam Am! I'm sure you will love it. I have "bigger/badder" amps, but the Pan Am is still just amazing. And 6AK5 tubes are very reasonable - most of the ones I've tried sound great.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #178 of 1,147
Quote:
Congratulations on your new Pam Am! I'm sure you will love it. I have "bigger/badder" amps, but the Pan Am is still just amazing. And 6AK5 tubes are very reasonable - most of the ones I've tried sound great.

Thanks.

I feel the Pan Am with 250 ohm Beyers are an excellent match using the stock tubes with about 10 hours of burn in. This is my first headfi setup and feel a little lucky getting it right the first time! Couldn't have been possible without extensive reading throughout these forums.

Thank you headfi....and ALO!

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #179 of 1,147
Thanks.

I feel the Pan Am with 250 ohm Beyers are an excellent match using the stock tubes with about 10 hours of burn in. This is my first headfi setup and feel a little lucky getting it right the first time! Couldn't have been possible without extensive reading throughout these forums.

Good choice - the DT880's are my current favorite cans with the Pam Am.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #180 of 1,147
Quote:
Thanks.

Congrats! The Pan Am is really a great little kit. The T1s and LCD sound great out of the Pan Am as well. 

Try the Siemens tubes and the Russian tubes. Those two may give give you a slightly different, but overall more pleasing sound. They have for me. The stocks had their run, but they're bested by these two. Of all the three pairs Alo offers, the Siemens are my fav .

regards, 

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back