ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Jan 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #1,112 of 1,147
Hi! Would just like to know if pan am is warm or just neutral? Would sound sig upon tube rolling (planning on getting siemen, mullard, and RTC) change? And if someone had tried driving it with HD650s? :) How was the sound quality. Thanks!

Pan Am can be warm or neutral depending on the tube you use. For the HD 650, mullards and voshkod tubes are the way to go. The HD 650 has an excellent pairing with the pan am.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #1,113 of 1,147
  Will ALO have Pan Am successor? 

I think their CDM is the successor.Honestly, I still think that pan am is better for harder to drive headphones than the CDM.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,114 of 1,147
My passport battery is now only lasting 45 minutes :frowning2:. Any ideas on how to replace the battery pack within the passport case?

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #1,115 of 1,147
Hi! Would just like to know if pan am is warm or just neutral? Would sound sig upon tube rolling (planning on getting siemen, mullard, and RTC) change? And if someone had tried driving it with HD650s? :) How was the sound quality. Thanks!

The Pan Am is a very clean and detailed amp for being a tube amp, I have used it as both a DAC/ Amp and as a dedicated amp to another higher quality DAC. Now with particular tubes it does get a warmer signature, but from the the Mullards I had and if I recall correctly it was neutral with slight warmth, a nice midrange, and detailed but musical. I think it is a great all in one unit if you can find one on sale or used it is definitely worth having, As far as HD650s, I am not a 100% how they sound with them but they sounded very good with my HD600, so it should drive it to adequate levels.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #1,116 of 1,147
The Pan Am is a very clean and detailed amp for being a tube amp, I have used it as both a DAC/ Amp and as a dedicated amp to another higher quality DAC. Now with particular tubes it does get a warmer signature, but from the the Mullards I had and if I recall correctly it was neutral with slight warmth, a nice midrange, and detailed but musical. I think it is a great all in one unit if you can find one on sale or used it is definitely worth having, As far as HD650s, I am not a 100% how they sound with them but they sounded very good with my HD600, so it should drive it to adequate levels.

Thanks! Just got mine for only $290.00. Really satisfied with how well it sounds. :blush: I'm using siemens and RTC. The mullards and voskhods are on its way.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #1,117 of 1,147
I just received on these again, lol and paired it with my HD6XX I am looking forward to pairing with a DAC once I have the money for it since a lot of my files are past 96khz. But wanted to ask if anyone knew what the interconnects were called that go from power supply to amp dc 12v to dc male 12v? I need the longest one that comes with the panam and have been trying to find a generic one or one to buy from an owner bad, so any help or ideas/knowledge would be grateful

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #1,118 of 1,147
A few years late to the party but I just picked this stack up and I'm very impressed with it sound. I was looking for a bedroom setup and decided to go for this tube hybrid. Luckily for me a fellow Head-Fier was selling his and I was able to purchase it in excellent condition. To date, I've tried these tubes and I've listed them in order of my preference for best sound:

Cifte EF95 (5654) [Excellent dynamics and bass. Nice treble extension and clarity with detailed mids. My favorite set of tubes for my Z1R's]
Mullard M8100 (CV4010) [Similar to the Cifte's but with more midrange warmth and a little deeper bass. The treble is detailed and pairs the best with my Utopia's]
Shyguang 6J1-Q (Stock Russian tubes)
Mullard CV4010
RCA 12ax7

I have a set of Voskhod 6ZH19-EV's coming to try but so far the Cifte 5654's and Mullard M8100's are my favorites.

IMG_0719.jpg

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #1,119 of 1,147
A few years late to the party but I just picked this stack up and I'm very impressed with it sound. I was looking for a bedroom setup and decided to go for this tube hybrid. Luckily for me a fellow Head-Fier was selling his and I was able to purchase it in excellent condition. To date, I've tried these tubes and I've listed them in order of my preference for best sound:

Cifte EF95 (5654) [Excellent dynamics and bass. Nice treble extension and clarity with detailed mids. My favorite set of tubes for my Z1R's]
Mullard M8100 (CV4010) [Similar to the Cifte's but with more midrange warmth and a little deeper bass. The treble is detailed and pairs the best with my Utopia's]
Shyguang 6J1-Q (Stock Russian tubes)
Mullard CV4010
RCA 12ax7

I have a set of Voskhod 6ZH19-EV's coming to try but so far the Cifte 5654's and Mullard M8100's are my favorites.

The voskhod ate very good in comparison to the Mullards giving a different sound that pairs well in contrast. Very nice low end extension and weight.

Aug 31, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #1,120 of 1,147
The voskhod ate very good in comparison to the Mullards giving a different sound that pairs well in contrast. Very nice low end extension and weight.
Nice, I like having this little tube amp. I can tailor the sound to work with just about any headphone. This thing has a little power as well.

I ordered my Voskhod's from overseas and they should be here sometime in September. I can't wait to get a listen. I'm looking for a lively tube with good bass impact, a smooth and enveloping midrange, with excellent treble detail. Hoping the Voskhod's will fit the bill. The Cifte 5654's I have are definitely sounding good right now.

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,121 of 1,147
I just tried the Pan Am with HE-560 v2 and it did not sound good at all. It was very strange, my HE560 sounds better with the Monoprice DAC/Amp I have. Pan Am should have enough power to handle HE-560. I see a few others had similar experience.

Sep 7, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #1,122 of 1,147
I just tried the Pan Am with HE-560 v2 and it did not sound good at all. It was very strange, my HE560 sounds better with the Monoprice DAC/Amp I have. Pan Am should have enough power to handle HE-560. I see a few others had similar experience.

I disagree. The Pan Am doesn't output the kind of power needed for magneplanars - it didn't drive my LCD2 (never tried it with my LCD3) well enough, sweet but lacking punch and dynamics. And the built-in DAC is only so so to the point that I always use an external DAC.

The LCD2 sensitivity is 101dB vs HE560 sensitivity of 90dB and this makes the HE560 even harder to drive. So if the Pan Am wasn't satisfactory for the LCD2, it would be much worse with the HE560.

When I do use my Pan Am, it's with my Sine or IEMs.

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,123 of 1,147
I disagree. The Pan Am doesn't output the kind of power needed for magneplanars - it didn't drive my LCD2 (never tried it with my LCD3) well enough, sweet but lacking punch and dynamics. And the built-in DAC is only so so to the point that I always use an external DAC.

The LCD2 sensitivity is 101dB vs HE560 sensitivity of 90dB and this makes the HE560 even harder to drive. So if the Pan Am wasn't satisfactory for the LCD2, it would be much worse with the HE560.

When I do use my Pan Am, it's with my Sine or IEMs.

You are right, it did not sound good for me with the LCD 2 I had in the past, but some of my friends liked the combination. The reviews for Pan Am also praise the way it pairs with LCD 2. This lead me to believe it'd have enough power.

Still, it pairs fantastically with the HD600 I have.

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,124 of 1,147
Quick update. I got the Voskhod 6ZH19-EV in and they are quite the performer. With my Utopia's they give them more body and bass weight. The midrange is full, textured and warm. The highs are tone down but remain very detailed with good clarity. But if I'm being honest the clarity with the Utopia's and Hugo 2 is still better. All in all, the Voskhod 6ZH19-EV are very impressive tubes. They even work well with my Z1R's. I don't feel a need to change out the tubes to something different with the Voskhod 6ZH19-EV's in place.

I also pickup the LCD-2 closed backs. I tried a majority of my tubes with them and I didn't like the pairing. The Pan AM has the power to drive them but the LCD-2 closed backs just didn't have any synergy with it. They sound's much better driven with my Hugo 2. I'm not sure what's keeping the Pan AM and LCD 2 closed back's from being an ideal pairing.

Oct 21, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #1,125 of 1,147
Alguém já teve problemas com ruído no som? Eu uso a panela com o LCD-2 e quando faço uma pausa na música ou dou uma parada, percebo que há um ruído de fundo. Na saída para o iem, ao ligar o FLC8s, o ruído é bastante alto e desconfortável. Minha fonte é IFI POWER e não tenho o gateway nem o passaporte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back