ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Jan 5, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #916 of 1,147
  That's disappointing!  I just read the headfonia review, and it's statements on the synergy between the LCD2 and it were really exciting, given the fact that it's less than $500 and a tube amp

It might still be available from various retailers and/or distributors. There might also be some good deals out there as it is a discontinued product. ALO had a run out sale a few months ago with great deals on the amp + gateway + passport.

I don't pay much attention to reviews from sites like headfonia (thinly disguised marketing shill to my jaded eyes), but that takes nothing away from the Pan Am - superb little unit. Worth your time hunt one down, if you can find it.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #917 of 1,147
  It might still be available from various retailers and/or distributors. There might also be some good deals out there as it is a discontinued product. ALO had a run out sale a few months ago with great deals on the amp + gateway + passport.

I don't pay much attention to reviews from sites like headfonia (thinly disguised marketing shill to my jaded eyes), but that takes nothing away from the Pan Am - superb little unit. Worth your time hunt one down, if you can find it.

Is there any particular quality which makes this amp run well with a low-impendance can like the LCD2, given from what I've read, that tube amps don't jive particularly well with low-impendance headphones?

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #918 of 1,147
This little amp is really amazing, sounds great with hd600 hd650 hd800 lcd 2 3 X and many more cans and don't take place on a desk
Tubes are cheap and available on ebay, love it

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #921 of 1,147
Thanks for selling to me your spare socket savers Joe, very hard to find these days' :wink:

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #925 of 1,147

I ended up buying the JAN 5654 tubes with the red labels (the most expensive ones).

And I pulled the trigger on some JRP 6ak5s this morning. They're mil spec NOS.

Coudn't decide - bought 1 set of each of these 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #928 of 1,147
Jan 9, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #929 of 1,147
Concerning raytheon tubes I feel that they offer a very large and deep image but very realistic. Bass impact and deepness is good and it seems to be a bit soft with trebles.

A perfect match with hd800 and he400i.

For the hd600 and the lcdx I prefer the National electronic but Ihave not enough hear them to explain why.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #930 of 1,147
which one you have Oliv ? Color and date of built if you know ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back