ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Aug 3, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #676 of 1,147
I would think they must have had trouble with this product. I dunno, mine works fine, I have no issues with it. Maybe its production cost made it less profitable. They don't really have any new version or anything that would replace it... They made it easier for one who were thinking of buying one or fireflies, now you have to go with fireflies... which is not such a bad choice, but tubes are more expensive...

Not to mention way less options for tubes on the WA7.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #677 of 1,147
Dunno why. They've moved on from some of their other portables and replaced with newer versions, but I don't know if this is the case here.

I would grab one while you can if you want one. It's a great little amp that sounds very nice (especially with Audeze cans).

I already own one, and I like it so much that I've ordered another one, while they're still available, as a backup.

Aug 7, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #678 of 1,147
Alo pan am for life :D

It might become a collector

I don't understand why such a brilliant amp is getting out of the Alo audio line :mad:

And I'm also very happy to have one

Aug 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #679 of 1,147
The Pan Am was the first modular product for Alo. Any company always learn something from the first xyz concept, whether a success or failure.

That the Pan Am is being discontinued does not invalidate customers who bought in. And neither does it mean Alo have not taken something away from the Pan Am that will not have influenced the future product roadmap, whether the immediate plans or more far off in the years down the line.

Maybe the ideas will not live on in some manner. Perhaps Ken just feels differently now and there is no business or technical rationale.

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #680 of 1,147

Can't speak to the XC's, but the Pan Am drives my LCD-3's beautifully. Plenty of power to spare.

In fact, I just got a Chord Hugo, and while the LCD-3's sound really good directly out of it, they sound better when the Hugo is fed through the Pan Am with it's extra power. That combo sounded wonderful.

To give some comparison, I also fed the Hugo through my beloved Rx-Mk3-B+ and this amp, powerful though it is, added nothing - the sound was better directly from the Hugo amp.

can u really say the pan am is better for audeze than hugo, what did pan am add to audeze that the hugo didn't 

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #681 of 1,147
can u really say the pan am is better for audeze than hugo, what did pan am add to audeze that the hugo didn't 

No, I can't claim that it is better. At the time I listened to it, it sounded a little better to me through the Pan Am. Maybe it was the tube coloration with the LCD-3's. I currently use the Hugo as a portable setup feeding my LCD-X's directly and I would be hard pressed to claim that anything I have sounds noticeably better. But then again I haven't spent time testing the Hugo with the GS-X mk2 or the Liquid Glass either, so maybe . . .

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #682 of 1,147
No, I can't claim that it is better. At the time I listened to it, it sounded a little better to me through the Pan Am. Maybe it was the tube coloration with the LCD-3's. I currently use the Hugo as a portable setup feeding my LCD-X's directly and I would be hard pressed to claim that anything I have sounds noticeably better. But then again I haven't spent time testing the Hugo with the GS-X mk2 or the Liquid Glass either, so maybe . . .

so which sounds better with the hugo lcd 3 or lcd2

again is the pan am worth buying if u have the hugo

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #684 of 1,147
I'm going into my third week with this little amp and I am still blown away by it.

I just rolled in the Mullard tubes and I quite like them. They sound smooth, if a little sibilant and details are the best out of what I've heard so far.

The RTC's were okay. Not enough bass impact and lacking in details. Highs are twinkly and they have pretty good sound staging.

The stock tubes have great bass, warmth and good detail and it only had to sacrifice a little of the sound stage.

I've been using one set each week, to burn them in a little and get a taste of what they can offer. I think I'll do the Voshkods next and I still have the Sylvanias and Telefunkens after that.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #685 of 1,147
  I'm going into my third week with this little amp and I am still blown away by it.

I just rolled in the Mullard tubes and I quite like them. They sound smooth, if a little sibilant and details are the best out of what I've heard so far.

The RTC's were okay. Not enough bass impact and lacking in details. Highs are twinkly and they have pretty good sound staging.

The stock tubes have great bass, warmth and good detail and it only had to sacrifice a little of the sound stage.

I've been using one set each week, to burn them in a little and get a taste of what they can offer. I think I'll do the Voshkods next and I still have the Sylvanias and Telefunkens after that.

I am surprised that you say RTC lacks bass impact. I think Mullard tubes are just a little bit bassy and RTC has just enough impact. I agree with the sound staging though :)

Aug 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #686 of 1,147
  I am surprised that you say RTC lacks bass impact. I think Mullard tubes are just a little bit bassy and RTC has just enough impact. I agree with the sound staging though :)

I was just comparing the RTC's to the Telefunkens.  I like them both, but the Telefunken's, to my ears, had a bit more bass impact. I too found the RTC's a little light on bass, but otherwise I thought they were quite good.

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #687 of 1,147

I was just comparing the RTC's to the Telefunkens.  I like them both, but the Telefunken's, to my ears, had a bit more bass impact. I too found the RTC's a little light on bass, but otherwise I thought they were quite good.

I see. I still haven't tried Telefunkens, I would like to but quite rare nowadays and a little expensive too. Can I ask where did you got yours? :)

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #688 of 1,147
For bass impacts the russians tubes are for me the best
The highs are also improved compared to mullards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back