ALO Copper Dock vs. Moon audio Blue Dragon dock connector to mini
Nov 27, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Ali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is which can handle alot of abuse, the cryo or the silver from ALO ? By abuse I mean constant flexing and bending of the wire and maybe a little tugging. Also portability abuse
confused.gif

And besides that, copper is more flexible as silver in general as well, so the wires inside are tougher when it comes to bending and general abuse.

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the Copper Dock compares to the Cyro in terms of abuse. Being both are copper and both have individually shielded and braided wires.

I wanted to look at Ken's page, how they differ in tearms of look, but his page is not accessible at the moment. He reached his bandwith limit
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to look at Ken's page, how they differ in tearms of look, but his page is not accessible at the moment. He reached his bandwith limit
biggrin.gif

Since we don’t like to use a bunch of compression on our images and we have had some good times lately with exposure and reviews it’s been a bit hard on our old hosting plan (doah!), thus our bandwidth limit was reached. I have upgraded our plan to accommodate the increased traffic.

Great thread by the way. The Copper Dock is an exceptional value for the money. I was hanging out recently with a guy who is the editor for a Hi-Fi mag and we were talking about this issue of Hi-Fi gear and money. We came to the conclusion that sometimes (most all the time) it’s better to spend your money on records and CD's than gear. Now saying that I am such a hypocrite as I just picked up a used Singlepower PPX3 (Mikhail = genius), Oh thats I nice amp and OMG I am so happy. I ran and made myself a 10 foot headphone ext cable.

Cheers!

Ken @ ALO

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Nov 28, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #37 of 49
There is talk here of the durability of silver vs. copper. Correctly made and annealed silver will be fine but none of the IC's should be bent all the time. Each time you do this you are changing the structure of the silver or copper at the point of the bending. You are changing the annealing of the metal in the area being flexed and this is not good for the transmission of the musical signal. Of course it depends upon the degree of the bend but on some of the portables it is pretty tight and frankly either silver, copper or gold would be better off kept at the angle that the IC will be most commonly used.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put this post in another amp thread, but seems there is more discussion here about it, so if anyone could answer it would be appreciated:

Jamato,

I have a question. With regards to the iPod 5th gen, does it really really matter what kind of IC metal-material you use when using a "5th gen dock style to mini IC"?

The reason I say that is because the actual terminals (of which there are close to 30) on the dock-end of the iPod 5th gen are barely 1/2 millimeter in width, if even that. Does it really make a difference what gauge your IC's thickness is or what material is used to transmit the signal to your amp so long as it's a decent copper or silver IC? (Keep in mind that only the first 3 of those terminals are used for a true line-out IC --- one for left channel, one for right channel, and I think one for ground)

To me, it would make sense that the limit of electon transmission would be at the exit point of the iPod, and if this is so minute, what would be the practical purpose of a higher gauge IC or purer copper or silver IC when used with an iPod 5th gen?

Thanks in advance for the info.

P.S. Your name doesn't have to be Jamato to answer it.
wink.gif

I would like to know why no one has answered this question.

Nov 28, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to know why no one has answered this question.

I answered the best I could in the thread it was originally posted in. Corrupt the signal as little as possible. Why put in an IC that is not optimal and that can actually degrade the signal. Lamp wire used to be used for speaker wire and everyone was happy until they discovered that it really was not the best conductor to use and so the story goes.

Nov 28, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #40 of 49
I have a bling bling silver dock from ALO. Before that I was using Apple's universal dock and the mini-to-mini cable that came with my LDM+

The difference between the two IC's is HUGE. That's all I can say. Maybe because silver is a better conductor, maybe because the audio signal travels trough a lot of components inside the apple's dock, I don't really know.
All I know is that I could hear a BIG improvement with the ALO's silver IC: much more details, more airy highs, a much clearer overall sound and a little punchier bass too.

Just my 2C
icon10.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghiberti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh.... John,

you have a really impressive photo gallery there
eek.gif

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #43 of 49
Just ordered my Copper Dock from ALO. Will look forward to comparing against Turbo Diabolous IV in the coming weeks. Will post anything I notice.

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered my Copper Dock from ALO. Will look forward to comparing against Turbo Diabolous IV in the coming weeks. Will post anything I notice.

can you put the compare hear or provide a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back