ALO Copper Dock vs. Moon audio Blue Dragon dock connector to mini
Nov 27, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #17 of 49
throwing in my two cents again: remember, my amp is SMIV designed for a "tube-like"--meaning "warm"--presentation. So the ALO copper just improves on that signature. BUT, with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon I can be recharging my Ipod while using it. Can't with ALO product.

that may be a factor in your decision since Drew at Moon audio offers an array of silver/copper/combination stranding.

Nov 27, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #18 of 49
I had a chance to compare many mini cables and hardwired dock cables using my friend's headroom desktop portable amp
lately. difference between them is not subtle and even my friend does not have keen hearing could tell that difference.
actually, I was shocked a little to know there could be this big difference among small cables. two cables were outstanding
but I cannot say what they are here
biggrin.gif

interesting thing is we found the difference between them was very nominal when we used a small size portable amp like PINT
and SR-71.

I dunno what makes this difference between two cases. any idea?
confused.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghiberti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a chance to compare many mini cables and hardwired dock cables using my friend's headroom desktop portable amp
lately. difference between them is not subtle and even my friend does not have keen hearing could tell that difference.
actually, I was shocked a little to know there could be this big difference among small cables. two cables were outstanding
but I cannot say what they are here
biggrin.gif

interesting thing is we found the difference between them was very nominal when we used a small size portable amp like PINT
and SR-71.

I dunno what makes this difference between two cases. any idea?
confused.gif

You're friend has a desktop portable amp but doesn't have keen hearing?
blink.gif

How long were the interconnects?

In a portable setup, I have yet to hear any differences due to the cable. Quite awhile ago, I had a RnB Diamond Reference and a Sky Blue Mini V3. Using the headphone out of the 4G iPod, dock connector, a Hornet, a pair of HD650 and a pair of ER4S, I couldn't tell the differences between the two. I literally spent half an hour desperately trying to hear for differences, let alone improvements! Occasionally, I would think that I heard an improvement, but after numerous AB tests, I concluded that either the difference was extremely small or none at all.

I haven't conducted the same test on a larger amp, so I wouldn't know.

That said, I definitely think that cables make a difference when used in greater lengths, eg 6ft speaker cables. My whole point is that at such short lengths (eg <8in), the cable used doesn't really make a discernible difference. That doesn't discourage me from buying short, generally more expensive, boutique cables like Myo's, Ken's, Drew's, etc... It's just that I would put my focus more on the actual source, amp and headphones and spend whatever money is left
tongue.gif
on cables...

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long were the interconnects?

5~6'' and 1 ft

Quote:

I haven't conducted the same test on a larger amp, so I wouldn't know.

I also think that is why you falied. try a larger and better amp. as I said, we found the differnece was very subtle even with SR-71.

Quote:

My whole point is that at such short lengths (eg <8in), the cable used doesn't really make a discernible difference.

try a larger and better amp than you have now.

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

I also think that is why you failed. try a larger and better amp. as I said, we found the differnece was very subtle even with SR-71.

I did say the difference would be subtle to non-existent for his set-up. The OP is using a very small amp -> LDM+. Hence, is it unreasonable to suggest that it's pointless worrying about which LOD to use?

Quote:

try a larger and better amp than you have now.

Will do so in the near future
tongue.gif
I no longer have the Hornet and I don't think the amp I'm using right now is small or too shabby either. It should be a good platform for some cable testing. Stax/electrostatics systems are known to be sensitive to source components, interconnects & power cables, but that's only what I've heard from others. You should know best
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

The OP is using a very small amp -> LDM+. Hence, is it unreasonable to suggest that it's pointless worrying about which LOD to use?

I think it wholly depends on how sensitive he is
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

I no longer have the Hornet and I don't think the amp I'm using right now is small or too shabby either
wink.gif

uhhh... don't get me wrong, man. I didn't say anything is "shabby". I just said "try a better amp", eh?

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

I think it wholly depends on how sensitive he is
rolleyes.gif

True.

Quote:

uhhh... don't get me wrong, man. I didn't say anything is "shabby". I just said "try a better amp", eh?

I reckon I should use my current amp as a test bed first. I've never ever cared much about interconnects so I gotta start somewhere.

It's very difficult to connect short interconnects between components because their main use is to connect portable components together. I'll probably buy a few Signal Cable and Blue Jeans Cable RCA interconnects and see if I can hear the difference
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #24 of 49
i was just wondering for my tastes, which one was better ..... if i have to drop the 65 bucks, i might as well get the one that suits me more.

the silver one in my sig is just a temp soultion.

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #25 of 49
I put this post in another amp thread, but seems there is more discussion here about it, so if anyone could answer it would be appreciated:

Jamato,

I have a question. With regards to the iPod 5th gen, does it really really matter what kind of IC metal-material you use when using a "5th gen dock style to mini IC"?

The reason I say that is because the actual terminals (of which there are close to 30) on the dock-end of the iPod 5th gen are barely 1/2 millimeter in width, if even that. Does it really make a difference what gauge your IC's thickness is or what material is used to transmit the signal to your amp so long as it's a decent copper or silver IC? (Keep in mind that only the first 3 of those terminals are used for a true line-out IC --- one for left channel, one for right channel, and I think one for ground)

To me, it would make sense that the limit of electon transmission would be at the exit point of the iPod, and if this is so minute, what would be the practical purpose of a higher gauge IC or purer copper or silver IC when used with an iPod 5th gen?

Thanks in advance for the info.

P.S. Your name doesn't have to be Jamato to answer it.
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #26 of 49
just like on the ALO site, dont let your IC be your weakest link ....

i know he makes money off of that, so i am just putting it out there.

any scientific backing?

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brother Ali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is which can handle alot of abuse, the cryo or the silver from ALO ? By abuse I mean constant flexing and bending of the wire and maybe a little tugging. Also portability abuse
confused.gif

Cyro, it's flexible
The bling (silver) stays in the U curve and will break if u bend it in and out constantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back