ALO Copper Dock vs. Moon audio Blue Dragon dock connector to mini
Nov 26, 2006 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Tbeze

Head-Fier
looking for an interconnect from DT 770's t0 a LDM+ amp

listen to rock/rap/reggae no classical or country.

or tell me whats a better connection for less then 65 shipped?

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbeze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking for an interconnect from DT 770's t0 a LDM+ amp

listen to rock/rap/reggae no classical or country.

or tell me whats a better connection for less then 65 shipped?

In your sig it says you already have an ALO Silver. If you still have it, i think there is no need to upgrade at all.

You know, there are people (must be a minority on headfi
blink.gif
) who think that cable don't sound different at all.... [size=xx-small]me too[/size]

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 49
Well, while i don't think cables make too much difference, i do think silver vs copper have a different sound.. Silver is more analytical, copper is more on the warm side

So if you're happy with the sound sig, there's really no reason to change

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 49
I have the ALO Copper Dock and can attest that its a great dock connector. Really opens up the sound...unclogged is the best way to describe it. Haven't used other dock connectors minus the iPod dock, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. I think for the money, you really can't go wrong with that dock. Ken makes really great products and he's good about answering all your questions.

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 49
agree with JLai I've got both ALO's Cryo--a copper based dock--and Moon audio Silver Dragon running thru a Supermacro IV with solidtube op amp.. Yes, there are definite differences in tonal qualities between copper and silver--not better or worse, but different in sound signatures.

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 49
My silver is a temp. soultion (borrowing from a friend)

for my musical tastes, i think copper is better ???

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do TURBODocks stack up too? They are very nicely price, $50, so I am interested in em.

Turbo makes good stuff too (I have one of his interconnects). But for only a $15 difference, I'd go with ALO Copper Dock without a doubt. The craftmanship increase is well worth the difference. Or just get the Bling Bling Dock for $49.50

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbeze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So ... ALO over Blue dragon ....?

I have no experience with the Blue Dragon, but I'm sure it sounds fine since Moon Audio is a well respected company. However, I will pose this question upon you:

Say you needed braces...would you rather go to an orthodontist who specializes in braces or would you rather go to a dentist who happens to also do braces.
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 49
I've read the Blue Dragon ones don't lock on the iPod. Dunno if the design has been revised though.

I too am interested in upgrading from my Turbo Diabolous IV to the ALO Copper Dock. I hoping to tame a bit of the highs of the DT-990s. From what I've read here, copper might get the job done.

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, while i don't think cables make too much difference, i do think silver vs copper have a different sound.. Silver is more analytical, copper is more on the warm side

x2

To be absolutely honest, I don't think you should be too fussed with all this silver vs copper vs silver tinned copper vs 7N OFC copper vs silver dragon vs black dragon vs blinb bling vs jumbo whatever other fancy name you can come up with...

The difference is really quite subtle and it won't change the sound signature of the headphones at all. The length of cable is really so short that it doesn't matter a lot. Just buy one that you can comfortably afford, well designed and looks good. Most of the 'difference/changes' that people report are probably due to placebo anyway
rolleyes.gif
I've clearly not seen 'the light' with all this hype about how one LOD can be so much better than another.

*dons flame suit*
tongue.gif
*creeps out of the thread*

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 49
i own both silver and copper alo interconnects. while there may be a sound differnce it is very subtle. the real issue is durability, and the copper is much more durable. if you are using the rig for portable application copper is the choice.

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the 'difference/changes' that people report are probably due to placebo anyway
rolleyes.gif
I've clearly not seen 'the light' with all this hype about how one LOD can be so much better than another.

Amen, brother
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back