ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #151 of 1,380
  SO ALO was given the PFO brutus award for 2013 for the ALO studio six amp .

YUP!!
After I reviewed it there I couldn't stop talking about it to David Robinson!
When he got a pair of LCD-3's I knew he had HAD to hear it!

SO psyched for them!

I meant to email Ken to congratulate them...
Will do SOON!
Got a new Mullard from him and PUMPED to give it a shot!!

They deserve it.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #155 of 1,380
  GZ 34 Mullard metal base.

Please let us know how it sounds, I'm eyeing on one of these and debating if I should pull the trigger :) 

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #157 of 1,380
The original 5AR4 was a Sovtek and I'm not sure if there is much, if any difference, but then I had the Bendix 6V6s in there, which I'm not impressed with, even after leaving the amp on for a few days with them in there. Maybe they'd be a better match with the more aggressive Raytheon OB2s. I've gone back to GE/JAN-Phillips/Mullard/Mullard for now. I might try going back to the original GE/JAN-Phillips/Raytheon/Sovtek set-up then switching to the Mullard metal base, as I think I'd notice the differences more.

I also dropped in an EH Gold Pin 6SN7 to see how that sounded. I bought a pair early on for another amp. Wider soundstage, but flatter, and not as overall balanced-sounding as the GE. I may not have let it warm up enough.  I read up on comments and reviews of the Create Audio 6SN7 too. I'm wondering if that mightn't be a good tube to try.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #158 of 1,380
All the modern 6SN7's sound tizzy and flat compared to the originals. Try any of the WW2 era VT-231's for comparison. Another 6SN7 type you might like, particularly if you find your present line up overly aggressive, is the red based RCA 5692. Your present G.E. at least in my opinion, is one of the least impressive of the original 6SN7.

The Bendix 5992 is a superb 6V6, in many ways perhaps the best of its type ever made. I can however see why some would find it "overly aggressive".  The RCA gray glass is the "gold standard" of 6V6's, although ,like the 6SN7 types, any of the U.S. WW2 era production are superb,  Just ask any guitarist that's ever played on a Fender Champ.  My personal favorite 6v6 is the French Visseaux, which is similar in quality to the RCA but with a touch of Mullard like warmth.

Vacuum rectifier differences will be subtle. The better the power supply design the smaller the influence the rectifier will have on the sound of the amp.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but unless it's defective, I can't see how changing  a gas regulator tube effects the sonics at all.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #159 of 1,380
tnx for the information on tubes Frank .  so far i have for 6sn7( tungsol 6sn7vintage and sylvania vt231 )  6v6 ( pope and visseux) , 5ar4 ( phillips ) ,OB2 ( mullard )   but ill burn in the tubes that come with the ALo Studio six and then will start rolling after maybe 30-40 hours so i can see the sound difference from the stock tubes to the tubes being rollled.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #160 of 1,380
  tnx for the information on tubes Frank .  so far i have for 6sn7( tungsol 6sn7vintage and sylvania vt231 )  6v6 ( pope and visseux) , 5ar4 ( phillips ) ,OB2 ( mullard )   but ill burn in the tubes that come with the ALo Studio six and then will start rolling after maybe 30-40 hours so i can see the sound difference from the stock tubes to the tubes being rollled.

Hey screwdriver, where did you find Visseux 6v6 tubes? 

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #163 of 1,380
I received the studio six today . build quality is top notch . im letting it run on stock tubes to burn in . the only amp i have  right now is the singlepower mpx3 which is excellent with the senn hd650 .
curious about how it sounded and listened right away upon first  plug in - sounded thin . after about a ful cd playing - i played the same cd ( anne bisson ) again -   what the heck its like on steriods . the sound is much more alive , wide , detailed ,  musical - and the the bass , oh the bass.   and i thought the mpx3 was excellent on the hd650.

lcd-3 will be here monday i believe .

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #164 of 1,380
  I received the studio six today . build quality is top notch . im letting it run on stock tubes to burn in . the only amp i have  right now is the singlepower mpx3 which is excellent with the senn hd650 .
curious about how it sounded and listened right away upon first  plug in - sounded thin . after about a ful cd playing - i played the same cd ( anne bisson ) again -   what the heck its like on steriods . the sound is much more alive , wide , detailed ,  musical - and the the bass , oh the bass.   and i thought the mpx3 was excellent on the hd650.

Screwdriver,

Looks forward to the LCD3 / ST6 impressions. 

Sorry we did not do a good job of mentioning this...- its very important to let the ST6 warm up for at minimum 3-5 min before listening, and a little longer before critical listening. Listening to it just after light up is no where near full stride.

Hope you enjoy!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jan 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #165 of 1,380

Haha congrats!! I'm curious, which colour of the amp did you go for? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back