ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #181 of 1,380
Bought the studio six today. One of those rare moments upon first listen when it was obvious I was in the presence of greatness. Like when I was sixteen and heard my Maggies driven by a hafler amp and empire turntable with Grado cartridge, or when I first listened to my Magico S5 speakers thru a Constellation Centaur amp. Magic. An immediate realization that the search is over. Greatness realized. Not an incremental step up, but a quantum leap. Whether thru my Audeze cans or my Beyerdynamic T1s - all other amps pale and fade away by comparison. Even the matching A1 amp for the T1s can't compete. And I never ever thought I would write those words. Can't wait to do a side by side comparison with my Pathos Aurium. The Studio Six blew away my Bryston BHA-1 and my Beyer A-1.

Complete grip. Nothing left on the table. Clarity in a totally musical manner. Energy delivered on every note and nuance. Performance of artists versus electronic rendition. And the bass. Oh the bass. So articulate and right. The mids and highs have a perfect foundation.

Congrads! Pretty much the same feeling when I switch on and listened to the ALO the first time. And that's just for start, the SQ gonna improve up to 150 - 200hr mark.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #183 of 1,380
Wow a surprise. I have always placed my hd650s as second class because of the veil. Well tonight i plugged them into studio six. All the body and meat i am familiar with was intact but the mids and highs naturally opened up. Actually beats my beyerdynamic T1 cans listening to hd650 and studio six thru amg v12 turntable with benz lp-s cartidge into arc ref 2se with 6h30 super tubes into studio six via tape outs of arc ref 40 with cardas clear and audience au24 se cabling. No veil. Total potenttial of hd 650s realized. Better than any combo i have heard yet. Surprised the hell out of me. Like my VW R32 where stock audio sucked. Replaced head unit and speakers became best in class. Go figure.

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #184 of 1,380

Hey Mike/Amos,

I've enjoyed reading both of your reviews on the Studio Six. Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to audition many high-end amps in my area. 

I currently own the LCD-XC with the Woo Audio WA7. Considering an end-game amp, but it makes it hard to choose without first auditioning.

Many describe the jump to high-end gear as a subtle change. Being realistic, is the jump from the WA7 to the Studio Six really that drastic? 

Also, I find the LCD-XC to be on the brighter side (compared to other Audeze's). It was generally recommended to pair it with a warmer amp/source. Have you guys found a good tube combo that provides a warmer sound that pairs with the LCD-XC?

Also considering Bakoon HPA-21, Ray Samuals Dark Star, Woo Audio WA22/WA5? I actually had a chance to listen to the WA22 (with only stock tubes). Would you say the Studio Six is in a different league compared to the WA22? Or just different sound signature?

Sorry for soo many questions. I think you two are the only ones that currently have the Studio Six + LCD-XC on hand.

Thanks!

I've found the XC's to be less "thick"-sounding than other Audezes as the mid-bass isn't as strong. There is also a touch of harshness that the X's don't have. Given how the S6 lights up Sennheisers, the S6 can be a bit off-the-wall intense with the XCs, depending on tubes (see my caffeine-related comments previously), but on the other hand, it makes the Audezes sound more spacious. Live music (eg: NPR Tiny Desk Concerts on Youtube) with the HD-800s, which are already more than spacious enough, are just unreal.

It's hard to say how much upgrade the S6 as an amp is over the WA7. I have both plugged into a Power Plant Premier which removes quite a bit of the difference, leading me to seriously wonder about how close the WA7 would get with the better power supply once it comes out.

Since there are probably people out there who will consider the whole amp-and-cable kit from ALO, I did compare the Reference 20 ICs to a pair of Van Den Hul The Mountain. The latter are a touch less imposing on the music, whereas the Reference 20 imposes a slight coloration on the music. The Ref 16 headphone cable sounds a touch warmer in the bass, as does the Reference 20, compared to other cables I have here.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #185 of 1,380

I've found the XC's to be less "thick"-sounding than other Audezes as the mid-bass isn't as strong. There is also a touch of harshness that the X's don't have. Given how the S6 lights up Sennheisers, the S6 can be a bit off-the-wall intense with the XCs, depending on tubes (see my caffeine-related comments previously), but on the other hand, it makes the Audezes sound more spacious. Live music (eg: NPR Tiny Desk Concerts on Youtube) with the HD-800s, which are already more than spacious enough, are just unreal.

It's hard to say how much upgrade the S6 as an amp is over the WA7. I have both plugged into a Power Plant Premier which removes quite a bit of the difference, leading me to seriously wonder about how close the WA7 would get with the better power supply once it comes out.

Since there are probably people out there who will consider the whole amp-and-cable kit from ALO, I did compare the Reference 20 ICs to a pair of Van Den Hul The Mountain. The latter are a touch less imposing on the music, whereas the Reference 20 imposes a slight coloration on the music. The Ref 16 headphone cable sounds a touch warmer in the bass, as does the Reference 20, compared to other cables I have here.

I don't own the WA7 - but I've spent a fair amount of time listening to it at my buddies place - and when I heard it with the new power supply it blew my away. I would own one if I needed it!
But like Amos - I'm not sure how much of an upgrade the SS6 would be - as many factors come into play here (what styles of music you prefer, listening levels, etc.). So what genres do you listen to more than others?

As I always say: We all interpret things differently. I love the mating of the LCD-XC w/ my Studio Six (using either my Double Helix cables or Cardas Clear)  - I find the combo's got wonderful fluidity, extension, and its gets me in that intangible way: I'd venture to say the combo, for me, drips with soul! I often listen to that rig for hours on end, especially with my McIntosh D100 ahead of it as a DAC and Amarra as the source, or my VPI Traveler deck with Unison Research Simply Phono tube stage!

and YES: Choosing an end game amp without an audition is ALWAYS very risky!
Plus: Just when I think I have an End Game reference piece another comes along...
But my SS6 and E.A.R HP4 still stand out to me...

I will offer this however: The Studio Six is an amp that continues to give me many hours of pure joy when listening, and I never tire of trying different tube configurations, 
and I love that about the SS6! I can change the signature quite a bit - and that's something I enjoy - as my mood changes often (like all of us of course) and I can always dial it into my headspace!

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #186 of 1,380
  I don't own the WA7 - but I've spent a fair amount of time listening to it at my buddies place - and when I heard it with the new power supply it blew my away. I would own one if I needed it!
But like Amos - I'm not sure how much of an upgrade the SS6 would be - as many factors come into play here (what styles of music you prefer, listening levels, etc.). So what genres do you listen to more than others?

As I always say: We all interpret things differently. I love the mating of the LCD-XC w/ my Studio Six (using either my Double Helix cables or Cardas Clear)  - I find the combo's got wonderful fluidity, extension, and its gets me in that intangible way: I'd venture to say the combo, for me, drips with soul! I often listen to that rig for hours on end, especially with my McIntosh D100 ahead of it as a DAC and Amarra as the source, or my VPI Traveler deck with Unison Research Simply Phono tube stage!

and YES: Choosing an end game amp without an audition is ALWAYS very risky!
Plus: Just when I think I have an End Game reference piece another comes along...
But my SS6 and E.A.R HP4 still stand out to me...

I will offer this however: The Studio Six is an amp that continues to give me many hours of pure joy when listening, and I never tire of trying different tube configurations, 
and I love that about the SS6! I can change the signature quite a bit - and that's something I enjoy - as my mood changes often (like all of us of course) and I can always dial it into my headspace!

Ken Ball at ALO Audio is a BALLER

Thanks for gracing my precious Studio Six with a Mullard GZ34!!!!
After being out of commish for five weeks due to illness, the thing sat urging to be plugged in.

This is, by far, the greatest sonic change I've heard from a tube-roll in that slot.
Usually, don't know what this means, but I hear the most profound changes in the 6SN7 spot, not the 5AR4 one.

The overall gestalt of the music is more powerful, more palpable, and the soundstage seems extended both to the front 
and rear of the stage. Strings have more sparkle. Voices have more chest and detail. The word "exotic" keeps flashing in 
my brain. As the sounds seem wholly new at times.

That also speaks to the sonic integrity of the amplifier, and the rest of the system of course 

Right now, listening to the SS6 with:

Audio Technica ATH-900X's
Audeze LCD-X
McIntosh D100 as DAC
MacBook Pro/Amarra as source

When you can hear changes this drastic, and I've had amps where its tough to tell the differences - its a music lovers
AND a reviewers dream. You can paint your music however you like. Work the glass...

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #187 of 1,380
my situation with system synergy is a bit more complicated , i run the source to the decware tube preamp  - then to the alo studio six . it is kinda hard to get the right tubes  in the right spots .
after about 3 months - i can say i have found the tubes  to suit the sound i like . the decware is running  mullard gz37 and a tungsram 6922 in the most important positions , the alo is running a TSRP 6sn7 , pope 6v6 , mullard ob2 , and phillips 5r4gys .  the sound has the right amount of detail and still maintains excellent slam in the lower end , it is very airy as well. The audeze lcd-x is running as good as it gets i believe . now i can have some peace of mind and not think about the gear for a while. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #190 of 1,380
I keep thinking I need to find those red-base RCAs. Frank Cooter very kindly gave me a pair of French 6K6s at the SoCal meet which I've put in. They are a bit lighter-sounding than the Bendix, so I rolled the Mullard OB2 back in, and now everything is on a nice even keel, whereas it was a bit too aggressive. I bought a PSVANE 6SN7 experimentally as well. I can't say for certain it is better or worse than the random GE I had in there before. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #191 of 1,380
  I keep thinking I need to find those red-base RCAs. Frank Cooter very kindly gave me a pair of French 6K6s at the SoCal meet which I've put in. They are a bit lighter-sounding than the Bendix, so I rolled the Mullard OB2 back in, and now everything is on a nice even keel, whereas it was a bit too aggressive. I bought a PSVANE 6SN7 experimentally as well. I can't say for certain it is better or worse than the random GE I had in there before. 

I haven't had the greatest luck with the Psvane or Treasures with regards to reliability personally, but I've found them quite good sounding. In the end though, I agree that a good NOS tube not only will likely sound better, but also offer more "bang for the buck" too.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #192 of 1,380
updating :
system is pc/jriver , Oppo bdp 105 -- nad M51 -- decware csp2+ -- alo studio six -- silver widow cable -- lcd-x

approximately id say the alo studio six accounts for 65% of the sound quality of the system , , 20% from the decware csp2+ , and 15% from little tweaks like headphone cable ,power cable ( HT fantasy ac10)  , IC , hifituning supreme fuse  and tubes
the sound now is far from just using the studio six alone - the sound is very powerful ,resolving ,  engaging , detailed , 3D like  in terms of focus and imaging . im having a blast and im content right now .
time to buy more music I guess

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #193 of 1,380
  updating :
system is pc/jriver , Oppo bdp 105 -- nad M51 -- decware csp2+ -- alo studio six -- silver widow cable -- lcd-x

approximately id say the alo studio six accounts for 65% of the sound quality of the system , , 20% from the decware csp2+ , and 15% from little tweaks like headphone cable ,power cable ( HT fantasy ac10)  , IC , hifituning supreme fuse  and tubes
the sound now is far from just using the studio six alone - the sound is very powerful ,resolving ,  engaging , detailed , 3D like  in terms of focus and imaging . im having a blast and im content right now .
time to buy more music I guess

ALO studio 6 is really really good, no doubt. I just sold it and really missed it.
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back