ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #166 of 1,380
  Screwdriver,

Looks forward to the LCD3 / ST6 impressions. 

Sorry we did not do a good job of mentioning this...- its very important to let the ST6 warm up for at minimum 3-5 min before listening, and a little longer before critical listening. Listening to it just after light up is no where near full stride.

Hope you enjoy!

Ken

Ken , 
i was so eager to take a listen -  can u fault me for that :) . im sure it will change a lot more as it burns in for the better - and then later o i can play with the tubes.

madcat - i got the black one ,

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #167 of 1,380
  Screwdriver,

Looks forward to the LCD3 / ST6 impressions. 

Sorry we did not do a good job of mentioning this...- its very important to let the ST6 warm up for at minimum 3-5 min before listening, and a little longer before critical listening. Listening to it just after light up is no where near full stride.

Hope you enjoy!

Ken

Excellent point, as I know from experience with both Fender® and Marshall® musical-instrument amplifiers; the "receiving" tubes take at least 20 seconds to heat up to the initial point of functionality (applicable to 12AT7, 12AX7 and 7025A twin triodes; six specifications of beam power tubes; and 5AR4 and 5Y3 half-wave rectifiers).  Five minutes is enough time for the tubes to temperature-stabilize.

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #168 of 1,380
  All the modern 6SN7's sound tizzy and flat compared to the originals. Try any of the WW2 era VT-231's for comparison. Another 6SN7 type you might like, particularly if you find your present line up overly aggressive, is the red based RCA 5692. Your present G.E. at least in my opinion, is one of the least impressive of the original 6SN7.

The Bendix 5992 is a superb 6V6, in many ways perhaps the best of its type ever made. I can however see why some would find it "overly aggressive".  The RCA gray glass is the "gold standard" of 6V6's, although ,like the 6SN7 types, any of the U.S. WW2 era production are superb,  Just ask any guitarist that's ever played on a Fender Champ.  My personal favorite 6v6 is the French Visseaux, which is similar in quality to the RCA but with a touch of Mullard like warmth.

Vacuum rectifier differences will be subtle. The better the power supply design the smaller the influence the rectifier will have on the sound of the amp.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but unless it's defective, I can't see how changing  a gas regulator tube effects the sonics at all.

I mentioned it to Ken and he said that Thomas had said the same thing about the gas rectifiers, that they shouldn't make any difference.

I'll hunt around for some more 6SN7s I can try, hopefully ones that don't cost a fortune.  Given the Bendix 5992s are reputedly very good, I'm not sure why they haven't been sounding great in the Studio Six. I'll try leaving them in there for a few more days.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #169 of 1,380

I mentioned it to Ken and he said that Thomas had said the same thing about the gas rectifiers, that they shouldn't make any difference.

I'll hunt around for some more 6SN7s I can try, hopefully ones that don't cost a fortune.  Given the Bendix 5992s are reputedly very good, I'm not sure why they haven't been sounding great in the Studio Six. I'll try leaving them in there for a few more days.

Just received the Mullard GZ34 from ALO

Replacing the stock Sovtek 5AR4 and run it for a day I do notice improvement on staging, focus, texture and definition. Although the improvements are subtle, its definitely noticeable to these ears. Excellent value/performance from ALO.

Next up - 6V6s Stock Tungsols vs Bendix 5992s vs Visseauxs (waiting for delivery)

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #170 of 1,380
let us know how it goes with the 6v6.
so far my options for the 6v6 are the stocks JJ , i have the pope fromupscale audio - and im taking my timelooking for deals on RCA and visseaux.
for the 6sn7 - i still have the tungsol roundplates  - looking for more deals on this tube - this is the best ive heard so far among 6sn7

Quote:

Replacing the stock Sovtek 5AR4 and run it for a day I do notice improvement on staging, focus, texture and definition. Although the improvements are subtle, its definitely noticeable to these ears. Excellent value/performance from ALO.

Next up - 6V6s Stock Tungsols vs Bendix 5992s vs Visseauxs (waiting for delivery)

Jan 10, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #171 of 1,380

Nice. I am thinking of trying that one as well.  I switched back to the Raytheon OB2s and the magic is back now, along with the 10-cups-of-coffee-later presentation.

Jan 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #172 of 1,380

I'm psyched to try it!

At CES
But when I get home,
BANG!!

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #173 of 1,380

Nice. I am thinking of trying that one as well.  I switched back to the Raytheon OB2s and the magic is back now, along with the 10-cups-of-coffee-later presentation.

If you do, please let us know how it compares with the metal base. I'm so tempted to get the metal base Mullard but right now I've really quite satisfied with these ones from ALO. 

I'm psyched to try it!

At CES
But when I get home,
BANG!!

I think you'll have a good time with it. For me, the Sovtek felt a bit hazy where as these Mullards offers much better focus and definition.

Just replaced the EH6SN7 with a Ken Rad 231, bass extension and resolution is quite awesome. Overall, a much livelier tube than the EH. Look like I will have a lot more rolling to be done in the next few weeks .....

Jan 16, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #174 of 1,380
Its been 2 weeks of ownership and i have pretty much settled on the tubes - Tungsol 6sn7 , 2x pope 6V6 , 2x mullard OB2 , Phillips 5R4GY
ive been using berendsen cd1  which is the same as a gamut cd1  as a source , and silver poison cable , and Audeze LCD-3 

the sound is amazing now its broken in , the stage , layers and layers  , the detail , the bass - for me its perfect right now .
i have a decware csp3 coming tomorrow and ill try it out if it will  get any better .

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #175 of 1,380
  Its been 2 weeks of ownership and i have pretty much settled on the tubes - Tungsol 6sn7 , 2x pope 6V6 , 2x mullard OB2 , Phillips 5R4GY
ive been using berendsen cd1  which is the same as a gamut cd1  as a source , and silver poison cable , and Audeze LCD-3 

the sound is amazing now its broken in , the stage , layers and layers  , the detail , the bass - for me its perfect right now .
i have a decware csp3 coming tomorrow and ill try it out if it will  get any better .

Sounds like a splendid tube arrangement!
I wanna try out some Mullard OB2's - right now I'm rockin a vintage RCA 6SN7, Tung sol 6v6's, Sylvania OB2's, and the same Philips 5R4GY!
Ken sent me a new Mullard rectifier tube to try - pumped for that!

What differences did the Mullard OB2's bring sonically??

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #176 of 1,380
  Sounds like a splendid tube arrangement!
I wanna try out some Mullard OB2's - right now I'm rockin a vintage RCA 6SN7, Tung sol 6v6's, Sylvania OB2's, and the same Philips 5R4GY!
Ken sent me a new Mullard rectifier tube to try - pumped for that!

What differences did the Mullard OB2's bring sonically??

sonically its not much except i feel the stock tubes made the sound a bit bloated , the mullard ob2 made it more  precise  in the edges and tight - its not much and hardly noticeable i believe , had to listen a lot swapping things out .

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #178 of 1,380
  Well said sir!!
I heard the WA7 (my buddy @warrenpchi sports that little beauty) and it's a very nice amp/DAC.
But when you step up into Studio Six world, well...  IMO:

That's like going from a pair of small, solidly built bookshelf speakers to a Genesis 1 Loudpeaker system (like 150k)!!

I can't WAIT to try the new Mullards that Ken shared about in mine!!

and I love the combo of my LCD-XC and the ST6 - WHOAH
and even though I love the LCD-X's - the LCD-3 is still my favorite headphone accompaniment for the Studio six:

Hey Mike/Amos,

I've enjoyed reading both of your reviews on the Studio Six. Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunity to audition many high-end amps in my area. 

I currently own the LCD-XC with the Woo Audio WA7. Considering an end-game amp, but it makes it hard to choose without first auditioning.

Many describe the jump to high-end gear as a subtle change. Being realistic, is the jump from the WA7 to the Studio Six really that drastic? 

Also, I find the LCD-XC to be on the brighter side (compared to other Audeze's). It was generally recommended to pair it with a warmer amp/source. Have you guys found a good tube combo that provides a warmer sound that pairs with the LCD-XC?

Also considering Bakoon HPA-21, Ray Samuals Dark Star, Woo Audio WA22/WA5? I actually had a chance to listen to the WA22 (with only stock tubes). Would you say the Studio Six is in a different league compared to the WA22? Or just different sound signature?

Sorry for soo many questions. I think you two are the only ones that currently have the Studio Six + LCD-XC on hand.

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #179 of 1,380
Bought the studio six today. One of those rare moments upon first listen when it was obvious I was in the presence of greatness. Like when I was sixteen and heard my Maggies driven by a hafler amp and empire turntable with Grado cartridge, or when I first listened to my Magico S5 speakers thru a Constellation Centaur amp. Magic. An immediate realization that the search is over. Greatness realized. Not an incremental step up, but a quantum leap. Whether thru my Audeze cans or my Beyerdynamic T1s - all other amps pale and fade away by comparison. Even the matching A1 amp for the T1s can't compete. And I never ever thought I would write those words. Can't wait to do a side by side comparison with my Pathos Aurium. The Studio Six blew away my Bryston BHA-1 and my Beyer A-1.

Complete grip. Nothing left on the table. Clarity in a totally musical manner. Energy delivered on every note and nuance. Performance of artists versus electronic rendition. And the bass. Oh the bass. So articulate and right. The mids and highs have a perfect foundation.

Feb 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #180 of 1,380
Bought the studio six today. One of those rare moments upon first listen when it was obvious I was in the presence of greatness. Like when I was sixteen and heard my Maggies driven by a hafler amp and empire turntable with Grado cartridge, or when I first listened to my Magico S5 speakers thru a Constellation Centaur amp. Magic. An immediate realization that the search is over. Greatness realized. Not an incremental step up, but a quantum leap. Whether thru my Audeze cans or my Beyerdynamic T1s - all other amps pale and fade away by comparison. Even the matching A1 amp for the T1s can't compete. And I never ever thought I would write those words. Can't wait to do a side by side comparison with my Pathos Aurium. The Studio Six blew away my Bryston BHA-1 and my Beyer A-1.

Complete grip. Nothing left on the table. Clarity in a totally musical manner. Energy delivered on every note and nuance. Performance of artists versus electronic rendition. And the bass. Oh the bass. So articulate and right. The mids and highs have a perfect foundation.

Ah, another head-fier with the Studio Six and LCD-XC. After you spend some time with them, can you comment on the synergy w/ stock tubes (or any upgrade tubes)?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back