ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #136 of 1,380
The Mullard OB2s arrived. They are less aggressive than the Ratheons -- a kind of get-out-of-the-way-glass-smooth. I have Sylvania 6V6s in too -- they worked will with the Ratheons still in place. I need to try a different rectifier next I reckon. The combo at the moment is overall smoother, but not tubey-smoother, more so less of the "I'M GOING TO MAKE YOU WANT TO LISTEN UNTIL YOUR EARS CATCH FIRE!" feeling.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #137 of 1,380
  The Mullard OB2s arrived. They are less aggressive than the Ratheons -- a kind of get-out-of-the-way-glass-smooth. I have Sylvania 6V6s in too -- they worked will with the Ratheons still in place. I need to try a different rectifier next I reckon. The combo at the moment is overall smoother, but not tubey-smoother, more so less of the "I'M GOING TO MAKE YOU WANT TO LISTEN UNTIL YOUR EARS CATCH FIRE!" feeling.

I've been tryin' to get my hands on Mullard OB2's!! I didn't like the Ratheons - w/ the rest of my current tube arrangement - and it seems we have very similar tastes @Currawong!! I thought the Ratheons gave the overall sound sig an edgy/aggressive sound that didn't lend itself to long-term listening sessions.

I thought I'd dig em because of numerous reports from friends - but hey, that's art right?
we ALL hear and interpret differently.

This vintage Phillips rectifier (a great find from my buddy Dan Meinwald at E.A.R USA) has given my ST6 a smoother, silkier presentation.
I like your get-out-of-the-way-glass-smooth description.  That pretty much nails it.

I'm going to go back to my Sylvania 6V6's with this current configuration and see what happens.

I heard from another Head-Fier recently via PM that he's going to take the plunge and go with the Studio Six!
I congratulated him and look forward to his impressions!!

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #138 of 1,380
which tubes has the most impact on the sound  ? can u rate the tubes in order of significance  affecting the sound ? from the 6sn7 , the 6v6 , the rectifier and the OB2?

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #139 of 1,380
  which tubes has the most impact on the sound  ? can u rate the tubes in order of significance  affecting the sound ? from the 6sn7 , the 6v6 , the rectifier and the OB2?

GREAT question!!

I've found that the 6SN7 has the most immediate impact on the sound. Though synergy between certain tubes could also render the same immediate difference I suppose.

I would honestly have to do some geekin' out in order to find any kind of order of significance that I would be completely comfortable offering up!

The rectifier has also, seemingly at times, rendered a pretty immediate sonic change, as I've messed with a few of those by now (Electro Harmonix, JJ, RCA, Phillips) - but I wanna check again.

I'm gonna try and find some time in my MADDENING schedule (the life of a freelancer - but I won't complain - with a lot of my friends outta work) to try and see if I can apply an order of significance for ya.

@Currawong maybe able to do that now. I prefer tube headphone amps, and do alot of tube-rolling, but I'm still relatively new to this particular party (tube headphone amp). Many of my tube amps run the same tubes throughout (like the E.A.R HP4: it runs on four 6SN7 tubes) and my E.A.R integrated in one of my two-channel systems runs on multiple EL34 tubes!

Sounds like something I'd like to dig into though!!
So thanks for askin

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #140 of 1,380
I'm not great with tubes. This is only my 4th rollable tube amp. (Crap! 4th! Only!)

Sylvania and Mullard seem to mean "smooth". 

The inner 4 tubes can be found cheaply, because 6V6s are guitar amp tubes and OB2s .. I don't know why. 

I found a nice guy on eBay, Arizona Tube Supply. I'd just email him and ask if it'd be possible to get a deal on a few pairs of matched 6V6s and a couple of less expensive 6SN7s and or hit up ALO Audio for a selection, as they have stocked up in their accessories section.

With the outer two tubes anything is possible. Dubstep Girl did a whole write-up for the 5AR4 and other drive tubes here. I caved an ordered a Mullard metal base 5AR4. I'll see how it goes. It'd be interesting to compare it to the re-issue Mullard.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #141 of 1,380
yeah im thinking the 6sn7 and the rectifier might be the first ones to get rolled , then the 6v6 later on .
not sure how much the OB2  changes the flavor of the sound .

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #142 of 1,380
  I'm not great with tubes. This is only my 4th rollable tube amp. (Crap! 4th! Only!)

The inner 4 tubes can be found cheaply, because 6V6s are guitar amp tubes and OB2s .. I don't know why. 

I found a nice guy on eBay, Arizona Tube Supply. I'd just email him and ask if it'd be possible to get a deal on a few pairs of matched 6V6s and a couple of less expensive 6SN7s and or hit up ALO Audio for a selection, as they have stocked up in their accessories section.

With the outer two tubes anything is possible. Dubstep Girl did a whole write-up for the 5AR4 and other drive tubes here. I caved an ordered a Mullard metal base 5AR4. I'll see how it goes. It'd be interesting to compare it to the re-issue Mullard.

I'm also curious whether Mullard metal base GZ34/5AR4 does make huge difference to sound. Let us know when you get around buying one as they cost so much! 

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #143 of 1,380

Yeah I'm getting one of those Mullard 5AR4's from Ken!!

I'll wait to get it to do my comparisons!!
But, as per my previous post - thus far I've heard the greatest sonic differences changing out the 6SN7 and 5AR4 - but I'm eager to give "assigning an order of significance" a try!!

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #144 of 1,380
I paid probably too much for this pair of Bendix 6V6GTs in Tokyo. I had to whip out the GE 6SN7GTB and put in a '50s Sylvania GTA to balance things a bit, as they were a bit aggressive (though that could be they need some hours on them).

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #145 of 1,380
  I paid probably too much for this pair of Bendix 6V6GTs in Tokyo. I had to whip out the GE 6SN7GTB and put in a '50s Sylvania GTA to balance things a bit, as they were a bit aggressive (though that could be they need some hours on them).

yeah try letting them settle in a bit,
if too aggressive after that - you tried!

Me??
I just got the McIntosh D100 DAC/amp/line-stage (up to 24/192) - and, well, ahead of the Studio Six, I'm afraid that my initial impressing is:
That I've been up ALL NIGHT listening to this pairing.
and, HOLY S___!  Using my Audeze LCD-X and XC's...

formal impressions to come:

this morning

last night (early morning - 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #149 of 1,380
  Ah... that DAC looks nice with the amp!

right?and the funny thing is - its also a headphone amp,
which I will try, but...
I think I can safely assume that the ST6 makes for a better headphone amp section!!
LOL
  That DAC sure looks very nice .....

its amazingly quiet, and it's 32-bit!
matches SWEETLY w/ my ST6!!

Man, I can't stop listening - 
via my LCD-X and XC's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back