ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #121 of 1,380
A buddy of mine in the NL reported out to me that these work stellar.

1pc. General electric Ken-Rad 6sn7GT 1945
2pc. Marconi Radiotron 6v6G Coke bottle 1950
2pc. Telefunken OB2 1960
1pc. GZ37 CV378 Philips/Mullard Blackburn 1965

Also we are carrying these new production Mullard GZ34s

Cheers

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #122 of 1,380
mullard gz34 are being reissued now? 
confused_face.gif

made in russia and the base is completely different as well, would be interesting to hear impressions comparing them to a NOS GZ34 especially the fat base or the metal base versions.

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #123 of 1,380
  A buddy of mine in the NL reported out to me that these work stellar.

1pc. General electric Ken-Rad 6sn7GT 1945
2pc. Marconi Radiotron 6v6G Coke bottle 1950
2pc. Telefunken OB2 1960
1pc. GZ37 CV378 Philips/Mullard Blackburn 1965

Also we are carrying these new production Mullard GZ34s

Cheers

Ken

WHOA!!
Ken! I'm buying a couple of those Mullard's for my Studio Six!!
I'll be in touch ASAP!

Whew hooh

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #124 of 1,380
Looks like I'll be auditioning the Studio Six soon thanks to Ken and the nice folks at ALO.
I'm very excited, as I've been wanting to hear this amp for quite a while.

Looking forward to comparing it with the Cavalli Liquid Gold and Apex Teton.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #125 of 1,380
  I live near Bakoon (Japan) so I'll see if I can't borrow one sometime and compare. Given the similarity to the Phoenix (except the current output stage) I can guess the result to a degree. The Bakoon will probably be more linear and I guess ultimately detailed overall (I figured out that much from the 6moons review and my own experiences with Bakoon and other current-gain amps) but the Studio Six has, depending on tubes, a more lively presentation.

Living in Japan and all, I hope you get your hands on the JDM Bakoon, the HDA-5210 mkIII. Nowhere near enough reviews/impressions of that little beauty. There's one member who says he prefers it over his Leben CS300xs. That's pretty high praise.

If my experience with the Internationational Bakoon (HPA-21) is anything to go by, it's actually quite lively with regular dynamic headphones, possibly due to the way it reacts to their impedance curves (in current output). With planar-dynamics, it's a more linear kind of presentation. Very detailed in either case.

I'd wager the Alo Studio Six applies it's signature in a somewhat predictable fashion and will probably work great with most headphones (with a little tube-rolling), but the Bakoon will be far more picky with the headphones it synergizes with. Potential problem with a comparison would be DAC matching. The Alo would probably benefit from a neutral and lean DAC sound, leaving it to apply it's own colour and body, while the Bakoon would need DAC output with a bit of warmth and "richness" to balance out it's un-colouring nature.

Looking forward to your comparo.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #127 of 1,380

Living in Japan and all, I hope you get your hands on the JDM Bakoon, the HDA-5210 mkIII. Nowhere near enough reviews/impressions of that little beauty. There's one member who says he prefers it over his Leben CS300xs. That's pretty high praise.

If my experience with the Internationational Bakoon (HPA-21) is anything to go by, it's actually quite lively with regular dynamic headphones, possibly due to the way it reacts to their impedance curves (in current output). With planar-dynamics, it's a more linear kind of presentation. Very detailed in either case.

I'd wager the Alo Studio Six applies it's signature in a somewhat predictable fashion and will probably work great with most headphones (with a little tube-rolling), but the Bakoon will be far more picky with the headphones it synergizes with. Potential problem with a comparison would be DAC matching. The Alo would probably benefit from a neutral and lean DAC sound, leaving it to apply it's own colour and body, while the Bakoon would need DAC output with a bit of warmth and "richness" to balance out it's un-colouring nature.

Looking forward to your comparo.

I totally agree w/ ya!!
I LOVE my Mytek Stereo-192 DAC ahead of my Studio Six

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #128 of 1,380
My review is up, with video.

Quote:

If my Phoenix is anything to go by, the current-gain amps are more tolerant. The Studio Six has been more ruthless.

For a bit of fun, I plugged the LCD-XCs into my WA7 and had a listen using the inbuilt DAC, then switched to my main rig with the Studio Six.

WA7: This is your brain.
Studio Six: This is your brain after 10 cups of coffee and a bunch of chocolate coated espresso beans.

Muppetface: I'll be looking forward to your impressions.

Well, maybe not quite that much coffee, but I'm sure everyone will get the idea.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #129 of 1,380
ALO has the holiday special right now for the studio six amp - free power cable 3 feet . i wish they just have the free upgrade of the teflon foil.
i might buy one this xmas ............ :) 

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #130 of 1,380

If my Phoenix is anything to go by, the current-gain amps are more tolerant. The Studio Six has been more ruthless.

For a bit of fun, I plugged the LCD-XCs into my WA7 and had a listen using the inbuilt DAC, then switched to my main rig with the Studio Six.

WA7: This is your brain.
Studio Six: This is your brain after 10 cups of coffee and a bunch of chocolate coated espresso beans.

Muppetface: I'll be looking forward to your impressions.

Well, maybe not quite that much coffee, but I'm sure everyone will get the idea.

Well said sir!!
I heard the WA7 (my buddy @warrenpchi sports that little beauty) and it's a very nice amp/DAC.
But when you step up into Studio Six world, well...  IMO:

That's like going from a pair of small, solidly built bookshelf speakers to a Genesis 1 Loudpeaker system (like 150k)!!

I can't WAIT to try the new Mullards that Ken shared about in mine!!

and I love the combo of my LCD-XC and the ST6 - WHOAH
and even though I love the LCD-X's - the LCD-3 is still my favorite headphone accompaniment for the Studio six:

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #131 of 1,380
  I can't WAIT to try the new Mullards that Ken shared about in mine!!

and I love the combo of my LCD-XC and the ST6 - WHOAH
and even though I love the LCD-X's - the LCD-3 is still my favorite headphone accompaniment for the Studio six:

This is one of those times I wish I was in the USA. I will be going to Tokyo for the e-earphone show in Akihabara, so I'll see if I can pick up some interesting tubes while I'm there.

I found what the XCs remind me of, finally: Audio Technicas, such as the AD2000s. They are a bit like full-sized Grados in some respects with the just the right forward mids to bring out vocals and instruments.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #132 of 1,380

This is one of those times I wish I was in the USA. I will be going to Tokyo for the e-earphone show in Akihabara, so I'll see if I can pick up some interesting tubes while I'm there.

I found what the XCs remind me of, finally: Audio Technicas, such as the AD2000s. They are a bit like full-sized Grados in some respects with the just the right forward mids to bring out vocals and instruments.

hmmmm.
I never thought of it that way!!

Did I send you my tube list??
I'm on the road right now - and can't remember every one - but will drop you my list when I get home.
I've done a TON of tube rolling w/ this bad boy!!!

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #133 of 1,380
  hmmmm.
I never thought of it that way!!

Did I send you my tube list??
I'm on the road right now - and can't remember every one - but will drop you my list when I get home.
I've done a TON of tube rolling w/ this bad boy!!!

love to know the tube list too....

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #135 of 1,380
  love to know the tube list too....

SO sorry for the delay in responding!

My current tube set-up for my ST6:

1 vintage RCA 6SN7
2 Tung Sol 6V6's
2 Sylvania OB2's
1 JJ 5AR4

I'm also messing around with a new vintage Phillips 5AR4!
Just got it - so I'll report back on that.

The arrangement above has been my favorite arrangement thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back