ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #106 of 1,380
Quote: 6moons
At the end of the day that's at the very heart of this thing. Done properly like Audio Line Out did, valves can appeal to the emotions in ways which are arguably more direct. It's as though they bypassed the analytical frontal lobes and ingratiated themselves with the older more primitive part of our brain. We could argue until the cow comes home—an actual annual occasion in Switzerland—about the why and wherefore. Let's leave that to the academics. In audio terms the transitorized Bakoon eclipses the already very good Studio Six on pure magnification power to be an ultimate hi-rez device without any pixilation artifacts. It's the hear-everything maxime done to perfection. Yet the listening experience with the valve amp is no mere second. It's fundamentally different. It addresses and satisfies another human receptor mechanism. It's the Timothy Leary credo of turn on, tune in, drop out implemented as an electronic circuit. For a suitably juicy departure sentence, it's the Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus affair. Except that with the Studio Six, it's the men who finally get to be from Venus... 

Da fuq?!
Typical hyperbolically fickle audiophile opinion. Can't decide, so he wants em both.
I'm qurious about that last sentence though. Does the Studio Six turn men into trannies? O_o

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #107 of 1,380
Da fuq?!
Typical hyperbolically fickle audiophile opinion. Can't decide, so he wants em both.
I'm qurious about that last sentence though. Does the Studio Six turn men into trannies? O_o

I found this review particularly irritating to read as well! I don't mind a little bit of abstract descriptions, but this review was made more convoluted than it needed to be. I honestly found the review confusing and was not entirely sure what the writer was trying to say. Fail.

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #108 of 1,380
Agree, just go to a shop and audit all by yourself, no need to listen to so many opinions.
"Too many cooks, spoil the broth.." 

If you know what you want, just go for it..
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #109 of 1,380
You know, I'm about to make the purchase soon, I'm really new to the whole tube amp thing, and I'm making a huge jump from just my LCD-3's and STX card to a dedicated headphone amp like the Studio Six, I don't know what to expect, some people said it's like a whole different thing, others say it is rather neutral.

I would like to know 3 things:

1. The SNR on this thing is rather ridiculous (In a bad way) - 78 dB SNR ?, can anyone comment on it?

2. I understand that with tube amps I'm getting some noise without anything actually playing, is this true?

3. I also own the HD700, with the HD700 being bright and sibilant, will this amp help them at all?

Thanks people :D

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #110 of 1,380
THD is measured with sweeps, not music, and a few harmonics (which are entirely dependant on the tubes used) aren't going to affect the sound very much in actual use. 

An amp, unless it seriously distorts isn't going to help fix a problem with your headphones. If you don't like the sibilance with the HD700s, buy a pair of headphones that don't have that problem. 

Six Moons doesn't make sense to me either.

smile.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #111 of 1,380
I just don't know what to expect from this amp, unfortunately.

I mean, Bakoon vs Studio Six - Bakoon is more detailed and better for the LCD-3's than the Studio Six.

Are there any other comparisons?

What chance is there that someone can make a comparison to Leben CS600 or BHA-1 or some other big name (other than Bakoon...) ?

This is a dead topic no one is talking in it.

Nov 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #113 of 1,380

Noise with the Studio Six? My amp is dead quiet like a SS amp.
The sound? Depend on tubes. I have had Woo Wa6se, Cavalli LG, and RSA the DarkStar. I can say that they can't compare with the Six. :)

Nov 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #114 of 1,380
They can't compare in a good way or in a bad way? These are actually pretty close to the price range

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #115 of 1,380

Noise with the Studio Six? My amp is dead quiet like a SS amp.
The sound? Depend on tubes. I have had Woo Wa6se, Cavalli LG, and RSA the DarkStar. I can say that they can't compare with the Six. :)

The overall sound signature totally depends on the tubes! But I bought the Studio Six after my review because it's one of the only tube headphone amps that comes close to my E.A.R HP4!
I've also lived with the DarkStar, Allnic HPA-5000, the new Fosgate, as well as numerous others: The Studio Six and HP4 bring me deeper into the music than the others. The others sounded like terrific Hi-fi.
The Six connects me with the music on a more soulful level. I forget about the gear and bask in the sound.  That's what I look for!

I would like to compare it to a Bakoon as well!

THD is measured with sweeps, not music, and a few harmonics (which are entirely dependant on the tubes used) aren't going to affect the sound very much in actual use. 

An amp, unless it seriously distorts isn't going to help fix a problem with your headphones. If you don't like the sibilance with the HD700s, buy a pair of headphones that don't have that problem. 

Six Moons doesn't make sense to me either.

smile.gif

I'm in total agreement w/ @Currawong 

If your headphones are giving you sibilance that's not to your liking I'd change cans first.
I LOVE my Studio Six w/ my Audeze LCD-3's, LCD-X, and LCD-XC!!

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #116 of 1,380
  The review says that in terms of detail, the Bakoon would be better

Anyway, I'm making an order like very soon now (Nagging our Audeze guy to bring it, cause he did order the PanAm and some cables)
Will make the purchase some time Jan/Feb tops

Does the Capacitor upgrade really make a difference, btw?

Capacitor Upgrade?!?!?!

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #117 of 1,380
There are two capacitor options. Best to ask Ken about that, not to mention what the capacitors do, which I forgot to. 

I ended up buying the Japan loaner unit and I've order a couple of sets of relatively inexpensive 6V6s and OB2s. 

I live near Bakoon (Japan) so I'll see if I can't borrow one sometime and compare. Given the similarity to the Phoenix (except the current output stage) I can guess the result to a degree. The Bakoon will probably be more linear and I guess ultimately detailed overall (I figured out that much from the 6moons review and my own experiences with Bakoon and other current-gain amps) but the Studio Six has, depending on tubes, a more lively presentation.

Dec 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #118 of 1,380
  There are two capacitor options. Best to ask Ken about that, not to mention what the capacitors do, which I forgot to. 

I ended up buying the Japan loaner unit and I've order a couple of sets of relatively inexpensive 6V6s and OB2s. 

I live near Bakoon (Japan) so I'll see if I can't borrow one sometime and compare. Given the similarity to the Phoenix (except the current output stage) I can guess the result to a degree. The Bakoon will probably be more linear and I guess ultimately detailed overall (I figured out that much from the 6moons review and my own experiences with Bakoon and other current-gain amps) but the Studio Six has, depending on tubes, a more lively presentation.

AWESOME!
I'll hit up Ken ASAP!

Nice one - appreciated!
Yeah I've experienced the Bakoon - but not long enough to form a solid impression vs the Studio Six

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #120 of 1,380
  I just don't know what to expect from this amp, unfortunately.

I mean, Bakoon vs Studio Six - Bakoon is more detailed and better for the LCD-3's than the Studio Six.

Are there any other comparisons?

What chance is there that someone can make a comparison to Leben CS600 or BHA-1 or some other big name (other than Bakoon...) ?

This is a dead topic no one is talking in it.

~~ Bakoon HPA-21 amp how compares to OTL  eddie current zana deux ? 
or to fostex hp a8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back