ALO Audio Continental V3 Impressions and Appreciation Thread
Jan 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #21 of 145
I was thinking of getting a WOO6, but if the CONTINENTAL v3 is just as good as a desktop (not saying it has exact sound signature), then I might as well get something that is smaller and easy to bring on trips/coffee-shops, etc. 

am I off-base in thinking this?

Some may say otherwise, but I'm sure you will enjoy the V3 just as much as the WA6 (That is, if the V2 is anything like its predecessor)

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #23 of 145
Wanting a transportable tube amp. It seems they fixed the issue that it wasn't good for low impedance IEMs? That is what I want it for. 

I want warm and tubey. Reports of hot treble have me worried... any thoughts regarding that?

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #24 of 145
Wanting a transportable tube amp. It seems they fixed the issue that it wasn't good for low impedance IEMs? That is what I want it for. 

I want warm and tubey. Reports of hot treble have me worried... any thoughts regarding that?

Thanks!

I actually find it brighter than I originally thought. Having spent more time with it I don't get the 'tube' sound I get from my big system. I am driving it with my DX100 and it sounds pretty good. Having said that, I bought it for use with IEMs and I am finding it has too much hiss for my liking. It really is pretty loud during slow movements. My other tube amps are pitch black which is something I love. I am going to be ordering a WA6 to compare and after having been in contact with them they assure me it is extremely quiet with UE18s. Obviously this will not be portable, but I got the V3 as a bedside rig anyway...

Anyone else using this with IEMs and finding hiss?

C

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #25 of 145
Excellent to know. The FI-BA-SS is a sensitive hiss monster as it is. Looks like the V3 is not for me. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #26 of 145
Excellent to know. The FI-BA-SS is a sensitive hiss monster as it is. Looks like the V3 is not for me. 

Don't get me wrong, the V3 does have a great sound. It's just the hiss getting me down on it a bit. Obviously it gets buried in faster paced music. Things like Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Dire Straits really make it stand out. I am also hesitant about judging it right now as it has so few hours of play on it. Time will tell if its a keeper or not...

C

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #28 of 145
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the V3 does have a great sound. It's just the hiss getting me down on it a bit. Obviously it gets buried in faster paced music. Things like Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Dire Straits really make it stand out. I am also hesitant about judging it right now as it has so few hours of play on it. Time will tell if its a keeper or not...

C

Oh I am sure it does sound great. It's just I will be using with super-sensitive IEMs. Not to mention electronic music. It seems what the V3 is great at doesn't mesh well with my needs. Which is unfortunate, but it's ok. Looking at this right now. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #30 of 145
Quote:

Oh I am sure it does sound great. It's just I will be using with super-sensitive IEMs. Not to mention electronic music. It seems what the V3 is great at doesn't mesh well with my needs. Which is unfortunate, but it's ok. Looking at this right now. 

Please let us know if you get anymore information on what you're looking at.  Quite intriguing.

The V2 has served me well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back