All things Metrum Acoustics
Dec 28, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #736 of 1,451
No need to splurge for the Matrix to get an idea how a clean DAC should sound. SMSL SU-9, Sabaj D5, Topping Dx7 Pro are built around the same ESS chip and will sound about the same at a fraction of the cost. In fact even the Topping D10S will be enough if all you need is a USB input.
I appreciate your response
1609172784196.gif

Without going down the path of “one of those” conversations i can’t say i subscribe to the thought that all dacs with the same chip sound the same

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #737 of 1,451
While this can be true in principle all the DACs I mentioned have very similar and excellent technical performance and any differences there can be would be well below audible, and all they will sound very different from the Hex which sounds like is what you're after.

Heck, if you have the resources get the Element and a Topping D10s and try to tell one from another.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #738 of 1,451
Heck, if you have the resources get the Element and a Topping D10s and try to tell one from another.

if i can I definitely will (demo them, that is)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #739 of 1,451
Dec 28, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #740 of 1,451

There are different opinions out there about DACs and their "sound signatures" but pretty much none of them is backed up by a controlled experiment. Regardless, whatever differences there might be between those DACs, audible or not, they will be magnitudes lower than the difference between them and the Hex. I own a Topping D10s, Sabaj D5, Okto DAC8 and can't tell with a straight face I can hear any difference between them. I also have a Topping DX3 Pro which I think sounds a bit different, but I fail to pick it apart from others in a blind test. That is my experience, yours doesn't have to be the same.

Jan 2, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #742 of 1,451
How long does it take for the Pavane to sound completely right when it was disconnected from power?
When I first got mine Onyx I think it took around 2 days for the sound to become relaxed. I had to unplug the power for 15 minutes a few weeks ago when I moved my equipments to a new rack. After re-powering the Onyx I actually didn't find the sound to change at all.

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #745 of 1,451
I wonder why the Sonnet Hermes is almost $200 cheaper than the Ambre. Any explanation for this discrepancy? I could have sworn hearing Cees argue that the Hermes was slightly superior, at least in certain parts... So what gives?

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #746 of 1,451
I wonder why the Sonnet Hermes is almost $200 cheaper than the Ambre. Any explanation for this discrepancy? I could have sworn hearing Cees argue that the Hermes was slightly superior, at least in certain parts... So what gives?
Since Sonnet is new player in the world of Hi fi and hence they might have kept the markup slightly lower as compared to Metrum which was an established name when they launched Ambre. But with everything going on with Metrum I would get Hermès from Sonnet.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #747 of 1,451
Since Sonnet is new player in the world of Hi fi and hence they might have kept the markup slightly lower as compared to Metrum which was an established name when they launched Ambre. But with everything going on with Metrum I would get Hermès from Sonnet.

Yeah, this seems to check out. I currently have the ambre which I purchased a couple of years ago. If I need another roon bridge, however, I'd go for the Hermes myself.

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #748 of 1,451
Yeah, this seems to check out. I currently have the ambre which I purchased a couple of years ago. If I need another roon bridge, however, I'd go for the Hermes myself.
Unless you need long LAN cable for I2S, I would suggest to try out Pi2AES. It will cost you some $250 and the I2S out works with Sonnet and Metrum

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #749 of 1,451
Unless you need long LAN cable for I2S, I would suggest to try out Pi2AES. It will cost you some $250 and the I2S out works with Sonnet and Metrum

Yes, I have heard and read briefly about the Pi2AES and the price sounds attractive, but I do not know it that well. If it can do all the things the Ambre can do and do them as well, then of course I'll give it a shot. I have my Ambre modded in two, actually, three different ways that have enhanced the sound considerably. It is also serving two rigs currently in my house through the i2S and the AES outputs, and I am thinking of sending out the coaxial output too to another rig, which will leave the optical output still unused, but available for a 4th rig if needed. It is this kind of versatility which appeals to me about the Ambre, and by extension, the Hermes as well. If the Pi2AES can perform all these functions as reliably as the Ambre/Hermes, then I'll be all over it next time I want a roon-bridge.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #750 of 1,451
Yes, I have heard and read briefly about the Pi2AES and the price sounds attractive, but I do not know it that well. If it can do all the things the Ambre can do and do them as well, then of course I'll give it a shot. I have my Ambre modded in two, actually, three different ways that have enhanced the sound considerably. It is also serving two rigs currently in my house through the i2S and the AES outputs, and I am thinking of sending out the coaxial output too to another rig, which will leave the optical output still unused, but available for a 4th rig if needed. It is this kind of versatility which appeals to me about the Ambre, and by extension, the Hermes as well. If the Pi2AES can perform all these functions as reliably as the Ambre/Hermes, then I'll be all over it next time I want a roon-bridge.
Yes, Pi2AES has all the above output. In fact I use I2S to connect to my Morpheus and AES out to connect to Onyx with Coax going to Bifrost. So yes, you are good in that regard with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back