All things Metrum Acoustics
Jan 6, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #766 of 1,451
I have installed raspberry pi 4b 8gb with heatsinks in ambre. The software is audiolinux or gentooplayer loaded in RAM. Gentooplayer (GP) is the most versatile linux system I've ever used. I am using GP UPNP on Audirvana. To me Gentooplayer> Audiolinux >>Moode>Volumio/RopieeeXL in terms of SQ & features. All images tested on rpi4b 8gb. Stock ambre has rpi3b/ropieee.

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #767 of 1,451
"upgraded the OS" simply means that I replaced the original sd card and its RoPieee image with another SD card with piCorePlayer, and yes, not only did that enhance the sound of the Ambre, it also extended its range of compatibilities beyond Roon... As for fuses, several options are possible, but because of how controversial their effect seems to some people, you will have to experiment with your own. The ones in the pictured ambre, are the Synergistic Research Blue, but they (SR) have come up with a new Orange type which are allegedly superior to the Blue. I'll just say that those I have used have made my Ambre sound even more noticeably better, and I still keep the old stock fuses on hand, just in case I ever need to confirm the difference, which I have not found to be necessary

To make this brief, and forestall the possibility of starting an "audiophile fuse" for/against debate, which I wouldn't like to participate in, I'll just direct you to this site where I learnt about the history of this mod, through the recommendation of another head-fier. As you can see, the folks there are very passionate with their experimentations with the Ambre. It helps if you speak and read French... Otherwise you might have to use some AI translator.

Happy hunting :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
This SD card mod is to complicate for me but i may try to replace fuses and LAN cable

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #768 of 1,451
This SD card mod is to complicate for me but i may try to replace fuses and LAN cable

I can understand what you're saying about the sd card part. I would call it the least stable part of the mod, in the sense that it often depends on the changing opinions in the modding community as to which player software works best, and that keeps changing, I find. Or at least, it is the part that is most likely to change quickest, among the three areas of the mod (followed by the fuse). As you can tell from the specs of @lithiumnk 's mod, my own choice of the piCorePlayer based option as "the best" has long been superseded. I even got some of the parts to build a version of the raspberry pi 4b 8gb based model that he is describing, but I guess I got too lazy along the way to keep up with those changes, and my kit is still sitting unused somewhere in my study.

Or you might say I became satisfied enough with the sound of the Ambre after a certain point, and my attention and interest for tweaking this particular rig went elsewhere in the chain (I have actually made a set of major changes in this same chain involving a DAC, a headphone, and a couple of headphone amplifiers, so this particular chain has been evolving in other ways ever since I stopped making modding tweaks on the Ambre, and I might go back to the Ambre if/when the mood strikes again)

With all that said, my sense is that the sd-card based mods probably sound more complicated than they actually are or turn out to be, when you get around to installing or applying them. You just need to have the predisposition and the willingness to give them a shot, and also to keep up with the changes that other tweakers in the community are always experimenting with. I agree however that this practice and rate of tweaking may not be for everyone.:relaxed::relaxed:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #769 of 1,451
SD card mod looks complicated but worth it especially when the system is loaded in RAM. I don't have any knowledge of linux. But, learnt some basic stuff in the past one year. Setting up gentooplayer is not that difficult. The support is also very good. This mod has a greater impact on sound.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #771 of 1,451
It is really hard to buy any metrum products now, they released new dacs, and if they will release new ambre.
I think I will cancel the order for now.

what DAC did they release? Curious to hear as their website is only showing the known models and a pre-registering page for the DAC 3 modules we have not heard more about than that they might exist, or am I missing some information?

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #772 of 1,451
It is really hard to buy any metrum products now, they released new dacs, and if they will release new ambre.
I think I will cancel the order for now.

Well, buying is the easy part. The line up will always change and I dont expect any big changes. Now you can order the Dac3 upgrade for Onyx/Jade to get them to the Pavane/Adagio level, maybe any upgrade will be available for the ambre. The Morpheus Hermens has a display. Sounds almost the same as the ambre (according to alpha audio).

I'm happy Metrum is back on track.

Jan 12, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #776 of 1,451
what DAC did they release? Curious to hear as their website is only showing the known models and a pre-registering page for the DAC 3 modules we have not heard more about than that they might exist, or am I missing some information?
yeah, you are correct. They just release new DAC 3 modules but that made me want to pause my order for now until it is fully into production(it will be soon I think). Since from my perspective, I finally will go for DAC 3 and directly order for onyx or adagio with DAC 2 will make me do another upgrade so I choose to wait.
Also like Chris said, the ambre is confronted with some new upgrade as well, so maybe I choose to wait longer.....

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #778 of 1,451

Users who are viewing this thread

Back