All things Metrum Acoustics
Dec 3, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #725 of 1,451
dunno, newer is better? :smile:

Likely a better DAC implementation, higher resolution, more parallel processing...we simply don't know until Cees will release the info....

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #727 of 1,451
His claims were backed by the measurements on ASR, is there any reason to doubt his claims?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #728 of 1,451
Lab measurements for hi-fi are a bit like specifications of a painting. Sure it must have some x and y dimension, but 1 inch of canvas of the Mona Lisa is vastly different from the same inch on any other painting. Ultimately the only measurements we care about come from our eyes.

Sure spaghettis must have some desirable range of salt, but 1 gram of salt of top notch spaghetti is vastly different from the same gram of the spaghetti I made. Ultimately the only measurement we care about come from our taste buds.

Sure pianists must be able to play all 88 keys of the keyboard. But the same 88 keys played by Glenn Gould is vast different from that played by any other musician. Ultimately the only measurements we care about come from our ears.

Cees is a bit like a painter, or chef, or musician. He takes the same resisters and wires available to any designer and makes a product that pleases many people's palettes.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #731 of 1,451
I can show you measurements with 'horrible' figures yet great sound and vice versa...let's not get into yet another 'digital is always the same' or a 'measurements rule sound perception' pls.

did anyone hear more detail about the DAC 3 modules?

Dec 15, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #732 of 1,451
no one? I'll see if I can entice the folks behind Metrum to lift a tip of the veil..my curiosity is peaked...

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #733 of 1,451
question is out.

Does anyone know if the I2S board jumpers need to be tweaked and if so based on what? They are for impendance matching (on the old Jade/Onyx I2S board) and I suspect there is an optimal value based on output impendance from the I2S card in my computer OR the jumpers would not be there...big question is...how to determine what is right?

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #734 of 1,451
A slightly different kind of question.
I happily have my metrum hex dac. I am looking at trying a non NOS dac as something different in my setup (and keeping the hex).
I guess looking for a dac that is less “analogue sounding” and more “analytical” (maybe) to use with my niimbus us4, that already has some warm notes/texture to it.

Has anyone heard any of the matrix audio element units, particularly the element x (purely as a dac)?

Though i expect and hope the character will be somewhat different to the hex I don’t want to diminish the quality of sound (at least not too much)

any experiences that you would like to share would be much appreciated

cheers
peter

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #735 of 1,451
No need to splurge for the Matrix to get an idea how a clean DAC should sound. SMSL SU-9, Sabaj D5, Topping Dx7 Pro are built around the same ESS chip and will sound about the same at a fraction of the cost. In fact even the Topping D10S will be enough if all you need is a USB input.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back