All things Metrum Acoustics
Nov 2, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #693 of 1,451
since a while....

it remains to be seen where both brands will focus as it makes no sense to cannibalize each others market share.

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #694 of 1,451
Yeah pretty impressive! He shrunk the DAC section while still packing same processing power (like how CPUs evolve) which simultaneously solved multiple problems like signal path length, power requirement, less signal pollution within unit... I even like the looks of Morpheus over Pavane. And smaller size takes up less room on desk, fits into more places. Big win!

Where did you get the Morpheus with a trial period?

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #697 of 1,451
too early to tell, I can easily imagine that there can be enough differentiation between the two...crossbreed platforms but one premium brand and a slightly cheaper one. PLenty of brands do it, just look at car manufacturers...

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #699 of 1,451
Metrum went bankrupt, which IMO means they will not have much stock left and any remaining stock will already have been depreciated.

Nov 4, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #700 of 1,451
(With both Morpheus and Pavane I am going USB-in and balanced-out.)
Using the i2s or AES/EBU gives the best performance with the Pavane, USB being the weakest link. I guess its what type of sound you like but I find the Pavane L3 to be superb. Vocals are full and real, piano is magic, music is detailed throughout and has large dynamics and glorious bass. Alpha Audio did a video comparison between Pavane, Morpheus and Wiess using a Pass labs Pre amplifier and found the Wiess had more detail but the Pavane had more weight and punch to the bass.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #701 of 1,451
Do you mean that the L3 is better than L2, AFAIK the main difference is the highest speed, which IMO should not mean a sound difference unless you are using the highest speed...using red book you stay well under that limit so I;d expect the L2 to sound the same as the L3, both have the same Dac2 modules and everything.

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #702 of 1,451
Do you mean that the L3 is better than L2, AFAIK the main difference is the highest speed, which IMO should not mean a sound difference unless you are using the highest speed...using red book you stay well under that limit so I;d expect the L2 to sound the same as the L3, both have the same Dac2 modules and everything.
the L2 will most likely be the same as the L3 sound wise.....I had the L1 and there is a good improvement with the L3

Nov 5, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #703 of 1,451
the L2 will most likely be the same as the L3 sound wise.....I had the L1 and there is a good improvement with the L3
thanks! I've been watching that Alpha audio video but am having a hard time ...they flip from Sonnet direct to pre amp, to Pavane pre amped where I want to hear both direct vis a passive volume regulator....

Nov 6, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #705 of 1,451
Covid allowing I probably will be able to audition both devices as Metrum and Sonnet are based in my country (and I do not live very far from either).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back