All things Metrum Acoustics
Aug 9, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #661 of 1,451
Have you considered the Ambre? For Roon and a Metrum DAC seems like a natural choice, you can get an I2S input card from Metrum to avoid USB and SPDIF. As for AES/SPDIF, afaik there's no reclocking inside the Onyx, just PLL to recover the clock, so the source is supplying the clock.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #662 of 1,451
Have you considered the Ambre? For Roon and a Metrum DAC seems like a natural choice, you can get an I2S input card from Metrum to avoid USB and SPDIF. As for AES/SPDIF, afaik there's no reclocking inside the Onyx, just PLL to recover the clock, so the source is supplying the clock.

No reclocking in the Onyx is disappointing.

Ambre would be a great choice, but I'd have to also get the I2S card for the Onyx, and a WiFi solution. With the limited availability of Ambre right now and Onyx I2S cards, I'm looking at well over $1,000 to stream. Not an easy pill to swallow considering I got the DAC itself for not much more.

Aug 9, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #663 of 1,451
Reclocking is usually accomplished with ASRC which bumps up the sampling rate which would be an odd thing to do in a NOS DAC. You can also use a memory buffer to reclock, aka FIFO, but because of clock differences on its ends you sooner or later end up with a buffer overrun or underrun situation, so while solutions exist they don't typically find their way into end user products. Not that many DACs actually reclock the data, ones that use ESS chips rely on its internal ASRC, most others usually only rely on PLL to suppress incoming jitter, if done right it's all you really need.

Maybe just get a decent USB to SPDIF converter with good clock like the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 and call it a day?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #664 of 1,451
Reclocking is usually accomplished with ASRC which bumps up the sampling rate which would be an odd thing to do in a NOS DAC. You can also use a memory buffer to reclock, aka FIFO, but because of clock differences on its ends you sooner or later end up with a buffer overrun or underrun situation, so while solutions exist they don't typically find their way into end user products. Not that many DACs actually reclock the data, ones that use ESS chips rely on its internal ASRC, most others usually only rely on PLL to suppress incoming jitter, if done right it's all you really need.

Maybe just get a decent USB to SPDIF converter with good clock like the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 and call it a day?

Thanks for the insight, very good points regarding clocking and interaction in an NOS DAC, makes sense and very informative.

Can't really go wrong with the simplicity of the Matrix X converter here, not a bad idea. Another thought was getting a Pi2AES, if that has a sufficient clock. I know they make an I2S hat, as well, which could work if I can track down the I2S card somehow for the Onyx.

Aug 12, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #665 of 1,451
not sure I;m clear on what you are looking for? the Onyx I2S card or a card to allow SPDIF out from the PI?

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #666 of 1,451
not sure I;m clear on what you are looking for? the Onyx I2S card or a card to allow SPDIF out from the PI?

I was looking for the Onyx I2S card as well as a good streaming option to the Onyx, either via AES or I2S (looks like the options are Ambre or Pi2AES).

But my question was more technical in regards to where the clocking takes place for these data transmission mediums. Appears the answer is the source.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #667 of 1,451
talk to Sonnet, they should be able to get you the card, or wait until I tried mine (in case it does not work with the LVDS with the SU1) ....and it turns out you need that version (there are two versions of the I2S card)

There is another option, Pink Faun makes a PCIe card for a computer putting out I2S in whatever format you need, or they have an SPDIF version.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #668 of 1,451
talk to Sonnet, they should be able to get you the card, or wait until I tried mine (in case it does not work with the LVDS with the SU1) ....and it turns out you need that version (there are two versions of the I2S card)

There is another option, Pink Faun makes a PCIe card for a computer putting out I2S in whatever format you need, or they have an SPDIF version.

Thanks for additional insight! I did speak with Sonnet, unfortunately they can't sell me the I2S module since Onyx is not compatible with Sonnet one, however, they did confirm that the Sonnet Hermes is compatible with the Metrum RJ45 input.

The Pink Faun stuff is really quite pricey, but if I was using a PC to stream I'd spring for the I2S card (although with adding a clock, you're getting to $1,000 USD for a PCI-E card). Their stuff looks nice quality. However, I removed my HTPC from the chain and am not looking to add a small form factor dedicated streamer in it's place.

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #669 of 1,451
You did actually talk? Metrum is back, but the two are now the same (no clue if the brands will co exist)
Metrum Acoustics will support all of the thousands of legacy products it ever sold.
In need of service right now? Email us!

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #670 of 1,451
You did actually talk? Metrum is back, but the two are now the same (no clue if the brands will co exist)
Metrum Acoustics will support all of the thousands of legacy products it ever sold.
In need of service right now? Email us!

Yes, spoke with Sonnet and can confirm that they aren't supporting Metrum products, to some degree (at least they aren't able to provide Metrum RJ45 modules), and they directed me to Metrum.

I haven't contacted Metrum yet.

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #671 of 1,451
weird, I may have misunderstood but I thought Cees now retruned to Metrum...perhaps some legalese or you contected him in the interbellum :wink:

Aug 13, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #672 of 1,451
weird, I may have misunderstood but I thought Cees now retruned to Metrum...perhaps some legalese or you contected him in the interbellum :wink:

I contacted them on Monday so pretty recently haha

Cees was also not the individual who responded to me, if that sheds any light.

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #673 of 1,451
Cees and partner Lion reacquired Metrum but are not involved in the day to day business - Wouter Hazenberg is managing M and a new designer taken on board. The 2 Brands run separately but somehow need to run side by side in the future. So M products can be sourced from M. An RJ45 Cable makes S and M compatible for Streaming.

Aug 18, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #674 of 1,451
Cees and partner Lion reacquired Metrum but are not involved in the day to day business - Wouter Hazenberg is managing M and a new designer taken on board. The 2 Brands run separately but somehow need to run side by side in the future. So M products can be sourced from M. An RJ45 Cable makes S and M compatible for Streaming.
Speaking of streamers, would you be able to shed some light on the difference between Metrum Ambre and Sonnet Hermes? From the descriptions they seem to be identical, so a bit curious on this.

Aug 18, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #675 of 1,451
I have Ambre from my friend, now he has Hermes, besides different power supply they are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back