All things Metrum Acoustics
Nov 7, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #707 of 1,451
Well after reading the last 20 pages, I can tell I came to the right place to talk about Metrum and Sonnet.The DACs can wait but I want a new Roon streamer but I already have a full SOtM set up with the sMS-2000 streamer and the txUSBultra. Has anyone compared the amber or the Hermes to the SOtM streamers? If so I would Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #711 of 1,451
Did anyone tinker with RJ45 cables for I2S on the pavane or any other Metrum DAC?

My Amethyst now has I2S, for now through LVDS, next week I will get the Pink Faun HEA bridge using RJ 45 (fed by the Akiko LPS) as I expect to stick to Metrum/Sonnet for the near future and plan to roll some cable and am looking for some pointers.

Planning to compare Cat 8.1 ethernet cable, and some DIY versions using ; copper in cotton, UP OCC copper in PTFE, UP OCC silver/gold, my initial impression comparing a bog standard HDMI versus the Blue Jeans HDMI versus my home grown is that there are differences but far more subtle than with USB AND the burn in time is enormous.

sort of crosspost, figuring there are more Metrum Dac's with RJ45 I2S topology

Dec 2, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #713 of 1,451
Just noticed on the Metrum website that they announce a 'big upgrade' to DAC 3 modules and are now Polling for interest, supposedly the upgrade brings the onyx/jade to Pavane levels

I'm interested!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #714 of 1,451
nobody making their own RJ45 I2S cables?
Personally, I have used one of these sablon Audio ethernet cables to connect my Ambre to the Morpheus, and love the results. Some might consider it overkill, but I don't :

A6508435.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #716 of 1,451
Personally, I have use one of these sablon Audio ethernet cables to connect my Ambre to the Morpheus, and love the results. Some might consider it overkill, but I don't :

A6508435.jpg
I don't believe in high priced ethernet cables.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #717 of 1,451
can we have the cable esoterica discussion somewhere else please? I don't believe in high pricedcables for anything but I do believe in better cables for digital.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #718 of 1,451
thanks, is that a regular ethernet cable? or a dedicated RJ45 I2S cable?

If by "regular" you mean an ethernet cable that I would ordinarily buy to connect my computer to a router, then this is not it, although one could use it as an ethernet cable. I think this is best described as an aftermarket "audiophile" RJ45/Ethernet cable that one might get to connect components in an audio chain with the express purpose of achieving certain "audiophile friendly" impacts. Sablon Audio is not the only one making this type of product.

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #719 of 1,451
LOL, I hear you, thanks that helps, I can start putting together a cable to be ready for the delivery later today :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back