All things Metrum Acoustics
Oct 9, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #166 of 1,451
Yeah, I want to see these things measured and studied too. Some Amethyst measurements were posted on the forum that must not be named. It did well overall but sadly frequency response wasn't one of them. Those measurements left some questions hanging, e.g. white noise spectrum wasn't what I'd expect from a NOS DAC that uses a gentle low-pass filter on its output which what Metrum DACs with Transient chips supposedly are so unclear if those measurements can be trusted. If that white noise spectrum is actually correct then Metrum DACs should ring like hell which would contradict the tauted "perfect impulse response" that they are supposed to produce.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #167 of 1,451
At the same time, I feel like a total moron, for not stopping the needless second guessing, and not simply enjoying the absolutely succulent and liquid musical nirvana in which my head is swimming at present (listening to Mathias Eick's Ravensburg . Album on the ECM label in Tidal MQA format)... It is almost like arriving at Audio Nirvana, and asking the first Angel one meets whether there's an even more awesome place to be...

I dont think it will stop while you are still browsing headfi...

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #168 of 1,451
I've been away from head fi for awhile.....was super happy (still am on the head fi side) after riding off into the sunset with some nice electrostat setups (BHSE, KGSSHV Carbon, SR-009/007 mk1) with the Pavane L1 (only level 1 back then). Recently came back into the hifi world because my dream speakers for the last 14 years fell in my lap.....don't need to go into details the rabbit hole it's sent me on. But I've again chosen the Pavane as my DAC (L3 this time of course) and thanks to all the great feedback and instruction on the l2s module with the Ambre....I decided to go this route as well (after experimenting and seeing Roon has been MISSING in my life too long, good thing my Bryston BDP-2 that I use for head fi is a compatible Roon endpoint). All I can say is beyond the convenience and integration.....it really is a phenomenal setup feeding the l2s directly to the Pavane. Everything was great about it in terms of better detail retrieval, cleaner staging,and I could swear it opened up the lower frequencies in my case as well (ok this could be from me moving some of my furniture around last night hah, but still very welcome!). Thanks to you guys for sharing the l2s mod and the feedbacks, another happy camper here. The Metrum team has been awesome also with support and chatting with me during the buying stage.....my only gripes about this is that the module makes it so the RJ45 port doesn't sit flush against the usb cutout on the back of the DAC (it sits higher) so you have to kind of insert the RJ45 connector at an upward angle and I can't get my cable to "snap"/be secure. Small quirk but worth mentioning for others installing this mod (just elaborating since it's been mentioned before).

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #169 of 1,451
That's great! Agree on all points, including the switch over to Roon.

I'd always been dubious about shelling out $$$ for Roon, having been a long-time Foobar2000 person, but now I love it.

Another plus is that when I show people my setup, they see a presentable, well-designed full screen UI on the big-screen TV instead of... well, Foobar :)

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #170 of 1,451
I have been using my Ambre for about 2 weeks now, connected to a Metrum DAC (the Onyx) via the I2S, and it has been rocking on several levels, exceeding my expectations in many ways, even though up until today, I have been listening to Ambre/Roon music only through my Hifiman He-1000 headphones, which is hooked up to my Cavalli Liquid Carbon v1.

However, as I mentioned in August, I have been always curious about how the Ambre would compare to the Ultrarendu as a Roon endpoint. Now, my Ultrarendu, which is powered by the Uptone Audio LPS 1.2, is itself hooked up to my Schiit Yggdrasil (Analog 2) via the Stello U3 USB ==> AES/EBU converter (I think this hookup sounds better than the Yggy’s USB-5 one, even if the difference is slight), and they serve my main 2-channel speaker system, which I typically enjoy quite a lot.

Today, however, I replaced the Ultrarendu with the Ambre in the Yggy A2 based chain which serves my main 2 channel speaker rig, using the Ambre’s AES connection, and the results are what I can only describe, for now, as “spectacularly ambiguous,” but in a good, “win win,” kind of way.

Not everything is as yet conclusive, but these are what my impressions are so far :

1. I suspect the Ambre’s I2s output, which serves my Onyx ==>>LCv1==>> He-K headphones rig, sounds a wee bit more spacious, airier, more resolving, and overall, noticeably better, even if it is by a hair, either than the AES connection that is going to the Yggy, but I cannot completely verify this until I eventually hook the Onyx to speakers, which I am still yet to do. Note that I am not claiming that the Ambre’s AES output, now hooked up to the Yggy A2, is a slouch. Quite the contrary.

2. As compared to the Ultrarendu/I2S ==>>Stello U3==>> Yggy A2, the Ambre==>Yggy (via AES) is slamming and rocking as hard on all fronts, if not a bit harder in some key areas. This is a well-matched, pound for pound combat, which will take a lengthier, more careful, and extended comparative listening session to definitively call. So far it is more of the Ambre calling attention not only to its own sonic virtues, but also to those of the rendu, in the process if you know what I mean. It seems to me sometimes that the Ambre sounds a wee bit more detailed and And slightly more resolving than the rendu, which is, in its own right, no slouch all either. Conversely, it seems sometimes that the Ultrarendu might have a tad more bass-heft and extension than the Ambre, which seems more gifted in texturizing the bass response, but in either case, the results are too close to call, and I think more extensive comparative listening is called for before the differences can be properly and more satisfyingly sorted out and nailed down,
What is strikingly interesting about this experimenting, so far, is that I am not coming out feeling any type of disappointment with either the ultrarendu or ambre, sonically speaking, although overall, I have to admit that I am more impressed with Ambre, given its higher relative versatility, as compared to the Ultrarendu.

1. Note that the Ultrarendu depends on an external power supply (in my case, the Uptone LPS 1.2) to bring out its best. The Ambre comes, on the other hand, with its own in-built power supply unit, which sounds as capable to my ears as the Uptone, if not more so. Although price-wise, the Ultrarendu/LPS-1.2 combo approximately equals the Ambre, the latter has the advantage of being a one-box solution, which makes quite an important difference to me, in simplifying hook-ups in my rig.
Still, the one unambiguous area in which the Ambre completely leaves the Ultrarendu/LPS-1.2 combo in the dust, lies in its relative versatility, mostly, in the superior number of connectivity options it offers. Whereas the Ultrarendu offers only one USB output, the Ambre offers a total of 4 that are all simultaneously active. In that respect, the Ambre is currently serving my main 2-channel rig via the AES connection, but I can also listen to it with my headphones on the Onyx/Cavalli rig via the I2S connection, so you could say, it is serving 2 rigs simultaneously at this very moment. It still has 2 ports left (an S/PDIF coaxial output, and a Toslink Optical output) which can be hooked to two other rigs if necessary…

From this latter viewpoint alone, I feel very confident in declaring the Ambre the winner over the Ultrarendu in two important areas, namely, in its versatility of connectivity options, and also as a value for money proposition, and those are nothing to sneeze at, in my view.

I still love my Ultrarendu as much as I did on the first day I got it, and since I need more than one reference calibre rig, I feel certain that it is going to stay… However, the Ambre must be given its due : as a roon endpoint, it is currently the undisputed, best-performing, king of the “castle,” that I also call my humble abode
slight_smile.png

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #171 of 1,451
I have been using my Ambre for about 2 weeks now, connected to a Metrum DAC (the Onyx) via the I2S, and it has been rocking on several levels, exceeding my expectations in many ways, even though up until today, I have been listening to Ambre/Roon music only through my Hifiman He-1000 headphones, which is hooked up to my Cavalli Liquid Carbon v1.

However, as I mentioned in August, I have been always curious about how the Ambre would compare to the Ultrarendu as a Roon endpoint. Now, my Ultrarendu, which is powered by the Uptone Audio LPS 1.2, is itself hooked up to my Schiit Yggdrasil (Analog 2) via the Stello U3 USB ==> AES/EBU converter (I think this hookup sounds better than the Yggy’s USB-5 one, even if the difference is slight), and they serve my main 2-channel speaker system, which I typically enjoy quite a lot.

Today, however, I replaced the Ultrarendu with the Ambre in the Yggy A2 based chain which serves my main 2 channel speaker rig, using the Ambre’s AES connection, and the results are what I can only describe, for now, as “spectacularly ambiguous,” but in a good, “win win,” kind of way.

Not everything is as yet conclusive, but these are what my impressions are so far :

1. I suspect the Ambre’s I2s output, which serves my Onyx ==>>LCv1==>> He-K headphones rig, sounds a wee bit more spacious, airier, more resolving, and overall, noticeably better, even if it is by a hair, either than the AES connection that is going to the Yggy, but I cannot completely verify this until I eventually hook the Onyx to speakers, which I am still yet to do. Note that I am not claiming that the Ambre’s AES output, now hooked up to the Yggy A2, is a slouch. Quite the contrary.

2. As compared to the Ultrarendu/I2S ==>>Stello U3==>> Yggy A2, the Ambre==>Yggy (via AES) is slamming and rocking as hard on all fronts, if not a bit harder in some key areas. This is a well-matched, pound for pound combat, which will take a lengthier, more careful, and extended comparative listening session to definitively call. So far it is more of the Ambre calling attention not only to its own sonic virtues, but also to those of the rendu, in the process if you know what I mean. It seems to me sometimes that the Ambre sounds a wee bit more detailed and And slightly more resolving than the rendu, which is, in its own right, no slouch all either. Conversely, it seems sometimes that the Ultrarendu might have a tad more bass-heft and extension than the Ambre, which seems more gifted in texturizing the bass response, but in either case, the results are too close to call, and I think more extensive comparative listening is called for before the differences can be properly and more satisfyingly sorted out and nailed down,
What is strikingly interesting about this experimenting, so far, is that I am not coming out feeling any type of disappointment with either the ultrarendu or ambre, sonically speaking, although overall, I have to admit that I am more impressed with Ambre, given its higher relative versatility, as compared to the Ultrarendu.

1. Note that the Ultrarendu depends on an external power supply (in my case, the Uptone LPS 1.2) to bring out its best. The Ambre comes, on the other hand, with its own in-built power supply unit, which sounds as capable to my ears as the Uptone, if not more so. Although price-wise, the Ultrarendu/LPS-1.2 combo approximately equals the Ambre, the latter has the advantage of being a one-box solution, which makes quite an important difference to me, in simplifying hook-ups in my rig.
Still, the one unambiguous area in which the Ambre completely leaves the Ultrarendu/LPS-1.2 combo in the dust, lies in its relative versatility, mostly, in the superior number of connectivity options it offers. Whereas the Ultrarendu offers only one USB output, the Ambre offers a total of 4 that are all simultaneously active. In that respect, the Ambre is currently serving my main 2-channel rig via the AES connection, but I can also listen to it with my headphones on the Onyx/Cavalli rig via the I2S connection, so you could say, it is serving 2 rigs simultaneously at this very moment. It still has 2 ports left (an S/PDIF coaxial output, and a Toslink Optical output) which can be hooked to two other rigs if necessary…

From this latter viewpoint alone, I feel very confident in declaring the Ambre the winner over the Ultrarendu in two important areas, namely, in its versatility of connectivity options, and also as a value for money proposition, and those are nothing to sneeze at, in my view.

I still love my Ultrarendu as much as I did on the first day I got it, and since I need more than one reference calibre rig, I feel certain that it is going to stay… However, the Ambre must be given its due : as a roon endpoint, it is currently the undisputed, best-performing, king of the “castle,” that I also call my humble abode
slight_smile.png
Thank you for a detailed comparison. Very Helpful.
I am currently home auditioning onyx with violectric v281.Right from the first track there was something special about onyx.It is clear upgrade over my hugo 2. I am big fan of chord products but i guess it will change shortly. The music is so relaxed without any loss of microdetails, well extended, pitch black background. Its really amazes me . I am getting a good quote from my dealer on pavane level 3 and ambre. I was planning to buy m-scaler but this has changed everything. This is the most close to analogue sound that i have ever been.

The biggest competitor imho is holo spring level 3 & Denafrips terminator. I cannot find any ccomparison between these DACs. Any input will be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #172 of 1,451
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #173 of 1,451
... willing to go the Ambre route and capitulate to Roon lock-in in the name of superior SQ...

Got a question. Does using the Ambre automatically result in Roon lock in? I have the Pavane I2S module on order and the next step is to get an Ambre. My goal is to get the absolute best out of my L3 Pavane with the I2S feed. I'm not sure if Roon is for me. So is it possible to connect the Ambre to your home network without Roon? Anyone done this?

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #174 of 1,451
Got a question. Does using the Ambre automatically result in Roon lock in? I have the Pavane I2S module on order and the next step is to get an Ambre. My goal is to get the absolute best out of my L3 Pavane with the I2S feed. I'm not sure if Roon is for me. So is it possible to connect the Ambre to your home network without Roon? Anyone done this?

You're locked into Roon with the Ambre. Strictly a Roon bridge.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #175 of 1,451
You can also install other Raspberry Pi-based music server distributions or whatever, and Metrum themselves mention this, though I have to confess I know nothing about that whole scene, having no patience for it.

FWIW, from their website:

The AMBRE out of the box comes as a ROON certified digital end point, however because of its architecture it is also capable of running different platforms such as DietPi and PiCorePlayer. This allows for even more possibilities such as playing Qobuz or Logitech Media Server content, or even being discovered in a network using UPnP.

I will say that I was a little leery of the whole Roon angle, but after having given myself up to their system, well... now I love it. :)

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #176 of 1,451
I'm not sold on the whole Ambre idea, well maybe until it's shown it can actually do more than just Roon. Even with Roon, technically there should not be any benefit as compared to just using the async USB or even SPDIF if it's done right. I suppose if someone has cash burning in their pocket and in need of a plug and play Roon endpoint with a Metrum logo then sure.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #177 of 1,451
I'm not sold on the whole Ambre idea, well maybe until it's shown it can actually do more than just Roon. Even with Roon, technically there should not be any benefit as compared to just using the async USB or even SPDIF if it's done right. I suppose if someone has cash burning in their pocket and in need of a plug and play Roon endpoint with a Metrum logo then sure.

Thank you to everyone for the replies - appreciated :thumbsup:

The Roon thing I could take or leave - what is driving me is the desire to get the benefits of the I2S feed into my Pavane. I love this DAC and want to get the very best out of it. Running a Singxer SU-1 off USB, then AES from there into the Pavane. That's the best setup I have tried so far. I want to take it to the next level with I2S, which limits my options.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #179 of 1,451
And what benefits would that be? I2S into Pavane will be same as the USB input at best, technically speaking.

I have read several reports of the I2S input taking the Pavane up a notch or two. Not just the Pavane - other DACs also benefit. The Holo Spring L3 KTE is another example.

I'm not good on the techie stuff, so I'm not even going to try to talk that talk. There have been enough reports of the benefits of I2S for me to want to try it.

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #180 of 1,451
Thank you to everyone for the replies - appreciated :thumbsup:

The Roon thing I could take or leave - what is driving me is the desire to get the benefits of the I2S feed into my Pavane. I love this DAC and want to get the very best out of it. Running a Singxer SU-1 off USB, then AES from there into the Pavane. That's the best setup I have tried so far. I want to take it to the next level with I2S, which limits my options.

I use the i2s to connect the Amber to my Onyx, and it does sound really good, and most importantly, it sounds different from both USB, and AES, and to my ears, a little better too. The AES Ambre/Onyx connection comes in at a close second, and is not at all a slouch, but I'll say that i2s connection wins it by a hair. My reference stereo system, which I have been using before acquiring the Ambre, is based on the Ultrarendu connected to my Yggdrasil Analog 2 either via USB5, or AES via the Stello U3. Now since acquiring the Ambre, it has become possible for me to test the Ambre too with the Yggy via the AES connection, and I'm beginning to prefer the Ambre/Yggy performance to the Ultrarendu/Yggy option, although I am not ready to retire the Ultrarendu as yet, because it is also very good in its own right... However this should say something about the quality of the ambre and its competitiveness as a standalone bridge and player

What all this means is that, I think the Ambre is certainly worth trying out, at least, in your system, especially if you are going to pair it with the Pavane via the I2S connection... Knowing how nicely it plays with the Onyx, it is certainly what I would recommend, without any hesitation. One area in which the Ambre beats out the Ultrarendu is the multiple connectivity options it offers, through the i2s, AES, S/PDIF coaxial, and optical outputs. Those are four output alternatives that you can use to serve four different rigs simultaneosly if needed, in the same way as it is currently serving both my Yggy and Onyx rigs. The best part, for someone in your position, is that the Ambre can be purchased from a dealer with a good return policy, as you most likely know already, which guarantees against buyer's remorse should you not like it.

In fairness, I should mention that, before getting the Ambre, I already had a lifetime Roon subscription which I have been using with the Ultrarendu and other network players in my house for more than a year now, so I was not bothered at all by the fact that the Ambre appeared, initially, to be a Roon exclusive device. It turns out, however, that one can expand its versatility to include other platforms (such as Qobuz and Spotify) simply by replacing the sd card in the Ambre with another from DietPi or PiCorePlayer. Personally, I have not experimented with this alternative SD card method, because I feel quite comfortable waiting for the alternative method that Metrum themselves are in the process of developing, but I know that others are using these methods, and either way, the Ambre need no longer be tethered exclusively to Roon, unless the user actually wants it that way.

Of course all this input is based on my own experiences with the Ambre and other components i have referred to in this post, and I realize that the proverbial mileage of others may vary:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back