All things Metrum Acoustics
Aug 31, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #136 of 1,451
What do you use to connect the rj45 as far as to connect to a pc and cable ?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but this description will probably answer it:
  • My PC, which is running the Roon server, is connected to my home network.
  • The Ambre is also connected to the network via ethernet cable to communicate with the Roon server.
  • The Pavane DAC has had its USB input swapped out with an I2S board from Metrum, which uses an RJ45 socket.
  • The Ambre is outputting I2S to the Pavane DAC using a separate (short) ethernet cable.

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #137 of 1,451
I'm not sure I understand your question, but this description will probably answer it:
  • My PC, which is running the Roon server, is connected to my home network.
  • The Ambre is also connected to the network via ethernet cable to communicate with the Roon server.
  • The Pavane DAC has had its USB input swapped out with an I2S board from Metrum, which uses an RJ45 socket.
  • The Ambre is outputting I2S to the Pavane DAC using a separate (short) ethernet cable.
So a regular ole ethernet cable works ok i mean if u swap out the usb you have no other way to use the dac for your pc like a sound card ? But you did answer my question, which was what component u use to connect the dac via rj45.

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #138 of 1,451
So a regular ole ethernet cable works ok i mean if u swap out the usb you have no other way to use the dac for your pc like a sound card ?

Yes, a normal ethernet cable works for the I2S connection. The common wisdom is that the shorter the better, although it's interesting to note that Metrum includes a 6 foot cable with the I2S board...

And yea, you totally give up USB when switching to I2S.

I currently still have my old setup connected, which is: PC to Singxer SU-1 to AES into the DAC. This allows me to still have the PC output to the DAC for the time being until I figure out which solution to ultimately ditch (if any).

I've just started comparing the Ambre/I2S to the SU-1/AES using Roon's "grouped zones" feature to sync the same music to both outputs. This ends up being useful for doing the A/B test since there's almost no discontinuity to the music when switching between the two. Also very useful because in the grand scheme of things, the differences in the resulting presentation are -- as you might expect -- pretty subtle...

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #139 of 1,451
Okay so here are my findings on the Ambre so far, connected to my Pavane Level 3 via I2S. The Ambre has been running for about 36 hours, FWIW.

As I mentioned above, I'm comparing it to my current setup, which is a "Kitsune Tuned Edition" of the Singxer SU-1 connected to the Pavane via AES. The SU-1 is being fed by my desktop PC, which is also being used as its own Roon endpoint. So the two devices are connected to the same DAC simultaneously, and using the Roon 'linked zones', I can switch between the I2S and AES inputs on the DAC with the same music playing from both sources, fully synced.

So between the two, differences exist, but they are very subtle.

The Ambre is just slightly sweeter. This would vary based on the combination of headphone, amp, and music, but was usually noticeable in varying degrees. I'm not sure if I'd say that that sweetness is a function of greater resolvingness or not, but probably so. On some fleeting occasions, I could isolate more air on the Ambre than the SU-1. Additionally, bass on the Ambre goes a shade deeper and fuller, especially when using the HEKv2.

There is a slight shift in soundstage, where the Ambre is slightly wider, with less 'crowding' around the center. Also, its center of gravity shifts upward slightly. However, depending on the combination of headphones (Abyss Phi, Utopia, or HEKv2), amp (GS-X mk2 or WA33), and specific music, this change could be virtually nonexistent. When it was noticeable, the difference was akin to changing from solid state to tubes, though a little more subtle.

Also worth noting is that the above differences were most noticeable with the HEKv2 on the WA33 (as well as with busier, crowded musical passages over acoustic music with a lot of black background filling in between the notes). With the HEKv2/WA33 combination specifically, I'm confident in being able to say the Ambre/I2S bests the SU-1/AES. With various other downstream combos, the perceived changes ranged from subtle to doubtful. And in all cases, if it weren't for having the ability to switch back and forth instantaneously, it would have been close to impossible for me to have any confidence in asserting any differences at all.

So I guess my takeaway is that using the Ambre with the I2S output is a very satisfying solution -- provided you don't mind the "Roon lock-in". As for myself, I think I'll probably be keeping in my system -- even though I still like having the other DDC in order to output from the PC (!) :)

Sep 1, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #140 of 1,451
Okay so here are my findings on the Ambre so far, connected to my Pavane Level 3 via I2S. The Ambre has been running for about 36 hours, FWIW.

As I mentioned above, I'm comparing it to my current setup, which is a "Kitsune Tuned Edition" of the Singxer SU-1 connected to the Pavane via AES.

You should try connecting the SU-1 with a linear power supply, the jump in sound quality will be big!

Just need to buy this
https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc99.html
or this
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxer-su-1-dc-power-conversion-kit-kitsunehifi-2-1mmx5-5mm/

and then just buy a LPS with a compatible 5 volt option. The Uptone Ultracap 1.2 is fairly cheap & highly recommended.

Sep 2, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #142 of 1,451
I too have the Kitsune Tuned Edition SU-1.
I found it to be more analytical & maybe a bit more dry sounding than the stock version of the SU-1.

With the LPS added, all the PRaT came rushing back without altering the more detail sound. I felt it made a bigger difference than the jump from stock SU-1 to the KTE version.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #143 of 1,451
So I guess my takeaway is that using the Ambre with the I2S output is a very satisfying solution -- provided you don't mind the "Roon lock-in". As for myself, I think I'll probably be keeping in my system -- even though I still like having the other DDC in order to output from the PC (!) :)

Ambre is just a mini linux board with a quality digital audio output. Metrum suggested you could just swap out the bootable flash and run other software on Ambre, at least in theory. I'm somewhat skeptical say Volumio will just run out of the box, but it's likely possible to make it run with some tweaks.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #144 of 1,451
My opinion just go for the onyx i love mine and it was my first purchase over 2k on any audio product and i regret nothing.

I wouldn't bother with the Menuet for 500 less than the Onyx frankly. Last time I checked Metrum didn't offer DAC module upgtades, so you may well be stuck with the 16 bit modules it has. Afaik the Menuet doesn't have FPGA as the L1 Pavane, so while fully differential it's a 16 bit device.

Correction: I should have verified it before posting but the Menuet does have the Metrum's FPGA tech, so it is better than I thought but the Onyx has 2x more DAC modules technically. I always thought it was just a balanced version of the Musette, but turns out it is more than that. This also likely means it is not upgradeable to Transient 2 modules. A used L1 Pavane is another consideration.

You're both right about not bothering with the Menuet, and going for the Onyx instead in this trade-up. I also just heard back from Anjo, who points out, quite bluntly, that the Menuet is on a par with the Amethyst, whatever that means... I do not know whether he was overstating things, but that just about killed my interest in the Menuet. He also dismissed the idea of doing any upgrades for Menuet.

I am glad I made this inquiry before opting to settle for the Menuet... It has been eye-opening. Thanks.

@wazzupi and @gvl2016 : I did wind up trading up my Hex for the Onyx... I got a good price too for the deal... Thanks for your inputs

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #145 of 1,451

As I mentioned above, I'm comparing it to my current setup, which is a "Kitsune Tuned Edition" of the Singxer SU-1 connected to the Pavane via AES. The SU-1 is being fed by my desktop PC, which is also being used as its own Roon endpoint. So the two devices are connected to the same DAC simultaneously, and using the Roon 'linked zones', I can switch between the I2S and AES inputs on the DAC with the same music playing from both sources, fully synced.

So between the two, differences exist, but they are very subtle.

The Ambre is just slightly sweeter. This would vary based on the combination of headphone, amp, and music, but was usually noticeable in varying degrees. I'm not sure if I'd say that that sweetness is a function of greater resolvingness or not, but probably so. On some fleeting occasions, I could isolate more air on the Ambre than the SU-1. Additionally, bass on the Ambre goes a shade deeper and fuller, especially when using the HEKv2.

There is a slight shift in soundstage, where the Ambre is slightly wider, with less 'crowding' around the center. Also, its center of gravity shifts upward slightly. However, depending on the combination of headphones (Abyss Phi, Utopia, or HEKv2), amp (GS-X mk2 or WA33), and specific music, this change could be virtually nonexistent. When it was noticeable, the difference was akin to changing from solid state to tubes, though a little more subtle.

Also worth noting is that the above differences were most noticeable with the HEKv2 on the WA33 (as well as with busier, crowded musical passages over acoustic music with a lot of black background filling in between the notes). With the HEKv2/WA33 combination specifically, I'm confident in being able to say the Ambre/I2S bests the SU-1/AES. With various other downstream combos, the perceived changes ranged from subtle to doubtful. And in all cases, if it weren't for having the ability to switch back and forth instantaneously, it would have been close to impossible for me to have any confidence in asserting any differences at all.

I too have the Kitsune Tuned Edition SU-1.
I found it to be more analytical & maybe a bit more dry sounding than the stock version of the SU-1.

With the LPS added, all the PRaT came rushing back without altering the more detail sound. I felt it made a bigger difference than the jump from stock SU-1 to the KTE version.

@llamaluv and @Thenewguy007 : Since t received the Onyx, I have also got the Ambre and the i2s module for the Onyx, but I have not made the USB/i2s swap yet... For some reason, your discussion of the SU-1 is making me want to second-guess myself for going the ambre-onyx route, but should I?

Without the Ambre, I was planning on pairing my Microrendu/LPS-1.2 combo with the onyx via the schiit Eitr/SPDIF connection, but a couple of folks at Metrum and the Computer Audiophile forum persuaded me that the Onyx-Ambre pairing would sound better, not to mention add up to one less box (LPS-1.2) in the chain...I have briefly tested the Microrendu 1.4 /LPS-1.2 combo with the Onyx, but I am yet to test the Onyx-Ambre in my system, so I am not sure whether that was the right choice... Your mention of the SU-1 is complicating the picture even more, and I would like to know the final verdict of the experimentations you have mentioned are...

So far my already existing reference rig is a Ultrarendu/LPS 1.2 + Yggy2 via either USB5 or Stello U3/AES (+Violectric V281), and I enjoy it a lot

The second rig I'm putting together is going to be the Ambre + Onyx + Cavalli Liquid Carbon (or the Liquid Crimson/Monoprice Liquid Platinum when that comes out).. So far this plan is pretty much set, but I am wondering whether an SU-1 could usefully have a future somewhere in this configuration...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #147 of 1,451
I've found the Ambre/I2S to be a subtle but legit upgrade to the DDC solution I've been using up til now (KTE SU-1 into AES).

However, @Thenewguy007's suggestion earlier about trying a nice LPS to power the DDC makes me wonder if there'd be much if anything between the two after doing so...

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #148 of 1,451
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of the DDC boxes are on a level playing field.
I doubt the Ambre would be too far off from a SU-1.
Gotcha!

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #149 of 1,451
I've found the Ambre/I2S to be a subtle but legit upgrade to the DDC solution I've been using up til now (KTE SU-1 into AES).

However, @Thenewguy007's suggestion earlier about trying a nice LPS to power the DDC makes me wonder if there'd be much if anything between the two after doing so...

i think I need to stop the fretting and try to enjoy the Ambre/i2s/Onyx combo for sometime and see where that leads. The Onyx did sound great already with the microrendu/LPS 1.2 pairing. I'm excited to find out how different the Onyx/Ambre/i2s might be, in comparison. :)

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #150 of 1,451
I am about to replace the USB module in my Onyx with the i2s module, but I have no instructions to follow for doing that... Is there somewhere I can find such instructions on the net? Th i2s module itself does not seem to have a user manual, like the MQA module does.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back