All things Metrum Acoustics
Nov 5, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #196 of 1,451
Got my Ambre today (local supplier). I2S module is on the way from the Netherlands - should get that next week.

Setup was a breeze. Powered up the Ambre and hooked it up to my router, downloaded Roon and pointed the Roon application at my music library and I was setup within 10 minutes of opening the Ambre box. When Metrum say "Roon Ready" they aren't joking. Roon loves this device - found it within seconds and the connection is trouble free so far. I didn't have to touch any of my network config under Windows 10.

SQ via the AES output from the Ambre into the L3 Pavane is rather nice. Not sure if it is any better than the Singxer SU-1 USB->AES feed into the Pavane. I suspect it might be, but that is academic as it is the I2S option that is going to be the deciding factor on whether or not this was a good purchase.

Roon interface is pretty good. Lots of info and easy to use. So far, so good. Paint me happy :)

Sound good. The AES connection is very good already, and seems to work a bit better with my Yggy2, than the Ultrarendu does, although I have been too lazy to do a head to head in order to confirm that. I am feeling really spoiled using the Ambre to listen to they Yggy2 rig via AES, and to the Onyx rig via i12s... too spoilt listening to both rigs to bother about any head to head. As for the i2s Ambre/Pavane connection, I think it is better that I leave it to you to find out for yourself how that plays out, once your i2s module is in hand, and installed. One advantage of getting some listening done with the AES connection is that it will prep you better to assess the difference the i2s is going to make. Whatever the outcome, i think they both sound fantastic, myself, and I am particularly happy that the Ambre has not disappointed you. Congrats!.

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #197 of 1,451
Got my Ambre today (local supplier). I2S module is on the way from the Netherlands - should get that next week.

Oh, how interesting, from your sig it looks like our signal chains have a whole lot in common. I had also got the Ambre/Metrum I2S module combo as an alternative to running the (KTE) SU-1 into the Pavane L3. And I'm also using the GSX2 as one of my amps and the HEKv2 as one of my headphones, heh. I'll be interested to see how your final impressions compare.

One advantage of getting some listening done with the AES connection is that it will prep you better to assess the difference the i2s is going to make.

Another might be that in a few days' time, the Ambre could be more "burnt in". Personally, I felt like the Ambre got slightly better over the course of a week's worth of running time (though with so many things related to burn-in, it's difficult to say with certainty, etc). Anyway, food for thought...

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #198 of 1,451

Setup was a breeze. Powered up the Ambre and hooked it up to my router, downloaded Roon and pointed the Roon application at my music library and I was setup within 10 minutes of opening the Ambre box. When Metrum say "Roon Ready" they aren't joking. Roon loves this device - found it within seconds and the connection is trouble free so far. I didn't have to touch any of my network config under Windows 10.

SQ via the AES output from the Ambre into the L3 Pavane is rather nice. Not sure if it is any better than the Singxer SU-1 USB->AES feed into the Pavane. I suspect it might be, but that is academic as it is the I2S option that is going to be the deciding factor on whether or not this was a good purchase.

Roon interface is pretty good. Lots of info and easy to use. So far, so good. Paint me happy :)
Congratulations! Ambre is a great product imo and an all in one package.

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #199 of 1,451
I installed the I2S module yesterday. Impressed. Not a massive, night and day, improvement over SPDIF, but a noticeable improvement in SQ.

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #201 of 1,451
I installed the I2S module yesterday. Impressed. Not a massive, night and day, improvement over SPDIF, but a noticeable improvement in SQ.

Got mine today. Installed and running in the Pavane right now. Installation was a breeze - even a ham fisted neanderthal like me can do it in 5 mins.

Only issue is that the Ethernet cable catch won't quite click in properly. I think it is the USB hole in the chassis not being quite big enough. Doesn't really matter as the cable is holding fine after swapping a few out to find one that sticks. Anyone else have this issue?

Initial sound impressions are positive. It is kinda like AES with a veil lifted (not that the AES ever sounded veiled to me - just in comparison to the I2S feed). Guitar strings are more resonant and 'real' sounding. Vocals have better separation from the instruments and more presence. Sound stage does seem more precise. Dynamics are more pronounced. Sound is more 'raw' - more like you are there in the room than with AES. Still getting my head around the new sound with some favorite tracks.

I will give my new setup a week or two to run in and then do some A/B testing comparing (Singxer SU-1 + AES) vs (Ambre + I2S).

The cost of Roon + Ambre + I2S chip is significant, so I was looking for a significant upgrade. Early impression is that that is what I have received in spades, but will reserve judgement for a few weeks.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #204 of 1,451
I don't play the cable game. Utterly irrelevant to the SQ IMHO. YMMV.
Got mine today. Installed and running in the Pavane right now. Installation was a breeze - even a ham fisted neanderthal like me can do it in 5 mins.

Only issue is that the Ethernet cable catch won't quite click in properly. I think it is the USB hole in the chassis not being quite big enough. Doesn't really matter as the cable is holding fine after swapping a few out to find one that sticks. Anyone else have this issue?

Initial sound impressions are positive. It is kinda like AES with a veil lifted (not that the AES ever sounded veiled to me - just in comparison to the I2S feed). Guitar strings are more resonant and 'real' sounding. Vocals have better separation from the instruments and more presence. Sound stage does seem more precise. Dynamics are more pronounced. Sound is more 'raw' - more like you are there in the room than with AES. Still getting my head around the new sound with some favorite tracks.

I will give my new setup a week or two to run in and then do some A/B testing comparing (Singxer SU-1 + AES) vs (Ambre + I2S).

The cost of Roon + Ambre + I2S chip is significant, so I was looking for a significant upgrade. Early impression is that that is what I have received in spades, but will reserve judgement for a few weeks.

Hi Tony and all,

I have pursued the USB to i2s for years but it has eluded me until now. I've been messing with computer audio since the days of Doede Duoma's DDD 1543 DAC and am on my 3rd Metrum DAC, which is the fantastic Adagio.

I ordered the i2s card from Metrum and installed it today. I had purchased from China a USB to i2s converter that uses a RJ45 connector. The unit is on eBay as the FUN01 u208 xmos converter. I also bought the optional linear PS thAt you can get with it.

There is little information on this unit, but reports elsewhere on head-fi theorized that the maker may be related to the Singx folks.

I just want to report that the unit worked straight out of the box and to my ears represents a significant improvement vs my previous set up, which was a battery powered ART Legatto II USB/SPDIF converter using a special ART BNC cable.

My conclusion that there is more detail, better imaging and good treble performance is unscientific....so please don't ask me to prove my clear preference for the i2s input. If it is psychological so be it.

I just wanted to share with the group that another non-roon option exists that you can try for about $200 plus the Metrum board.

Also want to say that although I listen via loudspeakers, I find the posts on head-fi to be largely well considered and informative.

Best,

LouD

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    723 KB · Views: 0
Nov 29, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #206 of 1,451
Pretty relevant for I2S...

I don't want to trigger a cable debate. That derails threads into oblivion every time. If cables make a difference for you then that's great - enjoy :)

Getting back to Singxer->AES vs Ambre->I2S, after several days of running I have to say that the difference is subtle. I2S is better, for sure, but not by a huge amount. Was it worth it? Ambre + Roon subscription + I2S module adds up to a reasonable wedge of cash. I am still undecided on this - will do some hardcore A/B testing this weekend and report back my findings.

I think this reflects more on just how good the Singxer->AES setup is. There just isn't that much more performance to wrung out of the move to Ambre->I2S.

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #207 of 1,451
It is not a debate, it is how things work. USB, AES, SPDIF interfaces in DACs were all designed to reject jitter to various degrees. I2S is a protocol for connections between closely placed chips on a PCB not separate components with a cable between them, I2S signal typically directly clocks the DAC chips so any phase noise due to cables with high parasitic capacitance will undoubtedly end up on the analog outputs. I'm not going to say go and spend 4 digits on fancy audiophile Ethernet cables for I2S, but do make sure you're using the shortest cable possible.

Dec 5, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #208 of 1,451
So. My Adagio arrived and I had some time to listen to it yesterday. I have directly connected it to my NVA A100 monoblocks. Presentation very different from the Onyx feeding an NVA P90SA (https://www.nvahifi.co.uk/p90sa-preamplifier) and I am not actually sure if I like it. A lot more bass; I have had to move my speakers further from the rear wall to compensate. It also sounds to me like everything except the voices are emphasised and raised, with the actual vocals being quieter. There is more detail, and a tangible vividness to the sound stage that vastly exceeds the Onyx. But the whole caboodle is just 'different' from Onyx and Pre and my reaction isn't what I hoped.

I am also having issues with the volume; it is very loud at 0900 and I just can't bear it at 1000. Even engaging the -10db on the outputs doesn't make a huge difference. My cables, amps and speakers all must be super efficient.

Wondering if I haven't made a mistake and perhaps should have gone for the Parvane which is identical less the volume control. Can anyone relate to this? Thoughts?

I had thought to put my passive pre back in chain after Adagio just to see what that did and then I might have a better idea of how to proceed.

Alternative would be to keep the Adagio and just buy a Forte to pair with it. Not sure I am ready to throw another £5,000 at it though.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #209 of 1,451
Sounds like the A100s were designed to work with a passive pre and low input levels, i.e. the Adagio's output is too hot for them. Passive preamps often thin the sound, perhaps the elimination of the P90SA led to the differences you're hearing or you're simply listening at a higher volume. Indeed Pavane might have been a better option given your gear. One thing you could do is to add in-line attenuators before the amps. Also check with the manufacturer, there may be an easy way to lower A100's sensitivity like an internal jumper.

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #210 of 1,451
Sounds like the A100s were designed to work with a passive pre and low input levels, i.e. the Adagio's output is too hot for them. Passive preamps often thin the sound, perhaps the elimination of the P90SA led to the differences you're hearing or you're simply listening at a higher volume.

I think that's really interesting and probably exactly the reason. Is there any mileage in retraining my ears do you think? Volume isn't an issue, I have listened at loud volumes with the Onyx. I hadn't realised passive-preamps had that impact on the sound. It does tie with my own experience as I sit reflecting back now.

Indeed Pavane might have been a better option given your gear. One thing you could do is to add in-line attenuators before the amps. Also check with the manufacturer, there may be an easy way to lower A100's sensitivity like an internal jumper.

I'd rather not use anything in the chain. I want it to work perfectly without attenuators. Sadly the owner of NVA is a complete arse (long story for another day), so I won't be going to him for any support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back