All things Metrum Acoustics
Nov 1, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #181 of 1,451
For 5 large or whatever the Pavane list price is now, they better make sure that the performance of the inputs it ships with is state of the art. The USB input ends up being I2S inside the DAC, so it's not all that clear to me what are the benefits of moving the USB chipset outside the DAC. For the Ambre itself, yes I can see that the I2S connection can be a better interface, at least in theory. Bottom line is if you're already committed to Roon then getting the Ambre with I2S while expensive can be justified. If however you're subscribing to Roon and getting the Ambre/I2S just for the sake of experiencing the said I2S benefits then it's really not money well spent, just my 2c.

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #182 of 1,451
For 5 large or whatever the Pavane list price is now, they better make sure that the performance of the inputs it ships with is state of the art. The USB input ends up being I2S inside the DAC, so it's not all that clear to me what are the benefits of moving the USB chipset outside the DAC. For the Ambre itself, yes I can see that the I2S connection can be a better interface, at least in theory. Bottom line is if you're already committed to Roon then getting the Ambre with I2S while expensive can be justified. If however you're subscribing to Roon and getting the Ambre/I2S just for the sake of experiencing the said I2S benefits then it's really not money well spent, just my 2c.

Not all inputs are created equal. Even for USB. I get a subtle but noticeable improvement by putting my Singxer SU-1 between the USB input and converting it to AES for input into the Pavane. Logically, that's hard to explain. Additional messing about with the digital input signal should degrade the SQ, not improve it. Maybe the clocking in the Singxer USB input is better than the clocking in the Pavane USB input. Or maybe the Pavane just excels with AES over USB. I can't really explain why USB works better with an external digital conversion unit feeding it AES, but it does.

If the Ambre does a better job on USB->I2S conversion than the Pavane USB input, then that might explain the I2S benefit.I really don't know.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #183 of 1,451
Not all inputs are created equal. Even for USB. I get a subtle but noticeable improvement by putting my Singxer SU-1 between the USB input and converting it to AES for input into the Pavane. Logically, that's hard to explain. Additional messing about with the digital input signal should degrade the SQ, not improve it. Maybe the clocking in the Singxer USB input is better than the clocking in the Pavane USB input. Or maybe the Pavane just excels with AES over USB. I can't really explain why USB works better with an external digital conversion unit feeding it AES, but it does.

If the Ambre does a better job on USB->I2S conversion than the Pavane USB input, then that might explain the I2S benefit.I really don't know.

Define better. Often higher distortion is perceived as "better" than lower distortions, e.g. tube vs. solid state. Metrum's USB interface is pretty good. Any benefits of a better clock in an I2S source can be cancelled out by the additional jitter due to longer I2S signal path over external cabling. Even if you can pick out the differences in a blind test, and I'll wager $1 you won't be able to, they can easily be due to a worse technical performance despite the fact one connection type seems to sound "better" than the other.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #184 of 1,451
Anyone know if its possible to get a custom i2s cable with the Ethernet connector on one side to cook up the Pavane & the other end of the cable be a HDMI connector? Would that work?
I know a few custom cable makers, but not sure if that type can be made?

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #185 of 1,451
Anyone know if its possible to get a custom i2s cable with the Ethernet connector on one side to cook up the Pavane & the other end of the cable be a HDMI connector? Would that work?
I know a few custom cable makers, but not sure if that type can be made?

Nope, the HDMI connector uses differential signaling, Metrum RJ45 is single-ended. You need a converter from LVDO to single-ended or a DDC with a single ended I2S output, they do exist, and even then you might need to have a custom cable made due to pinout differences.

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #186 of 1,451
After auditioning Metrum onyx, I was very impressed by their sound signature i.e. close to analogue.
So I went ahead and got Pavane L3 i2s + Ambre. Decided to sacrifice usb altogether.
Last 24 hours has completely changed my perception of music. The tonality is simply outstanding. The pitch black background, deep & tall soundstage is a treat for ears. The sound is so natural.No coloration. I can finally listen to Adele & Amy Winehouse in peace.

I had auditioned Dave alongside my hugo2 a month back. I didn't experienced the same level of enjoyment or eargasm.
The sound from pavane is just effortless, no harshness/edginess/sibilance. Just Pure Music.
I don't miss Dave at all tbh.

The built quality is awesome. It weighs around 10 kgs. The black glass top adds class to its body.

Metrum recommends 3-4 weeks of burn in for pavane. Will report back.:smile_phones:

Nov 3, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #187 of 1,451
After auditioning Metrum onyx, I was very impressed by their sound signature i.e. close to analogue.
So I went ahead and got Pavane L3 i2s + Ambre. Decided to sacrifice usb altogether.
Last 24 hours has completely changed my perception of music. The tonality is simply outstanding. The pitch black background, deep & tall soundstage is a treat for ears. The sound is so natural.No coloration. I can finally listen to Adele & Amy Winehouse in peace.

I had auditioned Dave alongside my hugo2 a month back. I didn't experienced the same level of enjoyment or eargasm.
The sound from pavane is just effortless, no harshness/edginess/sibilance. Just Pure Music.
I don't miss Dave at all tbh.

The built quality is awesome. It weighs around 10 kgs. The black glass top adds class to its body.

Metrum recommends 3-4 weeks of burn in for pavane. Will report back.:smile_phones:

Lol... I've had my Onyx for barely 2 months now, and there you go, already making me pine for a Pavane... Now knowing how the Ambre rocks via i2s, I can only wonder with awe at the peaks off delight your new rig must be serving up... Congrats!

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #188 of 1,451
Lol... I've had my Onyx for barely 2 months now, and there you go, already making me pine for a Pavane... Now knowing how the Ambre rocks via i2s, I can only wonder with awe at the peaks off delight your new rig must be serving up... Congrats!
I am thrilled. This is so different from other DACs. It reminds me of my friends 2ch high end analogue setup.
Metrum have hit the bulls eye with pavane.
I don't know what will happen after a month of burn in.
Burn in has a positive impact on its sound.
Also, they have an excellent service.CEO Mr.Anjo personally contacted me and verified my unit and cleared my doubts.
Metrum has recently started official sales in my country.

Cheers

Nov 3, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #189 of 1,451
Also, they have an excellent service.CEO Mr.Anjo personally contacted me and verified my unit and cleared my doubts.

Cheers
Yes, that too. They do indeed have an excellent service.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #190 of 1,451
Last 24 hours has completely changed my perception of music. The tonality is simply outstanding. The pitch black background, deep & tall soundstage is a treat for ears. The sound is so natural.No coloration. I can finally listen to Adele & Amy Winehouse in peace....

Thank you for sharing your experience and pics. Welcome to Club Pavane.

I went through a bunch of delta-sigma DACs before finding that the sound signature of R2R NOS is what floats my boat. The harsh leading edge of sound from even the best delta-sigma units put me off (looking at you - Bricasti M1).

Was it difficult to setup your system with Roon? I have an Ambre and the I2S module on the way. Really looking forward to feeding the Pavane I2S.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #191 of 1,451
The Roon Ambre set up protocol is very easy. You just connect the ambre to your router with an appropriate cable. When the Ambre is turned on, the blue led blinks for a few seconds as it establishes its "handshake" with the network, and as soon as the blinking stops, you're good to go. It means that Roon will recognize the ambre as an endpoint/playback output in the Audio menu... You just have to name that endpoint/output and configure it in Roon to your desired specs, and then you're done.

By the way, I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the ambre with the pavane via the i2s module.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #192 of 1,451
I am thrilled. This is so different from other DACs. It reminds me of my friends 2ch high end analogue setup.
Metrum have hit the bulls eye with pavane.
I don't know what will happen after a month of burn in.
Burn in has a positive impact on its sound.

Cheers

Anjo is a really nice chap; he has always been superb during my purchases from Metrum. I'm pleased you are enjoying your Pavane; I haven't yet installed the I2S module in my Onyx, still using a very expensive Reference digital SPDIF cable. Am currently thinking about upgrading my Onyx to an Adagio and getting rid of my passive pre-amp. Undecided.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #193 of 1,451
Thank you for sharing your experience and pics. Welcome to Club Pavane.

I went through a bunch of delta-sigma DACs before finding that the sound signature of R2R NOS is what floats my boat. The harsh leading edge of sound from even the best delta-sigma units put me off (looking at you - Bricasti M1).

Was it difficult to setup your system with Roon? I have an Ambre and the I2S module on the way. Really looking forward to feeding the Pavane I2S.
Thank you.
@sahmen explained the procedure very nicely.
Ambre will not be detected in standby mode by Roon.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #194 of 1,451
Anjo is a really nice chap; he has always been superb during my purchases from Metrum. I'm pleased you are enjoying your Pavane; I haven't yet installed the I2S module in my Onyx, still using a very expensive Reference digital SPDIF cable. Am currently thinking about upgrading my Onyx to an Adagio and getting rid of my passive pre-amp. Undecided.
Thank you.
You should go ahead and pull the trigger on Adagio
Initally I was confused whether to go for onyx or pavane.
From my initial listen i can say that pavane is a definite upgrade over onyx imho.
My opinion may change after a month.(After burn in)
The improvements it offers may be minimal but it has a huge impact on sound. To improve upon an already excellent onyx is something.
Right from the starting of track you can hear it's magic.
I was listening to 'thriller', as you know it is a very complex track. The imaging, tonality & texture of electric and bass guitar and other sounds were beautiful.

On vocal jazz tracks, the mids are lush, bodied, natural, emotional & textured.
It's simply sublime.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #195 of 1,451
The Roon Ambre set up protocol is very easy. You just connect the ambre to your router with an appropriate cable. When the Ambre is turned on, the blue led blinks for a few seconds as it establishes its "handshake" with the network, and as soon as the blinking stops, you're good to go. It means that Roon will recognize the ambre as an endpoint/playback output in the Audio menu... You just have to name that endpoint/output and configure it in Roon to your desired specs, and then you're done.

By the way, I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the ambre with the pavane via the i2s module.

Got my Ambre today (local supplier). I2S module is on the way from the Netherlands - should get that next week.

Setup was a breeze. Powered up the Ambre and hooked it up to my router, downloaded Roon and pointed the Roon application at my music library and I was setup within 10 minutes of opening the Ambre box. When Metrum say "Roon Ready" they aren't joking. Roon loves this device - found it within seconds and the connection is trouble free so far. I didn't have to touch any of my network config under Windows 10.

SQ via the AES output from the Ambre into the L3 Pavane is rather nice. Not sure if it is any better than the Singxer SU-1 USB->AES feed into the Pavane. I suspect it might be, but that is academic as it is the I2S option that is going to be the deciding factor on whether or not this was a good purchase.

Roon interface is pretty good. Lots of info and easy to use. So far, so good. Paint me happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back