All things Metrum Acoustics
May 23, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #601 of 1,451
After cees left there were a lot of problems at metrum. Poor customer service and issues servicing dealers. I ordered a pavane last july and waited over a month. I called the dealer and metrum had lost the order so they say. I ended up canceling the order and went on a wild dac adventure getting a TT2 + mscaler and then the dCS Bartok. It is a shame because I was upgrading from my onyx to the pavane and that would have been my endgame I think. In the end I am happy I am sure the pavane is incredible but I don't know that it can compare with the Bartok.

I couldn't agree more with your "poor customer service". evaluation. As a brief case in point and demonstration, I had a small problem with my freshly acquired Metrum Ambre, after about 6-7 months of owning it. i reported it to Metrum, and the main person in authority with whom I had communicated several times about my Ambre and Onyx (Lets call him ADH) asked me to speak to two associates of his (SP and ME) who allegedly had the expertise and know how to help me (that was on April 27th, 2019). Three days later (April 30th) I received this question, which I am quoting word for word, from one of the said associates (SP)

1."does the computer to which the ambre is connected has internet connection". (A strange question indeed, since I had already mentioned in a previous description of the problem that my Ambre was directly fed by my router, and was in turn connected to my. Onyx DAC via the i2S module. And my router was of course connected to the internet at all times, which I explained to SP once again)

Now 13 days after this correspondence (and yes, I mean thirteen, on May 13th), I received this follow-up from SP :

2. '"Sorry for the delay. Please help me with the below details.

1) was there any recent changes made to the network setting in your computer ? Do you use a Mac or Windows?

2) could you please try a different cable to connect the computer and ambre

3) please reinstall the roon controller once.

If all the above does not work please let me know."

At this point, given the nature of the questions and the 13 day delay between the first and second e-mails, I began to get a very bad feeling about the alleged "expertise" of SP, especially since I had dealt with Cees directly, about two years before, asking about an issue with my Metrum Hex which he resolved literally in minutes. SP, on the contrary begun to strike me as a person who was way in over his head. Still, I responded very patiently to the questions he asked, after which I *never" heard back from him, (SP) again. Go figure!

So how did I solve the problem, eventually. I described it to Cees in a PM, here on head-fi (in the same month of May 2019), and he immediately figured out that it was the SD card in the Ambre which was corrupted. He then had a replacement SD card sent to me in the mail on the same day, and it arrived here in Massachusetts in less than a week, and I had my Ambre all up and running as new once again, in less than a week of having reported it to Cees, who was no longer with Metrum at that point, btw.

So why have I reproduced this account including quotes from e-mails I received from Metrum between April and May of 2019? It is to demonstrate how absolutely glad and relieved I am, as an owner of Metrum components I love, that Cees not only stayed active in the industry after parting ways with Metrum, but also, that he has the kindness and professionalism to provide continuing technical/customer assistance for products he developed while at Metrum, and to do so *for free*.

Without him, I could still be waiting today, more than one year later," for that "miracle SD card swap" to solve my Ambre problem. I would still be waiting on poor SP to provide a solution he simply did not have, and could not fathom, thinking that my Ambre was "toast." So I am sorry, but I cannot respect any type of business ethics that would protect that kind of incompetence, and fault Cees for his timely and helpful intervention in this particular case.

With all that said, I also wish Metrum well, and do hope they come back, provided they do so with the type of personnel who are properly qualified to do the job, and know what they're doing. Without that, they'll be no good to anyone, beginning with themselves, and that would be very sad indeed, especially whenever the performance of the new regime is compared with the rich pedigree of the Cees era.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #605 of 1,451
why not look at Cees new company products rather than wait for Metrum to get their act together? Or indeed snag a used DAC (as I did, just prior to Metrum going MIA)

Jun 4, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #607 of 1,451
I looked at their website last evening for the first time. I couldn't find any manuals or help section. It was almost unusable as a website.

Jun 4, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #609 of 1,451
Jun 6, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #610 of 1,451

Very true, but on the brighter side of things, it appears that the new company of Cees, Sonnet Digital Audio, has now taken over the repair and even customer service duties for the Metrum products, at least according to this post:

This is an email he sent me a few months ago:

Hi Ken

I sold Metrum during summer 2018 and I had an agreement with the new owners to be involved with the company for four years as a designer. However during beginning of 2019 there was no money anymore to pay me for product development so I decided to start a new brand in August last year. It is about four weeks ago now that the company behind the Metrum brand is bankrupt . Assume that people can find us we have taken over the support for Metrum in case of repairs.

About the Morpheus
Morpheus is an entire new approach in case of the used dacs. The goal was to make it cheaper but at the same time it should be better as the Metrum predecessors . If we take Pavane or Adagio for instance you will find a lot of power to drive the dac modules so therefore three transformers are used. In case of the Morpheus the same amount of dacs ( four in each module) are used but consumes just a third of the power compared to Pavane /Adagio. The next advantage of having low power is noise radiation which is also a third. The last thing to make it cheaper is to remove all expensive stuff like aluminum around and glass top plate. But still due to size reduction the Morpheus is very solid.

Sound wise you can hear that the Morpheus is family with the Metrum products as it is still the NOS approach but besides the new dac modules we have improved the FPGA algorithms and made signal flow over the board shorter . As a result it surpass the Adagio , has better low level performance and a better holographic presentation. What I cannot decide for you or the differences mentioned is a reason for replacement. After all the Pavane is a very good design. An advantage can be that swapping from one to another can be realized without adding money as most of the hifi crowd still doesn’t know us

Met vriendelijke groet

Kind regards

Cees Ruijtenberg

Sonnet Digital Audio BV

Source :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...k-well-not-really.912400/page-6#post-15658919

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #611 of 1,451
I hope things improve but I'm not very encouraged.

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #613 of 1,451
has anyone experimented with a separate 5V on the USB bus? I cannot imagine the Metrum needs external 5V for anything BUT checking if a device is present so I want to use an external PSU for that to kill some noise as others have done before. I suspect I need to tie ground between computer USB out, USB -DC on DAC and the external PSU to get that to work. Thoughts anyone?

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #614 of 1,451
well given that I HAD to try I managed to kill my USB input....now using a Singxer SU1 USB to SPDIF instead, and am liking the unplanned yet required upgrade!
Anyone who has insights in getting I2S or AES into the Amethyst?

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #615 of 1,451
Anyone who has insights in getting I2S or AES into the Amethyst?

Don't think AES is possible but a power mod is required for the I2S module - two little wires to be added apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back