All things Metrum Acoustics
Apr 29, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #587 of 1,451
Of course Cees is still in business. At any rate, this news is making me take seriously the idea of trading my Metrum Onyx up for a Morpheus. I love the Onyx, but there is an unnecessary risk in retaining a product for which the parent company has simply vanished into thin air, for all kinds of obvious reasons.

I have to say, however, that, although he parted ways with Metrum acoustics in the Summer of 2018, Cees still freely answers any questions about all the metrum products, and even offers whatever support he can when asked, and that is the mark of a true professional. It is also not surprising since most, if not all, of the great Metrum products that are known around, are his designs, his "babies," so to speak. To me, that is one more reason that makes supporting the Morpheus, the Dac from his new company, the more compelling option, as compared to keeping an old Metrum product. At least that is my personal 2 cents, in the matter.

May 1, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #589 of 1,451
Not sure I am understanding the question... For one thing, one would expect to pay more, rather than less, for repairs and services, when one's unit has no warranty... Unless I am not understanding something clearly.

Okay, I think you mean that a DAC without a warranty sells for less. If so, I will have to say that the lack of a parent company and customer service has probably far worse consequences than what merely pertains to the absence of warranty service, since customer support can take many forms.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #590 of 1,451
indeed I was trying to point at a lower price for the used product, and also how often would a DAC require repairing or service?

May 2, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #591 of 1,451
indeed I was trying to point at a lower price for the used product, and also how often would a DAC require repairing or service?
It depends on who is making the DAC. I think you're overlooking the importance of upgrades, for example, software, firmware, and or hardware upgrades. For example, the upgrade from Pavane L1 to L3, which Metrum offered, is one which many buyers welcomed and took advantage of.

Take certain products of Schiit Audio, for example. I got my Yggy A1, used, in July 2016. Since then, I can think of at least 4 productions that have been very consequential for the life of my Yggy : 1. the Schiit Eitr release; 2. The release of the USB 5 module; 3. The Analog 2 upgrade, 4. The USB Unison module release.

My Yggy has benefitted from all these productions, many of which have had transformative effects on the, now Yggy A2's quality and performance. The Yggy I got in July 2016, is now undergoing what I consider to be its 3rd important transformative makeover, in the form of the Unison USB module, which I already have in hand and shall self-install one of these days

Also, my Yggy has gone back to Schiit Audio on 2 upgrade trips, and each time, it has returned "re-baptized," so to speak, with a new, and freshly reset 3-year warranty, and dare, I say, a new lease on life.

The point I am making is that none of these important transformative upgrades would have been possible had Schiit Audio simply closed shop, and vanished into thin Air in August 2016, the same way Metrum Acoustics has allegedly done now...

In the case of Metrum Acoustics, I bet those who got the Pavane L3 upgrade were very happy with it, and would have welcomed even more such renovative enhancements, had Metrum Acoustics remained in business, and alive to offer such upgrades to them...

I think with any DAC that sells for more than $2K, the modularity that enables such substantial upgrades and enhancements to take place, is a very desirable cost-effective way of prolonging the youth, freshness, not to mention the resale value, of the product. To eliminate such advantages with the disappearance of the parent company, along with other forms of customer and technical support, is quite devastating in my view, even if the DAC itself does not develop technical problems that would require fixing for a long time.

Accordingly, my Onyx is currently feeling like an orphan deserted and abandoned foreven by his parents, and I am sure he is not pleased at all :)

May 4, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #593 of 1,451
As sahmen says above there is still support if needed and the grave need not be dug yet. For existing owners who bought direct then warranty void. When dust settles I expect parts will still be available. This hopefully will enable upgrade of Dac modules/replacement parts if needed. I have been upgrading P L1’s since DAC TWO’s came out and my last for a customer was just before close down.

Factory upgrade not necessary – just competent tech which is what I arrange here. Quite a few Dealers still carry stock and I have a few bits + will continue to trade items. If buying Dealer new warranty issue should be discussed 1st. I would expect any Dealer to offer warranty if full price paid – they carry risk/offer support.

As for value 2nd hand then it’s like any Brand where warranty becomes void. Most are not upgradeable either - when new products come out they are often complete redesigns. Tweaks/ad on upgrades (?) still poss though e.g. many use Singxer- DDC's/Fuses (mentioned previously) and recently (not confirmed) the latest M2Tech driver for Windows/USB (this year).

May 9, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #594 of 1,451
Confirmed with Marco that the new (Jan) Windows driver is suitable for all M products (Transient) using their OEM-04 board. There will also be a further updated driver coming soon.

May 20, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #596 of 1,451
The Metrum website does say that they will come back. I wonder if they will support prior Metrum products.

On another note, I did think it was strange that Cees would start another company that competed with the company he founded and just left; it did seem somewhat unethical. In any case, I wish both parties well. My prior Metrum Pavane Lev. 3 was absolutely a killer DAC and I miss it.

May 21, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #597 of 1,451
The Metrum website does say that they will come back. I wonder if they will support prior Metrum products.

On another note, I did think it was strange that Cees would start another company that competed with the company he founded and just left; it did seem somewhat unethical. In any case, I wish both parties well. My prior Metrum Pavane Lev. 3 was absolutely a killer DAC and I miss it.
I would have been more relaxed had they put some pointer or atleast some assurance on providing support to existing customer instead of the message they have put on currently

May 21, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #598 of 1,451
It's common business practice when a significant person leaves a company to have them sign a non-compete agreement for an agreed upon period of time, which could have prevented Cees from starting up a competitive company. For Metrum to complain about it after the fact and say there's really nothing that they can do about it now seems pointless. I still own an Adagio DAC and find it to be an exceptional performer, so I hope that Metrum is able to successfully relaunch themselves including support of their legacy products.

May 23, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #599 of 1,451
Metrum was partially funded by investors and those may not have had high end audio QUALITY in mind, it might just be that Cees wanted to do different things he could not do within Metrum. Anyways, speculation aside; he is doing his own thing now and let's see what comes out of it, and let's also see what comes out of Metrum (if anything).

May 23, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #600 of 1,451
Metrum was partially funded by investors and those may not have had high end audio QUALITY in mind, it might just be that Cees wanted to do different things he could not do within Metrum. Anyways, speculation aside; he is doing his own thing now and let's see what comes out of it, and let's also see what comes out of Metrum (if anything).

After cees left there were a lot of problems at metrum. Poor customer service and issues servicing dealers. I ordered a pavane last july and waited over a month. I called the dealer and metrum had lost the order so they say. I ended up canceling the order and went on a wild dac adventure getting a TT2 + mscaler and then the dCS Bartok. It is a shame because I was upgrading from my onyx to the pavane and that would have been my endgame I think. In the end I am happy I am sure the pavane is incredible but I don't know that it can compare with the Bartok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back