All things Metrum Acoustics
Apr 19, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #256 of 1,451
I'm confused with the current Pavane selling for around $5,500 on their site. Is this the Level 3 version? Did the older Pavanes not have these upgrades?

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #257 of 1,451
Yep, they only offer one version of the Pavane now, which is the Level 3. The Level 1 and Level 2 versions haven't been offered for at least a year.

ZMF carries it and the other Metrum DACs. That's where I got mine, about a year ago now.

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #258 of 1,451
What is exactly Pavane L3? Afaik they now use 24 modules in the Pavane. How many modules per channel? Is it 2 as in Onyx/Jade or still 8 as in L1? If it's the latter, given the FPGA is now internal, are the modules simply paralleled? If it's the former, why so much more expensive than the Onyx?

Apr 20, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #259 of 1,451
I'm on the fence between the Pavane and Onyx. Not sure if the P is worth twice O...but I guess this hobby doesn't work that way...lol...

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #260 of 1,451
I'm on the fence between the Pavane and Onyx. Not sure if the P is worth twice O...but I guess this hobby doesn't work that way...lol...
Best way is to home audition both onyx & pavane. Metrum have a 30 days trial policy. I had tried both. Pavane is clearly above onyx in all departments.
YMMV

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #261 of 1,451
What is exactly Pavane L3? Afaik they now use 24 modules in the Pavane. How many modules per channel? Is it 2 as in Onyx/Jade or still 8 as in L1? If it's the latter, given the FPGA is now internal, are the modules simply paralleled? If it's the former, why so much more expensive than the Onyx?
From 6moons adagio review 2017:
"Another advantage for our DAC Two module is that it contains paired converters. Using the same number of modules as before, we now double the effective number of ladders. The current Pavane runs four modules per side, hence four ladders. The Adagio gets eight per channel even though you only see four. This doubling has a positive effect on noise, distortion and linearity. That's why we started an update program to get the Pavane to the same performance level. The current Pavane is now marked Level 1. Two more levels can be chosen, from Level 2 [+€826 ex VAT for the 192kHz broadcast module] to Level 3 [+€1'240 ex VAT for the 384kHz high-end version]. A final advantage of the DAC TWO module is that it frees up the slot for the external FPGA on the digital input board for future options."

https://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/metrum3/1.html

https://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/metrum6/1.html

Adagio= Pavane L2/L3 + preamp.

Apr 21, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #262 of 1,451
So, what's the topology? L1 had to use 2 16-bit modules per leg to get to 24 bit resolution with an external FPGA word splitter. Apparently L3 uses 2x24-bit per leg as well, are they simply paralleled now? And what the heck is/was L2 with "broadcast" modules? Faulty modules they can't get to full 386kHz performance?

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #263 of 1,451
My Pavane is being shipped to me as I write this. I've read a lot about the quality of the Pavane's USB and Toslink inputs being inferior to the coaxial and AES inputs. I'm looking to connect a good portable source to my iFi Micro BL and coax out to the Pavane instead of connecting the source directly to the Pavane via USB based on my reads but I'm definitely going to be comparing because if I can't hear any differences, I'll just stick with the USB inputs.

Any thoughts?

CJ
:)

Apr 25, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #264 of 1,451
My Pavane is being shipped to me as I write this. I've read a lot about the quality of the Pavane's USB and Toslink inputs being inferior to the coaxial and AES inputs. I'm looking to connect a good portable source to my iFi Micro BL and coax out to the Pavane instead of connecting the source directly to the Pavane via USB based on my reads but I'm definitely going to be comparing because if I can't hear any differences, I'll just stick with the USB inputs.

Any thoughts?

CJ
Hi CJ
You are right about the USB/toslink inputs. USB is inherently flawed imho. I have experimented a lot with USB/toslink connection.In the end, i2S is my preference.(not tried AES).
I had opted for i2s version over usb. Btw I got a good deal on both pavane & amber.
I have never tried a portable source with pavane. Let us know about the changes in SQ.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #265 of 1,451
I just got the SU-6 the other day and have been comparing AES and I2S connected simultaneously. If there's any difference between them, it's a trivial one, at least to these cotton-ears.

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #266 of 1,451

Any thoughts?

CJ

I could not detect any meaningful differences between the inputs when I had mine. USB works just fine and should be superior to others. Do not over-complicate it.

Apr 27, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #267 of 1,451
I would like to share about my poor experience with Metrum Acoustics, so that future buyers be aware:

I have ordered the Onyx and Ambre directly from Metrum Acoustics in the Netherlands. Communication was great - reply typically came within minutes, and the shipment was very fast - I have received the items from the Netherlands in Singapore within 3 days from the day I placed my order.

After listening to the combo for about 2 weeks, I decided that the sound isn't for me (I prefer the sound signature of Mimby, although in terms of refinement and technical finesse there is no dispute that the Onyx + Ambre is superior). So, I initiated a product return under their 30-day trial policy.

I asked Metrum Acoustics if any special instructions on the shipment is needed, and was told that no special instruction/note is needed. So, I sent the parcel using EMS. When it reaches the Netherlands, it was held at the Netherlands customs because the Netherlands Post requires the recipient to pay for the import duties and to self-collect the item from their post office. However, Metrum Acoustics is unwilling to do so. The parcel was eventually returned to Singapore after not being collected for three weeks.

When the parcel was returned back to me in Singapore, Metrum Acoustics insisted that I use DHL to send the item back, and to bear the full amount of import tax and duties at the Netherlands. They are not willing to assist with any customs paperwork for tax exemption for the returned products. I obliged and I used DHL to send the item back.

The shipment went smoothly and Metrum Acoustics confirmed that they have received the items and will process the refund shortly. On their website, it was stated that refunds will be provided within 14 working days from the day of email confirmation.

However, four weeks have gone by, and I did not receive any refund from Metrum Acoustics. I tried to reach out to them and to my horror, and they no longer reply to my email (the people whom I emailed are Maria, Anjo, and Sunder). This communication blackout is a far cry from the early days when they were trying to get my sales.

So now, with both the items and money at their end, I am left stranded and helpless.
I hope that there will not be another victim like me who fall prey to this. I have been in the Head-Fi community for quite a long time, and this is the first time I have encountered something like this.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #268 of 1,451
I would like to share about my poor experience with Metrum Acoustics, so that future buyers be aware:

I have ordered the Onyx and Ambre directly from Metrum Acoustics in the Netherlands. Communication was great - reply typically came within minutes, and the shipment was very fast - I have received the items from the Netherlands in Singapore within 3 days from the day I placed my order.

After listening to the combo for about 2 weeks, I decided that the sound isn't for me (I prefer the sound signature of Mimby, although in terms of refinement and technical finesse there is no dispute that the Onyx + Ambre is superior). So, I initiated a product return under their 30-day trial policy.

I asked Metrum Acoustics if any special instructions on the shipment is needed, and was told that no special instruction/note is needed. So, I sent the parcel using EMS. When it reaches the Netherlands, it was held at the Netherlands customs because the Netherlands Post requires the recipient to pay for the import duties and to self-collect the item from their post office. However, Metrum Acoustics is unwilling to do so. The parcel was eventually returned to Singapore after not being collected for three weeks.

When the parcel was returned back to me in Singapore, Metrum Acoustics insisted that I use DHL to send the item back, and to bear the full amount of import tax and duties at the Netherlands. They are not willing to assist with any customs paperwork for tax exemption for the returned products. I obliged and I used DHL to send the item back.

The shipment went smoothly and Metrum Acoustics confirmed that they have received the items and will process the refund shortly. On their website, it was stated that refunds will be provided within 14 working days from the day of email confirmation.

However, four weeks have gone by, and I did not receive any refund from Metrum Acoustics. I tried to reach out to them and to my horror, and they no longer reply to my email (the people whom I emailed are Maria, Anjo, and Sunder). This communication blackout is a far cry from the early days when they were trying to get my sales.

So now, with both the items and money at their end, I am left stranded and helpless.
I hope that there will not be another victim like me who fall prey to this. I have been in the Head-Fi community for quite a long time, and this is the first time I have encountered something like this.
Wow... thats surprising.. i have never faced any problems during my audition process...
Sorry

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #269 of 1,451
@uelover ... If I were in your position, I would telephone them and ask to speak to the CEO !

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #270 of 1,451
Anjo is the CEO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back