All things Metrum Acoustics
Jan 27, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #241 of 1,451
Are you sure? Because after reading metrum site, it seems only the DAC2 has fpga error correction and DAC1 doesn't mention anything clear about any use of fpga for error correction.
According to my knowledge buying a r2r dac which doesn't have good error correction mechanism not that grate because sound signature can change with the time and the temperature (since temperature can change resistance of resistor).

And also wondering if it is better to get amethyst or flint+massdrop thx aaa 789 headphone amp.

I use a Metrum Acoustics Musette and Aurix for my headphone listening. The Amethyst is well regarded, so try it and see what you think? I believe you have 30 days to return if not happy.

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #242 of 1,451
Afaik their whole current lineup is based on Transient 2 24 bit modules. The Flint is just like the Amethyst sans the headphone amp, USB input and the LPSU. The fpga business has nothing to do with correcting due to aging, it's only there to improve resolution and linearity of the ladders to get closer to 24 bits of resolution .

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #243 of 1,451
Afaik their whole current lineup is based on Transient 2 24 bit modules. The Flint is just like the Amethyst sans the headphone amp, USB input and the LPSU. The fpga business has nothing to do with correcting due to aging, it's only there to improve resolution and linearity of the ladders to get closer to 24 bits of resolution .
have you used metrum dacs for over year or two and did you notice any sound signature change with it after some years? and change of sound signature after running for few hours and dac gets warmed up?

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #244 of 1,451
have you used metrum dacs for over year or two and did you notice any sound signature change with it after some years? and change of sound signature after running for few hours and dac gets warmed up?

Human audio memory is pretty bad, you can't really rely on your impressions from last week, let alone one year. I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the module version, better ask Metrum folks, they are pretty responsive.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #245 of 1,451
I'm posting in multiple threads as it may stretch the range to those who might be able to offer some advice. I've never been a big believer in DACs, but i think i owe it to myself to get a higher end DAC. I'm not willing to go over £2200 and the less money i spend the better. I've been looking at multiple dacs and i'm having a hard time deciding what to get. I've looked at the Schiit Gungnir multibit, i've pretty much ruled out the V850, but i've also considered the Onyx. In an ideal world, i'd be able to audition them all but since i can't i will have to go by user reviews. To those who have owned a Gungnir multibit and have jumped to a higher level entry Metrum dac like the Onyx, would you say there was a significant improvement and was the jump worth the difference in price? I'm still getting lost in this whole R2R NOS ordeal that everyone continues to praise, but i feel like it may be worth trying out.

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #246 of 1,451
Metrum DACs have no oversampling digital filters in them. They do have a special sound to them. It can be pleasing or not, personal preference thing. I'd say it makes little sense to compare them to DACs that use oversampling digital filers, e.g. the Gungnir. They sound very different while both being multi-bit, R2R, whatever. You'd need to hear and decide for yourself. I'd say that an oversampling DAC is a safer choice if bought unheard. If, however, you prefer softer more comfortable/romantic sound and have other bright gear downstream than a Metrum DAC may serve you well.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #247 of 1,451
Similar situation here in that I can't audition gear at the end of the world and in particular when it comes to dacs. So I just have to buy it and keep it or sell it on. Had quite a few dacs and upgraded from Octave to Hex which kept me satisfied for a while but eventually found the Hex too 'unengaging' and after some online research went with a Border Patrol dac. Still switching between Hex and Border Patrol only to confirm that I prefer the latter.
Have to add that I don't use EQ with all my headphones and so a NOS dac is exactly what I am looking for.
I can only recommend NOS dacs when you are after 'analog' sound without being overly warm or lacking resolution.

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #248 of 1,451
I could not auction the Jade and I had a Gumby. I was actually going to buy a Spring, since I had heard it and liked it very much but I got "offered" a Jade (slightly) cheaper than a Onyx and it had 14days satisfaction return so I tried and just liked it, even more than the Spring and so i have it, love it and sold the Gumby.

Just my 2 cents, your taste/experience might be different.

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #249 of 1,451
Actually the Flint uses the Transient 1 modules, and all other use the Transient 2. You can upgrade the Flint to the 2, but they are not stock.

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #250 of 1,451
I could not auction the Jade and I had a Gumby. I was actually going to buy a Spring, since I had heard it and liked it very much but I got "offered" a Jade (slightly) cheaper than a Onyx and it had 14days satisfaction return so I tried and just liked it, even more than the Spring and so i have it, love it and sold the Gumby.

What version was the Gumby, A1 or A2? (I don't know if you are aware of the presumed silent upgrade, done in the fall of 2017 iirc, to the never officially recognized Gumby A2 - more neutral and slightly more detailed than the warmer A1, people say)

Could you describe the differences between Jade and Gumby? I'm especially interested in the upper treble extension and the soundstage width (and, somewhat less important, the "tactility" of the sound). Please also mention if your comparison was done using the unbalanced or the balanced outputs. Thanks!

P.S. If we are at that, a few words on Jade vs. Spring (level 3?) would be more than welcome too...

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #252 of 1,451
Good to know, thanks. I am surprised they are still making them just for the Flint. Perhaps they had a surplus stock from earlier models?
I am not sure, but I am most likely going to buy the Flint, with the upgraded chips. I will report back, after I get it.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #253 of 1,451
In case anyone's looking for a DDC-based solution for using the RJ45-based Metrum I2S module (as an alternative to using the Ambre), I've gotten confirmation that the Singxer SU-6's I2S RJ45 output is pin-compatible. If morbid curiosity gets the better of me and I end up getting one, I'll post an update.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #254 of 1,451
In case anyone's looking for a DDC-based solution for using the RJ45-based Metrum I2S module (as an alternative to using the Ambre), I've gotten confirmation that the Singxer SU-6's I2S RJ45 output is pin-compatible. If morbid curiosity gets the better of me and I end up getting one, I'll post an update.
Hey
The femto clocks used in amber and su6 have the same frequency.
Btw have you tried picoreplayer or dietpi on amber.
If no, then you should try asap.
I have changed the microsd card on amber; installed picoreplayer and logitech media server in my iMac.
Now i am no longer tied to roon.
I can use amber with qobuz, deezer, spotify, airplay, dlna, tidal, use with roon via squeezelite etc.
The sound quality for me is
Picoreplayer>stock ropieee>dietpi.
With stock firmware in amber the sound is more rounded or warm... with pcp its more dense, spacious and trebles are extended.
All this is with stock streaming cable.
I have SOTM dCBL cat7 cables, isocat6 SE module and sNH-10G audio switch in my mind for future upgrade.

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #255 of 1,451
Cool, it's good to know that the Ambre works out with some of these alternative packages. From your description, I may give Picoreplayer a try.

From a sheer sound quality standpoint, I prefer the Ambre over the SU-1 KTE, which was my main digital solution before the Ambre. Not a huge difference, but just enough of one to justify keeping the Ambre for serious listening. Unfortunately, I've felt compelled to keep the SU-1 around so I can continue to listen to stuff direct from the PC for movies, gaming, etc. Over the long term though, it's proved to be slightly bothersome having to switch back and forth between inputs on the DAC.

If the SU-6 proves to function correctly through the Metrum I2S module and does offer a noticeable improvement over the SU1 KTE, I think that's the route I'll take (next :) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back