All the entry level Grado's the same, except the 325's
May 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
Im thinking of getting a pair of Grado's, and i had a fellow Head-Fier tell me that all the Grado's have similar sound and that the cables were the only real difference. Im looking for a pair of Grado's to mod, and so i looked at their website and all the entry level Grado's are the same! The SR60,SR80, SR125, and SR225's have all the same spec's. What do you guys think of this?

May 8, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 16
The specs are the same but they sound different. Each succeeding one is a little bit more refined. The differences are pretty subtle though, especially if you're not using good equipment 

I would probably avoid the SR-125 as me and others found it too bright. I say go for either the SR60's to get a taste or splurge on the SR225's. A lot of people consider the 225's to the best value in the line up, and I liked then quite a bit when I had them. But I think it depends on what equipment you have now and you're planning to get in the future. If it's strictly for portable use then just stick with SR60's

May 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 16
I have 225's and I Love them, I believe I have 350 hrs burn in time with and they are sounding better and better to My ear's. If Your going to mod them try getting a used pr to work with instead of the $200. You'll pay brand new. That's Your call though, good luck and let Us know how they turned out.

May 8, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
I have 225's and I Love them, I believe I have 350 hrs burn in time with and they are sounding better and better to My ear's. If Your going to mod them try getting a used pr to work with instead of the $200. You'll pay brand new. That's Your call though, good luck and let Us know how they turned out.

I of course was going to go used
biggrin.gif
, do you think its cool/worth it to mod them up? Cable, headband, pads, possibly different cups?

May 8, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I of course was going to go used
biggrin.gif
, do you think its cool/worth it to mod them up? Cable, headband, pads, possibly different cups?

I don't think it's "cool" to mod headphones up.  However, I do think there is a lot of value in modding headphones - especially, the Grados.  Going to wooden cups will usually improve the bass quite a bit.  Opening up some of the vent holes (with a pen) on the rear of the drivers will also generate a bit more bass.  Headbands are usually just for cosmetic and comfort reasons - not sound.  Pads, depending on which you choose, can aid in the comfort and may also improve or compromise the sound - depending on which direction you go.

May 8, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 16
I have the 225i's, and at first I thought they were too bright. But after tons of hours on them, the bass has leveled out and the brightness has almost completely faded. Easily my favorite headphones, much more clarity than ATH AD-700s

May 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 16
It's probably just the drivers that are the same.  I'm guessing the differences mainly lie in the housings...meaning, if you're good enough at modding, you can change the sound to be just like a higher up model if you buy a cheaper one.

May 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
I don't think it's "cool" to mod headphones up.  However, I do think there is a lot of value in modding headphones - especially, the Grados.  Going to wooden cups will usually improve the bass quite a bit.  Opening up some of the vent holes (with a pen) on the rear of the drivers will also generate a bit more bass.  Headbands are usually just for cosmetic and comfort reasons - not sound.  Pads, depending on which you choose, can aid in the comfort and may also improve or compromise the sound - depending on which direction you go.

Me either, but it looks 10x cooler than the stock Grado's. Im not a bass head, but i think ill give them a try and ill see if i like them. 

May 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Im thinking of getting a pair of Grado's, and i had a fellow Head-Fier tell me that all the Grado's have similar sound and that the cables were the only real difference. Im looking for a pair of Grado's to mod, and so i looked at their website and all the entry level Grado's are the same! The SR60,SR80, SR125, and SR225's have all the same spec's. What do you guys think of this?

If your looking for a pair of Grado's to mod get the SR60 and read through the, SR60-mod thread. There are definitely differences between the lower Grado's plastic to plastic but the whole purpose of modding is to improve your headphones sound. One thing you see reading  various threads is the concept of diminishing returns. What you have to spend to get smaller and smaller improvements.

The mods in that SR60 thread are all about improving your head phones SQ and adding a new dimension to the hobby.

Pick up an SR60 to mod and stop on by.

May 8, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
If your looking for a pair of Grado's to mod get the SR60 and read through the, SR60-mod thread. There are definitely differences between the lower Grado's plastic to plastic but the whole purpose of modding is to improve your headphones sound. One thing you see reading  various threads is the concept of diminishing returns. What you have to spend to get smaller and smaller improvements.

The mods in that SR60 thread are all about improving your head phones SQ and adding a new dimension to the hobby.

Pick up an SR60 to mod and stop on by.

I saw that, i cant believe its 249 pages! With me not being a bass head, should i do all these mods?

May 8, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
I saw that, i cant believe its 249 pages! With me not being a bass head, should i do all these mods?

The headphones will only produce the bass that you put through them with the music you listen to.  If you're not a bass head, you'll still benefit by performing the modifications because they will "balance" out the sound.  I'm not a bass head, either (think: Beats), but the bass that does get enhanced by the modifications really makes the music I listen to much more enjoyable.  Your head won't pound with bass - well, unless you want to listen to some hip-hop; however, you'll be able to appreciate the changes that get applied from a few bucks of modifications.

May 9, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

The headphones will only produce the bass that you put through them with the music you listen to.  If you're not a bass head, you'll still benefit by performing the modifications because they will "balance" out the sound.  I'm not a bass head, either (think: Beats), but the bass that does get enhanced by the modifications really makes the music I listen to much more enjoyable.  Your head won't pound with bass - well, unless you want to listen to some hip-hop; however, you'll be able to appreciate the changes that get applied from a few bucks of modifications.

What wje said, the mods are not about turning Grado's into bass monsters. They are about improving the overall sound and maximizing the potential of the Grado driver. poking holes in the felt around the driver improves the bass but it doesnt turn them into bass canons. The bigger improvements come with changing the enviroment of the driver. Replace the plastic cup with a wood one. Replace the plastic driver housing with a wood one. Here is my current work in progress.

May 9, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 16
I have a passionate hate for anything below the 325is, and anything in the 1000 line* except for the HP1000 which i have not herd*
325is-RS series is where its at brah.my ear sex cannons.

May 9, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 16
Grados, from the SR60 to the RS-1 definitely have a "house sound", meaning to a headphone person... you could put them on and know right away it's a Grado because of the sound signature. With that said, the difference from an SR60 to an SR125 will not be anywhere near as noticeable than going from an SR80 to an RS-1.

Liking it to the car world, it's kind of like going from a C-Class to an E-Class. It's better, but in a sublte way, so subtle in some ways that most car people wouldn't justify the price or even notice much of a difference, but gearheads would. When one goes from a C-class to a Maybach though, you would immediately notice a difference no matter who you are. Same idea, if you know anything about cars. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back