Alien Ears vs 1964 Ears
Feb 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Zeusy82

New Head-Fier
Hi all, what an awesome forum this is. So much knowledge around. 
Anyway, I'm in the market for some custom iems and have been researching all over the Internet. My budget has rounded it down to Alien Ears and 1964 Ears. Being that I've never used custom iems before, I'm not sure whether I want triples or quads. I'll be using them for live monitoring, I'm a drummer in a band. I quite often lock in with the rhythm guitarist so I'm not after something that is all bass. Will quads really make a difference? I do listen to alot of music on my iPhone aswell and love quality sound (spent many years working in car audio building sq and spl systems). 
So which brand is better? I have read alot about poor customer service at AE and being that I live in Australia, if I have an issue with fit or something, I need to be able to sort it ASAP as postage times and costs will slow the process down heaps. If the customer service at 1964 is only slightly better but their iems are alot worse sq then I'll still go alien but, ATM, I'm leaning toward 1964 and a 200 page appreciation thread is leaning me that way even more

I do apologise if this has already been addressed, I tried searching but found no exact answer. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
Hi all, what an awesome forum this is. So much knowledge around. 
Anyway, I'm in the market for some custom iems and have been researching all over the Internet. My budget has rounded it down to Alien Ears and 1964 Ears. Being that I've never used custom iems before, I'm not sure whether I want triples or quads. I'll be using them for live monitoring, I'm a drummer in a band. I quite often lock in with the rhythm guitarist so I'm not after something that is all bass. Will quads really make a difference? I do listen to alot of music on my iPhone aswell and love quality sound (spent many years working in car audio building sq and spl systems). 
So which brand is better? I have read alot about poor customer service at AE and being that I live in Australia, if I have an issue with fit or something, I need to be able to sort it ASAP as postage times and costs will slow the process down heaps. If the customer service at 1964 is only slightly better but their iems are alot worse sq then I'll still go alien but, ATM, I'm leaning toward 1964 and a 200 page appreciation thread is leaning me that way even more

I do apologise if this has already been addressed, I tried searching but found no exact answer. 

1964 Ears is the choice, hands down. They make customs that are well regarded on head-fi and they have excellent customer service. Don't discount the customer service, either, it's huge with custom iems. Avoid companies that let people down with terrible customer service as they make unreliable products as well.

That's your exact answer.

As for what to go with, email 1964, they will get back to you soon and steer you the right way.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 15
Definitely 1964 Ears. If I hadn't of gone the path of reshelling a pair of TF10s, I would have gotten the 1964-T's. However, the cost is substantially higher than what is stated on their site due to shipping and impressions (and I swear, impressions are so expensive in Sydney, Australia) but I presume you already knew that. From what I've heard, the 1964-Q just has more bass.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 15
I will definitely disagree, 100%. Today i called both companies and Alien Ears gave incredible customer service. Each question was answered and he also connected with me on a personal level. I decided to call 1964 ears after just to see what they could offer. The man could finish an answer without saying "uhm" 4 to 5 times. He didn't try to make a sale, there was no effort or help. He was very short and when i said I'll be looking around some more he didn't try to persuade me to go with his company. I'm sorry, but when it comes to service? Alien Ears definitely has them beat. As well as price wise.    

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 15
  I will definitely disagree, 100%. Today i called both companies and Alien Ears gave incredible customer service. Each question was answered and he also connected with me on a personal level. I decided to call 1964 ears after just to see what they could offer. The man could finish an answer without saying "uhm" 4 to 5 times. He didn't try to make a sale, there was no effort or help. He was very short and when i said I'll be looking around some more he didn't try to persuade me to go with his company. I'm sorry, but when it comes to service? Alien Ears definitely has them beat. As well as price wise.    

So he didn't try to force his product down your throat = bad customer service? I don't get it. It sounded to me as if he respected you as potential customer seeking information instead of just trying to make a sale. I've even heard stories of 1964 EARS telling customers that some of their earphones were not for the person after buyer described the sound signature he or she was looking for. Actually, they did that for me too. Why sell a person anything if you know off the back he won't be happy with your product? 1964 EARS is a great company to do business with. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 15
This is how the top two models of the Alien Ears lineup, the G12 and the G16, measure:

If you're questioning the measurement methodology, it really doesn't matter how they're measured; these graphs were not made with standard equipment, but actually quite reliable, as the source has made many measurements of customs before, and none have measured so terribly. These are bar none the worst-looking sets of measurements I've ever seen ---- nasty channel imbalance, massive notches everywhere, pointing to really clueless crossover design and poor QC --- these are way worse than any Heir Audio or EarSonics notch around!

And don't tell me that they're tuned "for the stage" and stage requirements are different. These are just flat out horrible.

Comparatively, this is how the 4.A looks like on the same measurement rig:

It exhibits the 3.8 kHz notch that has been well-documented on head-fi, but seriously, look at the G12 and G16!!!!! It's one thing to drop out the upper midrange to lessen vocal harmonics and warm up vocals like the 4.A does, it's another thing to basically take out the entire midrange!

I don't usually like to put companies on blast like this, but Alien Ears is terrible. Their inconsistent and lackadaisical customer service has been well-documented in years past, by many well-regarded members of the forum; these measurements show that their flagship monitors are possibly some of the most horribly-performing monitors around --- there's no way around that statement. You might as well use Apple earbuds.

And for good measure, here's how the ER4S (stock and reshelled) measure on the same rig:

I rest my case.

(All measurements were taken from the blog of very prominent and prolific Japanese reviewer 84, aka 90percentPA)

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 15
Oct 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 15

1 post.  Every time Alien Ears is brought up in a thread a new defender or two springs up to explain how great they are.  Invariably these are people who have never (or barely) posted before.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 15
  OP - you're in Aussie??

Have you looked in to "Unique Melody" as an option?? http://www.uniquemelody.co

Do not do this.  UM Global will be happy to answer your questions and take your money.  Once they've done that expect ZERO/CERO/NADA/NONE customer service.  They won't update the status of your order, they have no idea what's going on in the China labs and you'll wait an enormous, unreasonable amount of time for your monitors to arrive.  Then if you need a refit, good luck!

Never underestimate the value of customer service when it comes to CIEMs.  Lesson learned, I won't be using UM again.

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 15
^^^ WOW!! pretty harsh comments there - you must have had a terrible experience
frown.gif

I just saw the OP was from OZ, so suggested UM...I have Zero customer service experience with them.

I got my impressions done and bought my UERM's through the Rep here in NZ and had a fantastic experience all round.

OP - apologies for pushing you in the wrong direction. Good luck with the search 
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 15
1 post.  Every time Alien Ears is brought up in a thread a new defender or two springs up to explain how great they are.  Invariably these are people who have never (or barely) posted before.

It's probably someone from alien ears.

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 15
more than likely...yes!

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 15
Hi all you in ear mad men and women

I have always been a wedge type person, but the new band uses only IEMs.  So, I needed something that was within my budget and several of my fellow musicians own a pair of Alien Ears and gave me some tips.  Well modern times have caught up to me and as all of you know we have to start somewhere.  So, to make a long story somewhat short, I decided to dive into the world of IEM's and do some research.  

After looking at all the different manufactures I decided to purchase IEM's from Alien Ears.  1.) I needed something that was not expensive and 2.) that is reliable.  3.) was recommended by band members.  I purchased them filling out the required information, which was simple enough, and read the documentation about the process, which was clear and detailed anyone could understand.  

I ordered them on Jan. 30, 2014 and I expected a 6 to 8 week wait time, but to my shock, they arrived a week earlier than projected.  Yeah, I used them on the day I received them.  As always it takes a little getting used to, you know the feel of the material in your ears, the mic positioning on the amp and tweaking all the band members sound in your channel and etc..  

I'm not going to go into detail, about the quality, the specifications on frequencies, because everyone hears something different.  I had an audiologist take the molds at thirty dollar charge, which was cheaper than I expected.  After receiving the IEMs the fit was perfect, better than expected.  This being my first pair of IEMs I have no honest comparison of how practical and efficient the sound produced in my head is compared to the very high dollar competitors.  I can hear the highs, the bass thumping and the drums kicking butt.  I can only honestly say, IEMs should have been developed decades ago, yea I know technology wasn't there yet, but I don't have feed back problems or the over whelming lead vocalist in my monitor.  I like the Alien Ears monitoring set I have.

I ordered the triple drive IEMs Alien Ears have to offer, with a few added bells and whistles, added texture, engraving, but not over the top elite decorations, just something that would serve the purpose intended for the band requirements.  

I was very surprised to receive the IEMs so quick.  I never call a manufacture unless the shipping date has passed, they have enough to do without someone constantly calling and asking 'when is it going to ship,' or some other question that will delay shipping of my or another individuals IEMs.  Let them do their job, I guess I should say.  I've read all the negative comments and I have come to the conclusion, that I'm a lucky man.  I never have any major issues with any manufactures that would drive me to warn others of a product that one person may have had an unlucky day with.  If the product was so bad, they would have gone out of business a long time ago or will go out of business eventually.  

Well the bottom line is, if you have money and are really particular about having the 'so called best' in town.  Then, go for it, but if you need a cost effective and reliable IEMs the Alien Ears work for me.  I was updated on all and any status changes on the order and the shipping was perfect.  The Alien Ears case might be a little too soft for my tastes, but a quick trip to a gun store and a six dollar pistol case will keep my IEMs safe and protect from any damage. 

If I have any difficulties with my Alien Ears I will be updating this page, but until then 'Music is life long experience, so have fun with it.'

Hope everything goes your way today.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #15 of 15
Hi

I posted an earlier review/opinion on this forum about Alien Ears and it got deleted.  Well, I have in no way been a promoter or representative of Alien Ears.  This is a America, before deleting a post I would suggest you ask you new member if he is a Alien Ear paid promoter and yes I read your lawyer in raged Terms and Service crap.  Alien Ears got some bad reviews and my experience was great.  All I wanted to do was post a deserving recommendation concerning their product.  

I ordered mine and like them, I don't take the product to an Oscilloscope and measure them for some sort of Godly like hearing power to make a display of 'look at want I dun.'  I only want a product that will give me what I want, a good price, the hearing experience for a musician, and something that will work for a few years, at least.  

These Head-Fi guys are full of themselves.  They themselves are probably paid and owned by other IEMs manufactures.

If you would like to see my last post that Head-Fi deleted message me, because the commies are monitoring freedom of speech.  

Oh, yea, this will probably get deleted also.

I'm an ex-Vet, so delete that.  Oh, and if you want to see my credentials email me here in Texas.  I'll tell you all about my tour and  DD-214 with Honorable Discharge. 

I waisted to much of my time on this forum already, sad.

Hope everything goes your way today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back