Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Apr 17, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #2,761 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noobiiee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(crying) It better gives me some good eargasm then
smily_headphones1.gif
Btw any 1 see the need of a grado case. I'm thinking about cutting the original foam smaller then put it in a metal box. Make a much cooler case than the Grado case.

Go for it. I got my case for £13 delivered and didn't want to ruin the foam/box because I'll probably sell these at some point in the future when I move up the line (i.e when I can afford a PS1000 :p )

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #2,762 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you be more specific please?

I bought a pair of grado bowl pads from ebay, then I used electrical tape and covered the entire outside edge of the bowls. Like this:

HPIM2373.jpg

With this, the high treble is a little more sparkle, but that peak in some mid-highs from some female voices were tamed out. Maybe it works for you too.

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #2,763 of 3,117
Quote:

Go for it. I got my case for £13 delivered and didn't want to ruin the foam/box because I'll probably sell these at some point in the future when I move up the line (i.e when I can afford a PS1000 :p )

Where did you get yours? The cheapest I found is 20 quids + shipping. It's funny how quickly I decided to spend nearly 400 quids on headphones and an amp but hesitate to spend another 20 on a case. Hmmm... now I understand the 'sorry about your wallet' thingy
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #2,764 of 3,117
Quote:

Where did you get yours? The cheapest I found is 20 quids + shipping. It's funny how quickly I decided to spend nearly 400 quids on headphones and an amp but hesitate to spend another 20 on a case. Hmmm... now I understand the 'sorry about your wallet' thingy
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #2,765 of 3,117
ebay, from thailand. It's the original vilaibhan one. Afaik grado copied/commissioned them to make official grado ones after.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #2,766 of 3,117
My tracking info changed 4 hours earlier. Released from customs with charges.
frown.gif
Ah well... at least they're one step closer to my door.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #2,767 of 3,117
Bid farewell to MS1i and welcomed SR80i. Better high ceiling, brighter sound, although it's kinda funny how I sense less bass. Well the new lady is not burned-in yet, let's see how she behaves after a while.

Why did I choose SR80i instead? Because I need Grado sound to complement my collection, and the MS1i is just too versatile and all-rounder. I need a more... how do I put this... wild, Grado.

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #2,768 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bid farewell to MS1i and welcomed SR80i. Better high ceiling, brighter sound, although it's kinda funny how I sense less bass. Well the new lady is not burned-in yet, let's see how she behaves after a while.

Why did I choose SR80i instead? Because I need Grado sound to complement my collection, and the MS1i is just too versatile and all-rounder. I need a more... how do I put this... wild, Grado.

sr 80i is my favouite grado/allesandro at the moment.. it have better bass impact than sr60i,, warmer treble but not as warm n bassy as ms1i does.. sr80i has more balance i think..
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #2,769 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by santsant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sr 80i is my favouite grado/allesandro at the moment.. it have better bass impact than sr60i,, warmer treble but not as warm n bassy as ms1i does.. sr80i has more balance i think..
wink.gif

I have to agree. First I thought SR80i'd give me more bass just how I read about it. But after 100 hour burn-in, my SR80i's bass (even after Basshead Mod) is still nowhere near MS1i.
But SR80i's guitar and instruments effects definitely deliver more impact. Rock and metal never sounded this energizing.

May 18, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #2,771 of 3,117
Picked up a pair of MS1i's a few days ago - these are really an awesome value. Having come from the SR325is, their balance and engaging tonality was a welcome change. Feeding them out of the Nuforce uDAC's headphone out, a simple and enjoyable mid-fi solution if i'm not in a critical listening mood.

May 21, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #2,774 of 3,117

Quote:
I got my MS1i's in the mail today. They sound pretty good but on some songs the left side seems a little louder with vocals. Kinda annoying. Is that something that would get fixed with burn in?

If you want to have stereo one side have to play different, it is a common method. The most common methods for strereo are to play two different loudness levels or timeshifted records. If both play equal you will have mono. But often they mix instruments to different channels, this is not stereo but methal deficiency destroying stereo. But normaly the voice of the vocalist have to be equal to both phones.
I had the same problem with my grados, i asked grado and they said that it is not normal and i send the phones back. But before you do this check with a soundgenerator to exclude that it is the song. Proof with a amplifier and change the channels by switching chinch to exclude differences in your system. I have only a german link for a freeware soundgenerator http://www.freeware.de/software/signalgenerator_10099.html
I hope for you your headphones works propely. If one side do not play vocals propely you will lose transparency and/or stereo effect in the vocals.

Something others: do anyone know if the earpad of the sennheiser hd 25 fits to the ms1. http://cgi.ebay.com/HD25-series-Sennheiser-ear-pad-pair-Ohrpolster-HD-25-/330434473984?cmd=ViewItem&pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item4cef6df000

May 21, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #2,775 of 3,117

Quote:
I got my MS1i's in the mail today. They sound pretty good but on some songs the left side seems a little louder with vocals. Kinda annoying. Is that something that would get fixed with burn in?

If both phones would sound equaly you would have mono. Usually for stereo two methods are used. Different loudness level or timeshift. But some producers also mix instruments only to one channel, this is not stereo but mental deficiency destroying stereo.
I had the same problem with my grados and i asked grado if this is normal, they said that the headphones don't work properly and I send the headphones back and ordered the MS1i (now i'm waiting). You have also exclude this sound is not specific for the song. But to be shure the headphones don't work proberly i would use a soundgenerator and proof with an amplifier by changing the channels by switching chinch to exclude errors of your system.  I have only a german link for a soundgenerator.

http://www.freeware.de/software/signalgenerator_10099.html

I hope my MS1i will not do that because lower level of vocals decrease the transparency and destroy stereo effect in the vocals. But some manufacturer works with such cheap tricks distributing different frequencies to the right and left channel to produce an impression of sound. In this thread two people reported about this problem. If this will be the case for my MS1i, grado will die for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back