Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Apr 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #2,746 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure the lack of bass is not related to your source? The pizza box just arrived and fresh from the box I can feel enough bass, tested with Classical, Rock, Hip Hop, Techno.

I usually demand certain amount of bass (I listen to Hip Hop a lot) and was skeptical about MS1i because of Grado's tendency to be bright and bass hesitant. I was thinking to use MS1i exclusively for Rock. However, it does not sound harsh or extraordinarily bright at all! I mean, I was ready with Foo Fighters and was expecting a little more sting to my ears, but it was... warm! I wonder if it's just me or did they send me the wrong pair? :S

How it was connected:
Flac on Foobar --> Xiangsheng DAC01A --> Pioneer A201 Int amp --> MS1i

Other cans I have: Portapro, ATH-ESW10, ATH-m40fs, Sony EX70

PS: I have a Portapro, I should be able to sense any lack of bass on other cans.

Oh the bass is great for me. The thing is that I was using my ms1's with comfies (the default ones) and the sound was great with those, but just for curiosity I bought the bowl pads. At first with the bowls the bass was a little weak, but with the tape mod that problem was fixed and the treble is more sparkle too
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #2,747 of 3,117
Yes, the bowl pads make a big difference with the MS-1(i)'s. Definitely recommended, as are a pair of yellow reverse quarter-modded Sennheiser HD414 pads. That should improve the bass a bit, while still allowing the high-end to sparkle.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #2,748 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the bowl pads make a big difference with the MS-1(i)'s. Definitely recommended, as are a pair of yellow reverse quarter-modded Sennheiser HD414 pads. That should improve the bass a bit, while still allowing the high-end to sparkle.
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I'm new to Grado. How to quarter-mod Sennheiser HD414 pads? I could not find any HD414 pads, strange. Come on I'm currently in China, aren't those made in this country? But I saw KOSS UR5 pads, it's supposed to fit Sennheiser HD414, and it's black. Will that work?

Darn the bowl pads are not cheap! Is it worth the price? It's tagged at about US$20 here.

One more thing, when I take off one of the pad, I notice that the inside part (hidden behind the pads) is not pretty, at all. Is this common?!?!? Pics attached:
IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

Please let me know if you can't see the images (four posted), I can't check if the images are on or not (due to censorship and stuffs... don't ask).

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #2,749 of 3,117
Yes, the fraying is VERY common. Most Grados/Alessandros look like that. As far as the HD414 mod's go, just do a quick search here. There will be plenty of info. available. You can order HD414 pads on eBay for approx. $10 a pair, sometimes with free shipping.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #2,750 of 3,117
If you are very careful with a cigarette lighter you can take care of the frayed threads, but I wouldn't worry about it enough to bother with it personally.

Also, HD414 pads are available for $4.50 here, but I don't know how much international shipping charges would be, and they make it too expensive to be worth it.

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #2,751 of 3,117
Has any1 order Alessandro to UK? How long do the UK customs ppl take to process yours? Mine is at customs since the 14th and still has not been released yet
frown.gif
I can't wait anymore!!!! Ahhhhhh. I don't mind paying tax, just give me the screwing headphones!!

I'm very sorry guys, but got no where else to take out my anger. All my friends have been dissing me for spending so much money on headphones
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #2,752 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the fraying is VERY common. Most Grados/Alessandros look like that. As far as the HD414 mod's go, just do a quick search here. There will be plenty of info. available. You can order HD414 pads on eBay for approx. $10 a pair, sometimes with free shipping.

Thanks, I should worry less then. I am currently in China for work, so the ebay link is not an option for me (unless they ship to Beijing for free, LOL!). Nvm, I will just get the Bowl pads then, just one quick question: is it worth its $20 price?

Also it seems like my head is just too big for the phone to sit comfortably for more than an hour. Will the Bowl pads help?

About my MS1i:
24 hours burning, still not impressed. Not really impressed. Yes it's a very versatile phone, ample tight bass, warm and detailed, but 184 pages of exaggerated appreciations kinda made me expect more.

For those who're still undecided, or considering, here's my advice: take all the enthusiasm in this thread with a grain of salt, it's a fans' thread after all. The MS1i is a nice pair of phones for $100, but just... do yourself a favor.

I do believe, however, that if you're upgrading from your crappy stock phones, and if you're going to buy just one pair and not venturing to other flavors (simply put this's going to be your first and last purchase), Alessandro MS1i is highly recommended. It's a very versatile phone for all use.

Peace.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #2,755 of 3,117
Bowls provide a tighter and better layered bass for those genres.

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #2,756 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noobiiee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has any1 order Alessandro to UK? How long do the UK customs ppl take to process yours? Mine is at customs since the 14th and still has not been released yet
frown.gif
I can't wait anymore!!!! Ahhhhhh. I don't mind paying tax, just give me the screwing headphones!!

I'm very sorry guys, but got no where else to take out my anger. All my friends have been dissing me for spending so much money on headphones
frown.gif

I got mine 2 years ago but I remember it took around 10 days to receive royal fail notice for customs..

Apr 17, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #2,757 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noobiiee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

frown.gif

1 week+, mine was around 2 weeks in customs. chill
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #2,758 of 3,117
(crying) It better gives me some good eargasm then
smily_headphones1.gif
Btw any 1 see the need of a grado case. I'm thinking about cutting the original foam smaller then put it in a metal box. Make a much cooler case than the Grado case.

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #2,759 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorbell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my MS1i's in the mail today. They sound pretty good but on some songs the left side seems a little louder with vocals. Kinda annoying. Is that something that would get fixed with burn in?

Using bowl pads with tape mod fixed that problem for me :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back