Apr 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #2,733 of 3,117
Edit: I'm done
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #2,737 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry too much about burn-in; just enjoy the music
smily_headphones1.gif

yes that's right, my seller said MS1i need 200 hours to perform best, but that's not barrier me to listen it well, even straight after out of box
biggrin.gif
(out of box it's already sound balance and nice
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #2,738 of 3,117
i find MS1i a bit bright when using bowls.. i more love the SQ on comfy pads and more comfortable than the bowls

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #2,739 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by heishiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find MS1i a bit bright when using bowls.. i more love the SQ on comfy pads and more comfortable than the bowls

x2

with comfies, it just sound more neutral and more comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: a little bit better with standar HD414 pad
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #2,740 of 3,117
I received my MS-1i's yesterday and couldn't be happier. I already ordered the 414 pads, and am thinking about getting the bowl pads too. Shipping from TTVJ or Turntablelab to the Netherlands is insanely expensive though (cheapest method is ~$35), so I'm looking for an alternative.

I've found the Grado carry case on HifiHeadphones. Could someone tell me if these are the L-cushion / bowl pads:

Grado Replacement Ear Pads SR225i/SR325i/RS1i/RS2i HiFi Headphones ?

Thanks very much!

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #2,741 of 3,117
I listen to quarter modded HD414s usually with a 3db bass boost via a Electriq-Q EQ that works with Foobar 2k. It barely colours the sound and adds a little more punch to the low end. When I go back to comfys I think the sound is a little more balanced but 'soft around the edges' and separation a little mushed compared to the HD414s. Different strokes.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #2,742 of 3,117
after try reverse mod HD414 + adjust the headband, it just so comfortable to me
biggrin.gif

I think people that say this cans have awful comfort, they just never adjust the headband...

and I'm just curious, after I adjust the headband, is it will become narrow again naturally after couple days?

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #2,743 of 3,117
I bought a pair of bowl pads for my MS1's. First impressions: more detailed sound but no bass... so I did the tape mod with the bowls and now there is a solid bass with very detailed sound. They are perfect to me now (and the 2-3khz peak were tamed out with this mod). Recommended indeed!

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #2,744 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerberos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a pair of bowl pads for my MS1's. First impressions: more detailed sound but no bass... so I did the tape mod with the bowls and now there is a solid bass with very detailed sound. They are perfect to me now (and the 2-3khz peak were tamed out with this mod). Recommended indeed!

Are you sure the lack of bass is not related to your source? The pizza box just arrived and fresh from the box I can feel enough bass, tested with Classical, Rock, Hip Hop, Techno.

I usually demand certain amount of bass (I listen to Hip Hop a lot) and was skeptical about MS1i because of Grado's tendency to be bright and bass hesitant. I was thinking to use MS1i exclusively for Rock. However, it does not sound harsh or extraordinarily bright at all! I mean, I was ready with Foo Fighters and was expecting a little more sting to my ears, but it was... warm! I wonder if it's just me or did they send me the wrong pair? :S

How it was connected:
Flac on Foobar --> Xiangsheng DAC01A --> Pioneer A201 Int amp --> MS1i

Other cans I have: Portapro, ATH-ESW10, ATH-m40fs, Sony EX70

PS: I have a Portapro, I should be able to sense any lack of bass on other cans.

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #2,745 of 3,117
when fresh out of box I also hear the warm sound, but after burn-in you will get the brighter sound indeed. (as what I know, still not as bright as SR series)

and I guess, pad that you used are the comfies right? try reverse mod hd 414 pad or bowl pad for brighter sound sig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back