Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Apr 13, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #1,261 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekbanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still waiting for mine
frown.gif

Of course I already received my 414 pads, and I ordered them two days later!
The suspense is killing me....

I hope that your luck will be much like mine! I received my 414s the DAY before I got the phones!!

*fingers crossed*

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #1,262 of 3,117
I am ready to dig into the Grado/ Alessandro range. I have listened to the entire Prestige Series from Grado Labs, and really like the energy they have to offer. Could someone please elaborate about where the MS-1 would fit into the Grado range soundwise?

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #1,263 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am ready to dig into the Grado/ Alessandro range. I have previewed the entire Prestige Series from Grado Labs, and really like the energy they have to offer. Could someone please elaborate about where the MS-1 would fit into the Grado range soundwise?

Best guess would be the MS-1 is closest to the sound of a plastic RS-2. And the MS2i would be like an aluminum RS-2.

Oops....sorry. As far as plastic models, probably the SR-225 would be the closest to MS-1.

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #1,264 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best guess would be the MS-1 is closest to the sound of a plastic RS-2. And the MS2i would be like an aluminum RS-2.

Oops....sorry. As far as plastic models, probably the SR-225 would be the closest to MS-1.

Interesting. The RS-2 was part of the line-up as well when I listened to the Prestige Series. No surprise I prefered the midrange refinement of the RS-2 to any of the SR's.

If the MS-1 sounds like the SR-225 it would be well worth the expense. Could the MS-1 really compete with a Grado priced a few times higher?

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #1,265 of 3,117
Quote:

Interesting. The RS-2 was part of the line-up as well when I listened to the Prestige Series. No surprise I prefered the midrange refinement of the RS-2 to any of the SR's.

If the MS-1 sounds like the SR-225 it would be well worth the expense. Could the MS-1 really compete with a Grado priced a few times higher?

My understanding is the MS-1 is actually closer in sonic signature to the RS-2 than the SR-225, but I tossed the SR-225 in there since it's in the SR rather than RS series. As far as competing with cans a few notches higher than MS-1, some folks feel that the MS-1 is fairly close to SR-225 in SQ....but then again; some don't. I dunno; haven't heard the SR-225.

Apr 14, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #1,266 of 3,117
i just pulled the trigger and ordered one last night.. let's see how long it will take them to ship internationally. i hope i dont pay any duties when they get here.. man, i'm excited to get these and give them a listen! damn, i promised not to buy anymore headphones this year
tongue.gif
i'm so bad!

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #1,267 of 3,117
Received mine. Must say even when not burned in, they sound excellent. My only complaint (my fault, though) is that the 1/4 plug + the adapter to convert it to 1/8 = HUGE on a portable mp3 player. (I accidently ordered the wrong one D: )

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #1,268 of 3,117
Quote:

My understanding is the MS-1 is actually closer in sonic signature to the RS-2 than the SR-225

Somehow I find that hard to believe, but you have made me more curious about the MS-1. I think I will purchase some and give them a try. Thanks.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #1,269 of 3,117
Quote:

Somehow I find that hard to believe, but you have made me more curious about the MS-1. I think I will purchase some and give them a try. Thanks.

Oops! Maybe I didn't get one important point across!

What I was trying to say was that the sound "signature" was relatively close to the RS-2. Not the sound "quality"!

The impression I got after distilling about 2.3 tons of posts on these cans is that the SR-225 "sounds" somewhat like RS-1 and the MS-1 "sounds" somewhat like RS-2.

...or something like that!
tongue.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #1,270 of 3,117
Finally got it!
rs1smile.gif

It will take a few days for me to make a final decision on how well I like them, but so far I'm not absolutely, completely, totally blown away like I had expected to be. Though I do find them to be very good. Perhaps I need to 'grow' into them.

I gotta say the build quality isn't quite what I had hoped for. The pair I have has several scuffs and the cord for the right phone is about 1 inch shorter than the left so it hangs crooked from the 'Y'.
mad.gif

I'll have to figure out something to do with the cord. I use my phones at my desk so I've got a lot of extra cord getting in the way, and its heavy so I keep knocking my PA2v2 over.

I have an AV-710 and I have my master system volume maxed out, wave at 1/2 and my PA2v2 at 3/4. Do I have something wrong? It seems that everything is set very high. I would think that these levels together should be unlistenably loud.

So far I really like using reverse 414 pads, I find them more open and comfortable than the comfies.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding, there is literally no soundstage compared to my PPs. It takes a lot of the positioning out of some 5.1 DVD-As I have laying around, a small bummer as I was surprise how well my PPs handled this. Super-leaky, I saw in another thread someone said PPs were really leaky, but that isn't quite so, they have nothing on these. Bass is excellent, less boomy than my PPs but still impactful, really it's just perfect. Mids and highs are far better than on my PPs, especially in the highs there is no comparison. These sound fuller, more detailed, clearer, and smoother overall. Very close, but perhaps slightly less forward then my PPs.

Day 2---------------

I was going to submit this last night, but I decided to make sure to listen more before writing in. OK, so I was rather negative because they didn't do so hot on Dark Side of the Moon, which is what I like to test with first. "The Wall" and Wish You Were Here sounds really great on these. Stadium Arcadium was a treat, Def Leppard was fun, and Amon Tobin, Dido, and Jet were far better than on my PPs. On the other hand so far I like AC-DC Live and Garbage better on my PPs. I still need more testing on Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, and Nirvana as I haven't been able to decide on a favorite for these yet. So much to listen to all over again!

I would say that these MS-1s are less forward than my PPs, but more neutral and are far better at highs. Cymbals sound like "CRASH" rather than "scratch" and Fiona Apple's highs were effortless, compared to the near squeal on my PPs. Bass is richer and overall better than on my PPs. Overall the MS-1s are better, but it makes me realize just how good the PPs and KCS-75s are for the price.

I'm really liking my MS-1s a lot more today! Hopefully even more tomorrow!
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #1,271 of 3,117
geekbanter, my MS-1s grow on me every time I listen to them. I'd say they're definitely the best $100 I've spent on my search for my perfect headphone, and I haven't once thought of selling them. They have made me consider selling some of my other headphones however, since I don't really listen to them much anymore now that I have the MS-1s
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #1,272 of 3,117
After 5 days of listening either my ears can't differentiate headphones well or they sound very similar to my modded KSC-75 but with more soundstage.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #1,273 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by roboboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After 5 days of listening either my ears can't differentiate headphones well or they sound very similar to my modded KSC-75 but with more soundstage.

Yeah; they do sound quite similar, don't they. The KSC75 is an excellent value in phones at that, even unmodded. I quite often suggest KSC75s to someone thinking of MS-1s but not anxious to spend a bunch of extra bucks for a while.

.....I know my wife really likes mine.
frown.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #1,274 of 3,117
Quote:

What I was trying to say was that the sound "signature" was relatively close to the RS-2. Not the sound "quality"!

OK, that makes more sense. I see you have the MS-2 as well. How does it differ from the MS-1, in sound "quality"?

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #1,275 of 3,117
Quote:

OK, that makes more sense. I see you have the MS-2 as well. How does it differ from the MS-1, in sound "quality"?

Better! Just "better"!

The bass extends somewhat lower with a bit more impact. The mids are a also better with better resolution and retrieval of detail and the highs are a bit extended which may seem to some as being a tad brighter, but it adds to the realism up there. And the soundstage is increased substantially. The MS-2i "sound" the same as MS-1, but the SQ is increased in every category.

Once you go there, it's hard to go back!

Some folks find them to be a bit heavy, though.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back