Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Oct 7, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #61 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
I think I'm going to ask Santa for a pair of MS-1's.

HO-HO-HO

I can't live here without a Grado experience at least once! It just wouldn't be right.

Yeah I was thinking that. I hear all the rave things about grado and i figured the ms1 deserves a shot though 100 dollars hurts the bank. I hope its a significant difference between what I have now(i guess it sounds somewhat dark) and to that.
eek.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #62 of 3,117
I have a question. Are the mids/treable on the MS-1s harsh? I was reading about they on an older thread and someone with sensitive ears found them fatiguing... I consider my ears to be pretty senitive so for you all are they some what fatiguing?

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #63 of 3,117
Did you notice if the individual with the sensitive ears had any other brands of cans listed?

I've noticed that folks with "Senns"-ative ears sometimes find Grado/Alessandro cans to be somewhat bright!

.....no flaming, no flaming! I'm considering Senns HD-600 as my complementary classical cans to go with my MS2i
600smile.gif

For the record; I find my MS-1s to have a very pleasant midrange and treble. No problem even with my MS2i which are considered by many to be even a slight bit brighter than MS-1. But no harshness at all in my opinion on either!

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #64 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaBoLoUsRmX
I have a question. Are the mids/treable on the MS-1s harsh? I was reading about they on an older thread and someone with sensitive ears found them fatiguing... I consider my ears to be pretty senitive so for you all are they some what fatiguing?

Like F107plus5 mentioned, It's far from harsh, it's very articulate and very much similar to what you can hear in higher end cans. The very reason I choose MS-1 over any Grado Prestige series (SR60, SR80 & SR125) is because MS-1 has that "tamed" but extended highs - which translates into sweet non fatiguing treble. SR series are well known for their "in your face" brightness which appeal to some but can be harsh for those not familiar with Gradoesque, those needing slightly mellow presentation can look into MS. I call it the missing link between Sennheiser and Grado
blink.gif
lambda.gif

reivaj & Narius:
Congratulations! you will not regret it. Once you receive them, expect to burn in for at least 50 hours, it will be slightly sibilant out of the box but will be gone with use.

nickchen:
Yep, I know what you mean hahaha. Swithching between my MS-1 and PortaPro gives me that feeling too.
lambda.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #65 of 3,117
i am a fan just got mine like 3 days ago, been burning them in for a while and they sound freaking awesome now. The bass is perfect amount for me, i am loving them. I perfer them to my A900s right now for music! which is crazy!

Oct 8, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #66 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaBoLoUsRmX

I find them sort of harsh unequalized and prefer to use an equalizer to tame them, but that might be just my ears. It's not that their bright, that's not the issue at all. The treble isn't harsh at all. It's the upper midrange peaks that do it. But again, that could just be due to the frequencies that my ear shape brings out.

Oct 8, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #67 of 3,117
Not harsh at all. Could even be a little more treble for my taste. With "normal" (non quartermodded) pads, I regard the MS1 as slightly too dark.

Oct 8, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #68 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
Not harsh at all. Could even be a little more treble for my taste. With "normal" (non quartermodded) pads, I regard the MS1 as slightly too dark.

One thing is interesting here, and is something we probably don't want to lose sight of.

The MS-1 is, if nothing else, just another Grado! In the over all scheme of things, other than perhaps RS-2, the MS-1 is the warmest of all the current production Grados'!

While we're havin' a lot of fun telling the world that the MS-1 is not a typically bright and lively Grado, we don't want to forget that the "fun" exciting Grados are exactly what a lot of folks are looking for!

We can cheerfully point to the "other" Alessandros' with the "Grado" name!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #69 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
....we don't want to forget that the "fun" exciting Grados are exactly what a lot of folks are looking for!

Grados are nutty expensive outside the US. I tend to use my MS1 slightly EQed towards a more "gradoish" sound signature, works quite well.

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #70 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
Grados are nutty expensive outside the US. I tend to use my MS1 slightly EQed towards a more "gradoish" sound signature, works quite well.

Excellent point!

I'm gonna remember that the next time we get one of those theads(rightfully)complaining of the costs of Grados' in other lands.

......I'll be darned if I'm gonna resurrect that thread right now though!
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #71 of 3,117
So 50 hour burn in period? Is that the case with every pair of headphones? Do they sound good out the box and just alot better afterwards? lol just asking questions since this is my first time spending over 40 dollars on something of this sort.

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #72 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by haastyle
i am a fan just got mine like 3 days ago, been burning them in for a while and they sound freaking awesome now. The bass is perfect amount for me, i am loving them. I perfer them to my A900s right now for music! which is crazy!

WOW! that's really something hahahaha. Taking over A900 is not an easy feat. With further use I admit that MS-1 really kick butt once the sweet spot has been identified (subjective to the listener ears that is)
lambda.gif

reivaj:
Burn in applies to all headphones and speakers. They will be good out of the box but it will be slightly raw. There's one very cool sticky thread in Head-Fi main forum about Burn In that everyone should read

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #74 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj
Yeah I was thinking that. I hear all the rave things about grado and i figured the ms1 deserves a shot though 100 dollars hurts the bank. I hope its a significant difference between what I have now(i guess it sounds somewhat dark) and to that.
eek.gif

For my tastes and budget, $100 is a starting point. What are those cans shown in your photobucket? I haven't a clue.

Quote:

In your own opinion are the headphones worthy of the 100 dollar pricetag, cost too much for what you get, or are a steal at the price?

From what I've read they're a good choice in the $100 range, depending on your preference. I think many would argue that they're tops for rock at this price. From all I've read, the Grado experience is lacking in soundstage but excels in other areas.

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #75 of 3,117
Quote:

In your own opinion are the headphones worthy of the 100 dollar pricetag, cost too much for what you get, or are a steal at the price?

Bang for the buck you mean?. We'll lets just say that i have been lurking in Head-Fi for 3 months and after much debating (with myself) I resolved to get MS-1. For the same price range, my choices were SR60, SR80, ATH-ES5, PX100 and a few more. Like I mentioned before, I find SR60 and SR80 to be a bit too Bright for my taste. I listen to a lot of very peaky and agressive music. SR60 and SR80 does well delivering them but the brightness can become sibilant to my ears. SR125 price tag is way higher than MS-1. I had a good chance to listen to SR325i, which is like 3 times the price of MS-1 and that did not impress me either. The only Grado Prestige Series that I deem worth the price is SR225. And I can tell you that MS-1 after being modded with holed comfies or HD414 sounded similar to SR225 with bowls. It is a steal actually considering the price. If you wana know what I think MS-1 worth? it's more likely in the range of $180

Users who are viewing this thread

Back